hexfly

Boot height

hexfly

Throwing down the cash for some new leather. Thought I’d try some Irish Setters, with the Boa system. But the Boa is only available on the unisulated 7” model, not the 9”.  Would you consider the 7” boot?  I feel it would be enough support, but I’ve never had a short boot. Any thoughts on the matter?

topdog1961

Shorter boots end up with a lot more debris in them. 

grouse28

I checked at our local RedWing store and was told the boa system would not be available till fall. I had seen them advertised in a sporting magazine? I have a pair of the bean boots with the boa system. I like it. As to boot height, personal choice.. I do not think a high boot is much of an at vantage unless it is a heavy duty boot, unlike an upland boot. Full disclosure, I broke my ankle in a high Danner on a job site.

Crazy Horse

I always bought 8 and 9 inch boots, insulated and uninsulated. Just for jolly's a few years ago I bought a pair of Redwing 6inch (?), just above the ankle and found them to more than sufficient for small game. Now, if there's snow, well that's when the higher boots come out.

Curt

I hunted a season or two in 6" boots years ago.  Don't recall what make they were now but not Irish Setters.  I didn't care for them and went back to taller boots after the experience, support was the main issue for me.  To be fair, lots of areas we hunt here in PA are steep hill sides where support may be more of an issue than say bird covers in Mi.

drummer's stump

Meindl 10" boot is what I wear for work, I have destroyed every other boot I have tried. Danner, Asolo, ll bean and so on. Hoffman boot in Idaho is the place to get them, stay away from the boots sold through Cabelas, the glue is not the same, and it will fail.

Don Steese

I actually prefer the shorter boot mainly because I have fat calves. The boa system is great, in my opinion. 

Remo
8 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

I always bought 8 and 9 inch boots, insulated and uninsulated. Just for jolly's a few years ago I bought a pair of Redwing 6inch (?), just above the ankle and found them to more than sufficient for small game. Now, if there's snow, well that's when the higher boots come out.

Me too, Cresta hikers from Bean, 6". Wear them all the time until the snow hits. 

Wirehair

I like tall boots for just about everything. 

My everyday work boot is a 12" Hoffman, whether I'm out doing linework or stuck in the ofice. When i get home and outside doing chores it's either a 15" cowboy boot, or18" lacrosse boot. Out for dinner or dressed up and its13" western boots. Hunting and its 16" schnees, ll beans, justin snake boots or 18 lacrosse burleys. I have a pair of 11" meindls but hard ever wear them anymore.

Kieffer

If it were me, I would continue looking for 9".  I end up with too much debris getting in with a shorter boot.

studdog

I vote for shorter boots for most use.  7 inch is about right for me.

oak stob

In a Redwing...the 7” Wingshooter, because of the white sole.

They look the part and will not draw lightning strikes.

Chukarman
23 hours ago, Remo said:

Me too, Cresta hikers from Bean, 6". Wear them all the time until the snow hits. 

DITTO. I use the Bean Cresta boots even  chukar hunting. I have a pair of Limmer Lightweights for really severe country.

max2

Here in NY ~  I have always chosen an 18 inch rubber boot.  

Dogwood
11 hours ago, Chukarman said:

DITTO. I use the Bean Cresta boots even  chukar hunting. I have a pair of Limmer Lightweights for really severe country.

Fine for western hunting.  In the eastern grouse woods you'll end up with a bunch of debris in the boot after an all-day hunt.