ccavacini

Natural gas heaters for garage

ccavacini

Have two garages (side by side), each about  500 square feet.  I'd like to get a wall mounted natural gas heater for each.  Looked at Dyna Glo and Mr. Heater.  I'd like to get them soon as we are remodeling and the gas lines are ready to be put in.

All I need is something to keep the temp around 45-50 degrees in the winter.  Neither garage is insulated.

Blower?

Thermostat?

Been looking at this one   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DPZ5B6E/?coliid=I37FQK61NHUR1G&colid=1UM9OS5T5ZDZL&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

max2

This winter I have been on two different jobs in a row in which they had new installed heaters. One in natural gas and the other in LP. Identical heaters and worked awesome . One in an oversize  two car garage and the other in a shop type building. The name was Hot dawg . 

salmontogue
1 hour ago, max2 said:

This winter I have been on two different jobs in a row in which they had new installed heaters. One in natural gas and the other in LP. Identical heaters and worked awesome . One in an oversize  two car garage and the other in a shop type building. The name was Hot dawg . 

Hot Dawg heaters are made by Modine, one of the oldest and best in the business.  I have a large Hot Dawg in my four car garage and a Modine in my nearly 3K square foot two and one-half story storage/utility/repair barn.  Both are LP and work flawlessly.

Perk

frak

What a great idea.  You’ll gain more usage out of your garages than even you think.

i put an infrared on my porch just to turn a cold evening into a chilly one and I think I gained a months useage of that porch on each side of winter.

studdog

Get enough capacity that you can warm the space up quickly.  I had a ceiling mounted unit that work great.  If your going to keep the garage's warm all winter the Tube type might be worth looking at.

UplandHntr

I have a large garage and have always used a 155k propane torpedo heater. Works great but the noise it pumps out makes it hard to carry on a conversation. I know other with ceiling mounted nat gas units and they arent as noisy. Or so it seems. Torpedo units dont generally have a thermostat either.

Bobby

I bought one similar to the link provided, paid a bit less at Menards. Have a 30,000 BTU unit and it keeps my wifes insulated She-Shack too warm. I'm moving that one to my garage, also insulated but more volume and replacing hers with a 20,000 BTU unit. The smaller unit should allow more temp control. With the larger unit on setting one it would get to 60 or so (this is on a 15 degree day) on level 2 it went to the high 70's. There are 5 levels but no "real" thermostat. I will also add a small fan in the room to circulate the air. 

25/06

If you are going to work in there don't mess around make sure the units are vented.

If it were me I would insulate both garages, With the cost of insulation you will see the quick return on investment.

Even 3.5" R13 un-faced friction fit, is only going to run you 35 cents a sqft.  15 cents for white vapor barrier and you have a clean white garage that you can finish later if you like.

salmontogue

I should have mentioned in my previous reply that both Modine heaters are vented and both are the hanging type.  Despite oxygen depletion sensors on the non-vented type, it cannot be healthy to breathe in the products of combustion.  In addition, the non-vented type create substantial condensation.  Even the wall unit in my ice fishing shanty is vented through what I believe is called a B vent, triple wall pipe draws in air through the outer ring in the pipe and exhausts through the center.

Perk

chilly460

That unit you linked should be fine, had a similar one in a 32x24ft and it easily kept it 60*, although it is insulated.  Amazing how much easier it is to get my butt out to the garage and get work done when it's not freezing in the workspace.  

ccavacini

Thanks for all your replies...went with a Mr. Heater 30,000 BTU unit with fan and thermostat.  That should be fine for the garage.