FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
MUSTANGER7

Setter keeps getting small sores

MUSTANGER7

Our little pocket setter keeps getting small crusty sores, our vet checked her out and gave her an antibiotic shot about three months ago, the problem went away but has now started to come back vet has now give her antibiotic pills (cefpodoxime) which she's been on for three days. He's not really sure if its just an allergy or something going on in her system. Anyone experience this sort of thing?

aje4

I had something similar with my setters years ago.  I changed to a grain free food and the problem went away.  

rolawson

What aje4 said.

MUSTANGER7

Bella is on a grain free food now and has been for last couple of years.

TonyS

The worst offender is anything Purina.

bill

what kind of grain feed are u using. I have 2 setters That evry year get icthie spots have used keflex it helps have found dipping their feet in a colrox WATER MIX dip make them STAND in it for 3_5 minutes takes care of it for awhile my theory is its some kind of fungus they get from the ground in my area.  I HAVE BEEN USING A PRODUCT CALLED ZOOM DOG ITS REALLY HELPED  NO LICKING. WHATS FUNNY I HAVE THEIR LITTER MATE WHO HAS NEVER HAD A ISSUE WITH WHAT I CALL HOT SPOTS. NO I DONT FEED PURNIA EITHER ( FEEDING TASTE OF THE WILD FOR AWHILE NOW DOGS REALLY LIKE IT) PLUS MIX VEGGIES AND SOMETIMES SARDINES IN WITH FOOD ALL HAVE GOOD SHINNY COATS HEALTHY DOGS. 

MUSTANGER7

Bella is on Diamond Natural. I've ordered some of the Zoom dog hope it helps.

shoot-straight

I fought Allergies with my lab for all of his 12.5 years (and counting). There are a few new drugs available now than just a few years ago.

Best advice is to get in a regular topical treatment schedule 2-3 times a day with something like vitricin. My lab developed resistant strains of bacteria from all the different oral antibiotics. It's not fun. Treat best you can with topical stuff.

Hope another food  trial does the trick. Make sure he only eats the food- no treats! It usually takes a few months to really complete one.

DocE

It might be food, it might be environmental,  it might be nutritional it might be . . . . . . . . . .

Have you used a good probiotic in her food ?  If not, you sure need to.

The best one available is called " iFlora".

MUSTANGER7

Bella's been on her antibiotic a week now and they seem to be working, also stated giving her the Zoom Dog skin additive.