Sign in to follow this  
DocE

CBD (cannibidol) and the Vet med Conundrum

DocE

The Veterinary community is between a rock and a hard place when it comes to
prescribing CBD. Although it is legal in all 50 states, it is still illegal under Federal Law.
You can read about the problem in Vet Med here : http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=48152

There is LOTS of CBD research for canines going on in England and it is being shown to have huge benefits in cancer patients (even with lymphoma) and CBD has nearly a 100% rate in preventing seizures. Another recent (British) study has shown that it is a super good medication for osteoarthritis.
Our older dog (nearly 10 y/o) has arthritis in his knee (where he had a torn cruciate)
and has been on CBD for 3 weeks and now he runs and jumps like he did when he was 5.

Additional info: If you are going to try CBD for your dog, make sure that it is "CO2 Extraction", and is in either Krill Oil or MCT (Medium chain triglycerides).
If you give a dog a "human type" CBD, the absorption is only 13% to 19% and that's the reason for krill oil or mct, then the absorption is excellent.

Urban_Redneck

So much is unknown and unproven at this time. Some in the natural feeding community are touting it for any and every ailment or infirmity. There is a decent compendium of what is known and what is not in the latest B-Naturals.com newsletter. She also has a warning about purity and importance of choosing products without THC.

Cass

Doc I'm looking to try melatonin or CBD for my overly stimulated cocker. I'm thinking cbd is probably the better option.  Could you PM me with good sources that are cost efficient as well? 

DocE

Cass

Sadly, you won't be able to import CBD  from the US into CA until your law changes -- the last I heard is goping to be in October.

The one that I like best is from  www.kingkanine.com

Cass

You can buy CBD oil here all over the place. Heck I have 36 pot shops literally 5 mins down the road from me lol (while that number seems ridiculous it is not an exaggeration.  Although weed isn't legal till October Canada has always been pro-pot lol and we have lots of dispensaries that you can shop at without so much as showing ID).  Just wondering if there's a brand or specific dosage that is best. 

DocE

In the King Kalm package is an insert that shows the correct amount to use.

Depends on dog's size,  and how bad the symptoms are.

Cass

Picking some up today. Not sure if I'll get straight oil or the treats that they have but I'll keep you posted.  

Cass

apparently this is 1000mg strength. How much should i give? 

GraceinVA
1 hour ago, Cass said:

Easy. You eat one, then give him one. Wait 15-20 minutes and repeat. Last one awake, wins.

Cass

Lol I just got the regular tincture.  Tried 4 drops this morning and it certainly does take the edge off of him.  Still busy like a spaniel should be but he hasn't been a hazard around the kids today. 

DocE
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, Cass said:

In the King Kalm package is an insert that shows the correct amount to use.

Depends on dog's size,  and how bad the symptoms are