FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
bennelli-banger

wal mart for tires?

bennelli-banger

seems like a good idea, as they are everywhere, and if you buy the roadside hazard warranty, which I assume they sell, you'd never be too far from a 7 day a week repair/replacement outlet...

dogrunner

Try Sam's or Costco. 

Tracker 6

I've had no problem with Walmart tires . Just make sure you retighten the lugnuts by hand , they are a pain to loosen back in the middle of nowhere.

Steve Hunts

I got sick of dealing with the local tire stores. No appointments, leave your car for the day, etc. Bought from an online retailer and my local mechanic will do the changeover from the winter tires.

Brad Eden

I can't see why Wal Mart wouldn't be a good choice. I mean, a particular tire brand and model is the same anywhere. You want them installed and balanced corectly, but but isn't rocket science I don't think. Andnthey are everywhere, but not all sell tires.

My mechanic, who runs a small shop close by, orders tires for me at his discount from Tire Warehouse. He then puts them on rims, balances, installs etc. I grew not to be a fan of Hankook tires, probably because they weren't a high enough ply ...kept getting flats. (Can't remember exact Model). Twice he was able to call Tire Warehouse who replaced the tires because they were under warranty or considerred defective.  One had a sidewall puncture and coukdnt be repaired, the other had a wrench stuck in the tread, I ran over it just right somewhere, not kidding. Knock on wood, have had good luck with the General Grabbers.

Scrappy

The last time I needed tires I decided I wanted to give the general grabbers a try. Walmart was the only local place that had them, so that's where I got them. My thinking was the same as yours, Walmart are everywhere so emergency service shouldn't be problem. So far so good. They have rotated them a couple times with no issues.

Jazz4Brazo
6 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I can't see why Wal Mart wouldn't be a good choice. I mean, a particular tire brand and model is the same anywhere. You want them installed and balanced corectly, but but isn't rocket science I don't think. Andnthey are everywhere, but not all sell tires.

My mechanic, who runs a small shop close by, orders tires for me at his discount from Tire Warehouse. He then puts them on rims, balances, installs etc. I grew not to be a fan of Hankook tires, probably because they weren't a high enough ply ...kept getting flats. (Can't remember exact Model). Twice he was able to call Tire Warehouse who replaced the tires because they were under warranty or considerred defective.  One had a sidewall puncture and coukdnt be repaired, the other had a wrench stuck in the tread, I ran over it just right somewhere, not kidding. Knock on wood, have had good luck with the General Grabbers.

What happened to the wrench???

Brad Eden
Just now, Jazz4Brazo said:

What happened to the wrench???

Cant remember. See the Memory Topic from...I can't remember when, but I think there was one.

Jazz4Brazo

I can relate to that 😱...I think 🤯xD

steveziv

I buy from Tire Rack and have them shipped a local garage for installation.

But I'd use Wal-Mart if one of mine had a service center.

VizslavsBird

Code Numbers on the sides of tires tell the tire folks when and for whom the tire was built.  Wal-Mart tires will not be serviced by many private tire shops or folks other than Wal-Mart.   And if you really want to see if there is a difference between Brand X at Wal-Mart and the same tire at a reputable tire shop all you need is a scale.  In tires, you truly get what you pay for.

bennelli-banger
6 hours ago, VizslavsBird said:

Code Numbers on the sides of tires tell the tire folks when and for whom the tire was built.  Wal-Mart tires will not be serviced by many private tire shops or folks other than Wal-Mart.   And if you really want to see if there is a difference between Brand X at Wal-Mart and the same tire at a reputable tire shop all you need is a scale.  In tires, you truly get what you pay for.

you are suggesting that they wouldn't be the same tires? is Sears reputable?  Firestone?  Sam's club? Just curious...I bought at least 3 sets of Michelin LTX A/T tires for my Suburbans back in the '90's from Sam's..all 3 sets went 75k+...whatever they were or weren't, I sure thought highly of them.  fwiw, my motivation for considering walmart isn't price, but the fact that there are walmart's all over, and if I needed to fall back on the road hazard warranty, I could throw a spare on and get things fixed fairly easily.  obviously, I want a quality tire from the get-go, so I wouldn't go that route if I believed they are selling me an inferior tire...there is no doubt that they squeeze their suppliers harder than any other retailer...maybe your statement is true????  I wouldn't rule it out.

VizslavsBird

I have friends in the front end alignment business in one town and another friend in the tire business in another state.  Neither knows the other.  Since I have always ran Michelin tires that is what I have seen compared.

The first thing I have noticed these guys doing is reading the code number on the tire sidewall.  Rubber in tires has an expiration date according to my BIL that was a chemical engineer for General Tire for 25+ years.  That expiration time is why good salvage yards do not sell tires more than 5 years old.  Also why some places will not fix a flat on a tire that is aged.  Its not that they want the money for the sales as much as they are scared of the liability of an old tire failing.  That long code also has tells those with the knowledge if the tire was built to "discount" specs.  Those tires will weigh less than the 'same' style tire at a major tire shop.  Major tire distributors from what I have seen will not accept "dicsount tires" road hazard warranty.

I have seen "discount" tires demonstrated next to major tire company tires.  Both were new and never mounted.  Pressure is applied downward on the tire on a waxed floor and then the person applying that pressure, twists the tire.   The major tire company tires wont twist on the same floor, the 'discount'  tires tend to 'squeak' and twist. 

As an aside, ***-****is a client of my friend in the alignment business.  Over the last 8 years one store has paid him nearly 6 figures annually to replace studs and lug nuts their minimum wage employees don't get right.  I know another guy that retired from welding in the Air Force and now welds only rims that have been messed up by someone mounting tires.  ***-**** supplies much more of his business than major tire distributors. 

You must decide what you are willing to accept, not me.  I'm just passing on info I have observed over the last 40 years from friends that make a living with tires.  For me, I am willing to be inconvenienced a day or two to stay on the shinny side of the grass even if I have to drink cheap beer and eat beans to afford the extra cost.

VizslavsBird

I am not saying Wal-Mart is not reputable.  IMHO any tire from Wal-Mart, Sams, Costco, etc is probably not the 'same' tire that a major tire company is selling.  I am using major tire company as a description of tire distributors/retailers.  Firestone, Michelin, Bridgestone, etc are manufactures to me, not distributors.   

Dakota Dogman

I'm dense, just want to make sure that I am clearly understanding what you all are saying...

As an example

A Cooper AT3 Sold at Walmart may not be the same tire as a Cooper AT3 sold at Fleet Supply? 

What about if you have to "call in / order in" a tire instead of buying it "off the floor"?

God Bless,