FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Turkey hunting suspended in a certain area of Maine.

Brad Eden

There is a manhunt going on for a fugitive that is accused of killing a police officer in Maine. The governor in cooperation with the MEIF&W have suspended Youth Day (today) and the regular wild turkey hunting season until further notice....in the immediate area of the search/manhunt.

Info on suspended Turkey Season in specific area.

Just a notice, please don't spin this into a vitriolic diatribe. 

This makes sense since research will show this individual is dangerous.

salmontogue

There is danger in the woods and most of it involves humans.  In 2009, 80,000 marijuana plants were seized on one plantation by law enforcement officers in an area of Washington County Maine where I routinely hunt. 

Anyone hunting in Northern Maine needs to be mindful of marijuana plantations.  They are there albeit smaller than the 2009 bust.  If you come across one, get away quickly and silently.  Do not explore as some are booby trapped.  I'm not aware of serious violence but the possibility is there.  Since 2009, I have come across plots in areas that are in the middle of nowhere, most of them reasonably close to water.

I do a lot of scouting for game and trout streams by ATV.  Backwoods activity should always be approached with caution.

Perk

10009981_H12146471-600x774.jpg

Marc Ret

Hopefully the situation in ME with this piece of trash doesn't drag on as long as a similar manhunt here in the Poconos a few years ago. IIRC, it took close to two months to find Eric Frien after he shot several PA state troopers. Best of luck to your LEOs in catching this guy. 

lee sykes

That area is pretty much just a huge bog. I hunted deer there 30 years ago and have had no desire to go back.  If He is still there the threat is likely neutralized. 

lee sykes

Search over. They took him alive.  

Brad Eden

Haven't heard if they have reopened that area to hunting. They may be looking for and collecting any evidence etc.

gunsrus
On 4/28/2018 at 1:51 PM, lee sykes said:

Search over. They took him alive.  

I'll never understand "took him alive" .

lee sykes

I only said that because I thought it was doubtful that He would make it through three cold, rainy nights in semi-flooded terrain without proper shelter, clothing or food.  I wasn't suggesting that vigilante justice should or would ensue. 

Brad Eden
logo

mefishwildlife.com

ATTENTION HUNTERS!

The Emergency Proclamation issued by Governor Paul R. LePage which closed to hunting the area surrounding last week’s manhunt will continue to be in effect through Monday, April 30, the opening day of turkey hunting season. It is anticipated that the Governor will lift the hunting ban soon. Further updates regarding the Emergency Proclamation will be provided as new information becomes available. We thank everyone for their continued patience and understanding.

Brad Eden

This has been lifted. Hunting in those areas is now open.