MAArcher

Best used outboard 15-40 hp?

MAArcher

Any recommendations for a used outboard?  Preferably with power tilt/trim and remote controls, but tiller not out of the question.  Looking to repower a 16ft john boat with a blown late 90's Merc 25hp.  Should I go 4 stroke or 2?  I'm gettting a sense that if I could find a Yamaha two stroke I should grab it.

salmontogue

How much beam and is the stern 15 or 20 inch?

Curt

Just my 2 cents from a guy that has owned a bunch of boats over the years. I just don't think you can go wrong with a Yamaha outboard.  For a boat that size the two stroke would be smaller and lighter than the four stroke if that matters to you. 

MAArcher

20", not sure of the beam.  Not really worried about being under powered.  Just wondering what is a tried and true and reliable make/model that I should be looking for.  

salmontogue
9 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

20", not sure of the beam.  Not really worried about being under powered.  Just wondering what is a tried and true and reliable make/model that I should be looking for.  

I wasn't thinking of horsepower so much as trim.  I have a sixteen foot Jon that I use as a floating duck blind.  It has a 20" transom and will handle a heavier four stroke that might be problematic on a 15" model.  It does not take much horsepower to push a Jon but if you want trim/tilt you will be looking in the upper end of your range.  Small (50hp and under) outboards are universally quite good.  I was a partner in a sporting lodge business and we used Yamaha, Mercury and Evinrude/Johnson outboards.  I would give a slight edge to the Evinrudes based on our experience with reliability but access to parts and service should be a consideration.  In the larger outboards there are winners and losers in each manufacturer's lineup.

I restore outboards as a winter hobby and raced hydroplanes as a teenager and twenty-something.  Today's outboards are incredible machines compared to their predecessors.  I generally prefer two strokes on small boats due to the weight issue but I am antique myself and affect trim in any small boat when I am the only occupant.

If buying new, I would look closely at the Evinrude E-Tec in the 15 to 40hp range.  If purchasing used, I would go with whatever is the best deal.  I have a 150hp E-Tec on a 24' center console Hydra-Sports which is a heavy and robust Kevlar-hull all composite boat.  The fuel economy is excellent, the engine is extremely quiet, top speed is ridiculous @ 50+mph and the acceleration will just about knock your head off your shoulders.  It is easily the best large outboard I have owned.

Perk

SelbyLowndes

I recommend Yamaha and I am a four stroke believer.  Less noise, better fuel conservation.  A two stroke Yamaha will be lighter and provide a better hole shot if that matters to you.  ...SelbyLowndes

stripersonfly

MAArcher,

I would strongly encourage you to look at the Evinrude E-Tecs, which I have personal experience with, or other 2 strokes.   The ethanol in gas has made, IMHO, the lower HP 4-strokes a questionable choice.  Putting ethanol in gas used on boats means it is highly likely at some point, that you will get some water in the fuel.  This results in condensation and little 'buggers' forming in the gas.  Smaller 4 stroke engines seem to be given fits by these.  Their fuel injectors cannot stomach them.  I watched people with 25, 30 & 40 HP Honda's, Yammy's and Merc's have to have their engines stripped and cleaned a few times a summer.   Fuel filters just seemed to delay the time between problems. 

5 years ago, when I needed to re-power, I did a bunch of research on this.  The gentleman who worked at the club I belong to in Maine was also an instructor for the Marine Systems Program for the Landing School in Kennebunk, ME.  This is the program that covers all sorts of marine power (diesel, gas, inboard and outboard).  He was not affiliated with any marina, so I think he was unbiased.  He was the one who steered me towards Evinrude E-Tec's.  He said the 2 strokes dealt with the ethanol issues without a hiccup. (FYI, larger 4 strokes don't seem to be as finicky as the smaller HP in regards to ethanol)  The newer E-Tec are also fairly quite, and just about as fuel efficient as the 4 strokes....oh and they weigh less, which can be important on older boats that were designed with lighter 2 strokes in mind.  I just sold mine, but it did not give me a hiccup in 5 years, and started on the first turn of the key in each spring.  Could not be happier.  

Now these were typically 11'- 15' boats that were docked/moored on the water full time from May - Oct, so their exposure is probably much higher than what you would find, so perhaps my concerns do not apply. 

Swamp Collie

Take a look at the Tohatsu 4 strokes also.  Tohatsu builds many of the smaller 4 strokes for the major brands.  My career requires me to be on the water a large part of the time running a fleet of most of the major brand outboards in the 20-90 hp range.  We run several Tohatsu that have been run hard and they have never given us any problems at all  As folks have already mentioned, the new 4 stroke outboards are so advanced from the old 2 strokes that there is no comparison.  Tohatsu or Yamaha would be my choice.

WyomingArt

Yamaha or Evinrude E-tec , 4 stroke for me. Service and parts from a local dealer would be a plus. There's a trend to require cleaner burning motors ( 4 stroke / E-ptec etc) on some rivers and lakes.

Auto-5

I think you have to consider your local dealer service  when buying a boat motor. Years ago in my area once was the go to engine and everything else was a challenge to get worked on.  Not so any more with Mercury and Yamaha now ruling the roost at least in my area. Both 2 cycle and 4 cycle have their pros and cons. 4 stroke  are generally heavier than 2 strokes. Many significantly so. 4strokes are better for trolling imho, if that style of fishing is important to you. Two strokes are light weight powerful and dependable  so that’s something to consider. If you are going to mount it on your boat and leave it that may not be a big deal.. just my .02

MUSTANGER7

I've had 5 flats boats that are designed for shallow running on the flats, one Mercury 2 stroke, the rest where Yamaha four strokes, would not have a two stroke. Because I am no longer able to pole a boat due to shoulder issues I've gone to a small 14ft johnboat that has a steering console (tiller would not be good for shoulders) and it has a 9.9 Suzuki that has remote steering and power tilt/trim I found that generally you have to go up to a 20Hp for those features.

aje4

Yamaha!  4 stroke....they are bullet proof as long as they have their minimal maintenance.  There is a reason all the third world countries run Yammies.....salt water, etc.  they just keep going!  I have 250 V-Tec, 60HP tiller, 70HP and a 6HP kicker....along with two Yamaha jet skis.....

garyRI

4 strokes are a lot heavier. I question that the HP ratings for older boats work for 4 strokes at the higher end of the ratings. And for a 16' jon boat a 15 HP 2 stroke could be fine.

The challenge will be finding a used motor. Lots of dealers dump them on ebay because they don't want to be bothered. These are guys here in Middletown RI who have a great reputation for rebuilt Yamahas: http://www.tonimarine.com/. When the 175 HP on my 23 footer finally dies I will buy a rebuilt from them. Probably 150 HP Yamaha 2 stroke.

Virgil Kane

Sorry no help to you but I find this a very interesting thread. I have a 1965 Mercury 20 HP that runs like a champ and a 1975 7.5 Merc!  I dread the day I have to replace these.  I hear the 4 strokes don't have the speed of the equivalent HP 2 strokes plus they are much heavier.  I looked into the Evinrude E-Tec's but have read many bad reviews on the E-Tec Evinrude with failures after short running times so I'm a bit leery to drop 3 grand + on these. The only time I used a 4 stroke was a rental 9.9 Mercury and in a 14 aluminum fishing boat I felt I could have walked faster.  That 9.9 4 stroke was nowhere near as fast as my old 7.5 Merc on the same boat.  Very disappointing performance from a 9.9.

Virgil

Chukarman

I have an older Evunrude 2 cycle 15 HP that used to push my duck boat. It is much simpler than the 4 cycle Yamaha on my fishing boat.