FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
bennelli-banger

is this thinking stupid?????

bennelli-banger

Firestone just told me I have a nail in the sidewall of one of my tires on my 2 year old pickup...31k...can't repair it, can't just put one new tire on (figures).  However, the tire pressure only drops about 10 lbs, bottoming out at around 27 psi...haven't driven this rig since my last hunt around 1/8...so, it has been in there almost 4 months.  I'm thinking I should just keep driving the truck as-is.  The interesting thing is that the only place I will be driving this truck this fall is my pheasant hunting destination, and that farmer is actually a tire dealer...he can get me virtually any tires I want...I am thinking I would just buy the tires, have them stored there, and have his hired man/tire tech put them on later in the fall, after I have gotten 4 or 5 trips in, or, if/when I have an issue.  Between now and then I will drive the truck some to see if that tire holds air while being driven...but it has sat for 4 months and only lost 10lbs of air at the most, and that was when it was very cold here...dumb thought????

Clueless1

You are putting much more pressure on the tire when driving, especially over bumps ets.  That nail is coming out sometime, you are hoping it doesn't do it catastrophically at a terrible moment. 

bennelli-banger

that is why I posted...thanks....sounds like my thinking was, in fact, stupid...good to have a sounding board!  now I can get those General Grabber AT/2's that were discussed a week or so ago...

dogrunner

Why can’t they patch it?  

bennelli-banger
1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

Why can’t they patch it?  

because of its location, in the sidewall...I have heard that before...

Brad Eden
5 minutes ago, bennelli-banger said:

because of its location, in the sidewall...I have heard that before...

Yes, me too. I've had tires that had a hole in sidewall and couldn't take a patch/plug. It's standard, as there are no cords running around sidewall.

uplandave

If you have a limited slip you will have to factor in the repair cost of new clutch packs. The difference in pressure will ruin the rear end. Been there done that. Dave

bennelli-banger
7 minutes ago, uplandave said:

If you have a limited slip you will have to factor in the repair cost of new clutch packs. The difference in pressure will ruin the rear end. Been there done that. Dave

4 new tires sound pretty cheap, eh????

max2

How about if your spare is the same tire that is currently on the vehicle - you replace one tire with the spare and purchase one new tire. keep the two new tires always together & front to back during rotation time . At 31 thousand miles I would be look'n for all new tires. Like the ole saying " that's about as funny as a flat tire"

bennelli-banger
2 hours ago, max2 said:

How about if your spare is the same tire that is currently on the vehicle - you replace one tire with the spare and purchase one new tire. keep the two new tires always together & front to back during rotation time . At 31 thousand miles I would be look'n for all new tires. Like the ole saying " that's about as funny as a flat tire"

good idea...i like that.  a lot.  I am at 31k on these tires, which came standard with the truck when new....so you would just replace  them all now?  Bottom line,  I am at 8/32'nds according to the firestone tech...

cajunl

Swap the spare if it is the same tire. For the new spare....research and buy the brand of tire you want to replace the 31k tires with when the time comes. When you need to replace the 3 tires with 31k  on them now. Your spare will be brand new and you buy 3 more same brand to replace. Good to go!

bennelli-banger
2 hours ago, cajunl said:

Swap the spare if it is the same tire. For the new spare....research and buy the brand of tire you want to replace the 31k tires with when the time comes. When you need to replace the 3 tires with 31k  on them now. Your spare will be brand new and you buy 3 more same brand to replace. Good to go!

good idea...thanks

max2
5 hours ago, bennelli-banger said:

good idea...i like that.  a lot.  I am at 31k on these tires, which came standard with the truck when new....so you would just replace  them all now?  Bottom line,  I am at 8/32'nds according to the firestone tech...

If it's a 1/2 ton or larger truck with stock tires you may have another 4 -6 thousand miles before replacement is inevitable. That was my thinking. Back in the day they had these places called junk yards. Here you would have been able to go look through stacks of old & used tires and possibly find one to hold you over. That might have worked best in your current situation .  "Most" tire stores will match or beat a competitors  price so your not  tied to one store.  Big mark up on tires also.  In re-thinking my post above I would like to retract it :)  If times are a little tight right now for full replacement option  perhaps look for two similar tires ( free if possible) throw them on the back and then wear everything out and replace down the road  when the time might be better. Summer is just around the corner........ though it's been snowing here all day.....

terrym

My thinking is it doesn't matter if you drive a Mercedes or 50yr old Pinto. A 2018 Ford Raptor or 25yr old F150. The only thinking keeping it on the road and protecting you and your loved one's skin are 4 small tire contact patches roughly the size of your palm. I always default to having fresh/quality rubber on my vehicles. Cheapest part of owning a vehicle I say. Tire technology improves continually. What not take advantage of that?

bennelli-banger

been running around town today in the truck...haven't really driven it in 4 months...all 4 tires read about 36 psi...the one with the nail included...it could have happened 7 months ago for all i know...the reason it got low was the cold...again, it bottomed at about 27 psi...put more air in yesterday at firestone, it hasn't lost any today...i will put new tires on...probably the general grabber at/2's...at walmart...gonna buy the warranty deal...shouldn't ever be more than 60 miles from a wal mart with a tire center...mitchell, huron, bismarck, dickinson, pierre, williston, minot...lewiston, billings, hope to cover more of Montana in due time...