FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Bird Buster

New AT Tires for Silverado.

Bird Buster

Well after much research and price shopping I have decided on Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires. They are rated extremely high and have decent tread life  warranty. Usually run BFG AT KO but with young son and limited driving can't justify money. Set of 4  -265 75 16 Falkens out door at 600.00 

What do most run on your vehicles for an AT Tire? I don't drive off road enough for a full mud tire so I always look for best all terrain option that also has good highway manners.  Another I considered was Hankook Dynapro ATM. 

BlacknTan

I've heard very good things about the Falken  AT-3's.  I'm due for tires myself, and realistically, since the vast majority of my time is spent on road, and I hate the constant hum of tires at highway speeds, I'm going with Toyo Open Country AT ll's. 

I've had two sets of BFG KO2's and been underwhelmed, so, we'll see...

dogrunner

I have ran these on 6 different trucks with good results. They wear great and traction is also good. 

3DE5F496-F986-4B46-8D73-7E17367D869C.jpeg

salmontogue
1 minute ago, dogrunner said:

I have ran these on 6 different trucks with good results. They wear great and traction is also good. 

3DE5F496-F986-4B46-8D73-7E17367D869C.jpeg

I have also had great luck with Wranglers.  65K on a diesel 3500 SRW Ram with a fair amount of towing is phenomenal.  My first choice.

Perk

Cooter Brown

I've got the Falken tires on my Toyota 4x4.  Excellent tire and good wear, especially for the money.

Recommended to me by Kathy, my tire lady who hasn't steered me wrong yet.

EPbrace

After being underwhelmed with BFG all terrains on my Silverado, I went with General Grabber AT2s and have been more than pleased with the wear and performance. Granted my tire size is 315/70/17, longevity isn't really in the tires favor. Less expensive and so far better wear, I'd buy the general's again in a heartbeat.

Bird Buster

Enjoy reading replies. We all have our likes for sure. I never had good luck with Goodyear but know they are well liked. I also looked at the General Grabber but for cost Falken won out. My truck was bought new in 99 and has 316k on it now. This will be 5th set of tires. Stock were Firestone AT which would get stuck on wet grass and then 3 sets of BFG  AT which I really liked. I would average around 80 to 85K on each set of BFG tires. Really look forward to running the Falkens. 

Cooter how many miles do you have on yours and how have they handled? 

Cooter Brown
18 hours ago, Bird Buster said:

Cooter how many miles do you have on yours and how have they handled? 

Stacey, I had almost 40k when the drive shaft broke, have not fixed it.  The tires have around 40k and look like they could double that.

Bird Buster

Tks Cooter all the reviews said they have great tread life. My brother is also going to try a set. Come on Oct. Ready for North woods run. 

Mike da Carpenter

In need of a new set of tires my my ‘14 Silverado and doing a bunch of reading and research, I’m kinda shying away from going to an AT tire.  Only averaging 16 MPG for an entire year, I’m not convinced that going to an AT tire (and loosing another 2 MPG) is actually worth the trade off.

I could go with another set of OEM tires that are Goodyear Eagle, or possibly Cooper Discoverer HTP.  All I know is I need a new set by the time the snow flies again this year, so there is a little bit of time left to make an informed decision.

sprocket

AT Tires come in 2 tread types - solid center lug and modified S patterns  Solid center lugs will stay quiet on the highway and generally wear better.

Toyo, Firestone, Dunlop used to and others have a solid center lug - Toyos wore like iron but were spendy.  My Firestones are treating me well - no mileage issues, gotta keep them rotating to get the longest life.

I'm not a fan of modified S patterns mostly due to noise.  Full on mud tires will get you crummy mileage and a short tire life unless you off road a lot.

BlacknTan

I see an awful lot of Nitto Terra Grapplers around of late, but, every set I see shows a fair amount of wear. They come as standard equipment on some Toyotas, but I just don't know..

UplandHntr

Ive said this in a few of these threads.. I was hesitant to try the Hercules Terra Trac II LT tires but have been very pleased with them. I know theyre not the popular choice but Im very happy. On a 2010 Suburban

https://www.herculestire.com/tire-details/Hercules/Terra Trac AT II

sprocket

Sir - what kind of mileage do you get from a set of those?  4 or 5 tire rotation?  What percentage on/off road (so paved vs not paved vs really real off road stuff) do you drive?  I'm in the NorthEast and do mostly paved roads, some dirt/logging roads - when I had my Jeep it was Class VI un-maintained roads - sometimes it was dirt, sometimes it was "Do we have a winch?"  Rocks are easy, mud can be tricky...Most places an AT tire was all you needed - We have a "Mud Season' and no-go out in the woods period.

A quick look at the page shows an open tread - no solid center lug but lots of siping and a nice pattern to push things out to the side - big gaps which lead to road noise but otherwise looks nice to me.

Thanks for posting

lee sykes

I just never tire of these (treads) threads.   Years ago, I think there was a thread like this on another board.  Chukarman said He had Yokohamas.  I see He has switched now. We always say that here in Maine, we are about ten years behind the rest of the country.  So about five years ago, I needed tires and said to myself, "Mike seems like a smart guy...I'll try thise Yokes!"  On my second set and they are the best tires I've ever had.  Thanks, Mike!