FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
bennelli-banger

is this thinking stupid?????

VizslavsBird

The reason side wall holes are not patched is they are thinner than the tread area and flex.  Patches tend to fail when they flex.  Too much liability trying to fix something you know will fail and may possibly hurt someone.

If you are determined to run a tire with a hole in the sidewall, put it on the back end of your vehicle.  Easy to steer a flat/blowout on the back end than one on the front.  Use the savings on the tires to bump up your life/medical insurance, your loved ones will appreciate that.

Bede

Imagine killing a kid in an accident when the tire blows out because you could afford an F150 but tried to avoid buying two tires. 

I loved Hankook Dyanpros on my former truck. Lasted a looooooooong time. 

MNice
17 hours ago, bennelli-banger said:

been running around town today in the truck...haven't really driven it in 4 months...all 4 tires read about 36 psi...the one with the nail included...it could have happened 7 months ago for all i know...the reason it got low was the cold...again, it bottomed at about 27 psi...put more air in yesterday at firestone, it hasn't lost any today...i will put new tires on...probably the general grabber at/2's...at walmart...gonna buy the warranty deal...shouldn't ever be more than 60 miles from a wal mart with a tire center...mitchell, huron, bismarck, dickinson, pierre, williston, minot...lewiston, billings, hope to cover more of Montana in due time...

Mike, there's a salvage yard outside of Proctor on HWY 2 that sells used tires. I had the same problem and found a single matched tire with the same wear for $50. 

bennelli-banger

I get it...my question really just stems from ignorance...I didn't drive the truck for about 4 months, didn't know it had a nail in a tire, and currently running around town it holds air just fine...but certainly isn't worth the risk of even having a hunting trip inconvenienced let alone hurting someone...

bennelli-banger
5 minutes ago, MNice said:

Mike, there's a salvage yard outside of Proctor on HWY 2 that sells used tires. I had the same problem and found a single matched tire with the same wear for $50. 

thanks!  may take a look at that...appreciate the tip.

MNice
2 minutes ago, bennelli-banger said:

thanks!  may take a look at that...appreciate the tip.

http://www.markssalvage.com/

Randy S

I woke up one morning in Montana with two flat tires both with holes in the sidewall. I had a set of replacement tires at home. Had a small shop put inner tubes in my flats and ended up driving on them for more than a year, 

Craig Doherty

Yes.

Chukarman

Get some goop and a plug kit and PLUG it. I have done this plenty of times. Then rotate the plugged tire to the spare position and run your spare. No biggie.

dogrunner
4 minutes ago, Chukarman said:

Get some goop and a plug kit and PLUG it. I have done this plenty of times. Then rotate the plugged tire to the spare position and run your spare. No biggie.

Same thing I thought. Slime. 

bennelli-banger

because the spare is new, and the existing tires have 8/32nd's of tread left, they insist that this would be an issue due to the truck being a 4 x 4....

Don Steese

They CAN patch that hole, but they WON'T. I had a sidewall puncture patched on a rental car in Mexico and it held fine for the couple months I drove it. I think the guys here in the states are worried about the liability issues??

Flush
4 hours ago, bennelli-banger said:

because the spare is new, and the existing tires have 8/32nd's of tread left, they insist that this would be an issue due to the truck being a 4 x 4....

If your truck has a limited slip rear differential and you put the spare on the rear, it may wear out the limited slip.

However If your truck has an open rear diff, or you put the spare on the front and only use 4x4 occasionally and on soft slippery conditions at slow speeds when you do (how most people use 4x4) it would really be a non issue. If you had a full-time 4x4 or AWD system it would be different, but assuming this is a truck with a conventional transfer case and 99% of the time you drive in 2wd that spare on the front would be fine. 

With all that said if you got 31k miles out of the tires and at 8/32 they are at least half worn, probably best to just get a new set if you can afford it. If money were tight you could put the spare on the front, or buy a used tire closer to the wear level of the other three. I've done all of the above scenarios at different times. 

Bullwinkle

Plugging, patching, etc.. a sidewall is bad business. If you want to save the tire put a tube in it.

Chukarman
On 5/3/2018 at 4:44 PM, bennelli-banger said:

I seriously doubt this will make any difference. You do have differentials that allow the wheel to turn at different speeds and probably a viscous coupling between the front and rear axles.