FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Wives who hunt...

Brad Eden

IMG_0687.JPG

Jo Ann's best turkey to date. Shot 8 years ago. Not this year.

One of the biggest and oldest either of us have shot. Called in off the roost one early morning on an uninhabited offshore island accessed by a causeway bridge. The town and state turned the small island into a hiker and dog walking haven...and there are no more turkeys on it...but loads of dog turds and tourists now.

She has shot a few Jakes as well, but hasn't scored for a couple/few years now. I had her out last Tuesday but the one Gobbler we got to respond never showed a feather. She will Upland hunt with me but not with any real enthusiasm, and will deer hunt if I ask her but doesn't like to shoot a big animal like a deer, but really likes turkey hunting.

This is the slowest year in memory. I have had some pokes at Jakes if I so pleased, but almost a week in and I haven't hung a bird. Maybe the black flies that are due to arrive will get the birds moving and gobbling.

Anyone else turkey hunt with their wife or husband significant other?

NCgrouse

My wife loves to upland hunt. She used to love going turkey hunting......until one day we came out of the woods and I picked 4 ticks out of her hair. That was the end of that game...

rawhide

That reminds me of a fellow bird hunter several decades ago who had a rather intense, turbulent relationship with his wife.  At the start of one season, I cautiously asked how they were getting on.  His reply: "Well we are still checking each other for ticks!"

Clueless1

Have tried to get my wife to go with me.  I don't really have a chance and I know it.  But, just once I wish I could get her to go.  We met in college when I really didn't have a chance to hunt much, so she really didn't have a clue as to how much it really meant to me.  I would talk about hunting, but I think she expected the 'average PA hunter' type that goes out Monday, Saturday Saturday of rifle deer season and doesn't get a deer. 

She is a suburbanite through and through.  By the time I realized that I was too head over heels to care.  I certainly can't complain. 

Millriver

Keep telling my wife she's got to take a day off to hunt turkeys with me. I figure hunt in the morning, late breakfast, then fish in the afternoon. I think she'd love it. She loves to fish and be outdoors. While she's shot clays before, she doesn't have the interest in killing anything.

She's a much better photographer than I and loves to watch the dogs work.  She went bird hunting with me the most she ever had last year. I dragged her through some pretty nasty covers and I think she finally saw why I love it like I do. We had a great weekend camping and hunting in Vermont last Columbus Day.  Will do it again this year.

I also convinced her to go on Halloween, the anniversary of her mother's passing 2 years prior, and it was a great distraction. We promised to spend that day every year hunting birds together. Nothing like a couple of Cockers to take your mind off of things.

I'm still waiting to feel mobile enough to get out after turkeys. I think next week will be the time. 

gunsrus

Probably 20 years ago when I got back into upland , my wife accompanied me and my first GSP into the woods . I think she was more concerned with what I did with the dog than hunting or me . That was it and I'm ok with it .:D

salmontogue

My wife is as much of an outdoorsperson as me which makes life at the edge of the grid quite comfortable.  She particularly loves dogs and horses with all the dirt and confusion that come with them.  We have dogs on the bed every night, her idea not mine.  About the only thing not shared is a taste for beer.  Oh well, you cannot have everything but there is more beer for me.

Perk

atticus

Too early in the morning for Sharon. 

dogrunner
15 minutes ago, atticus said:

Take her on an afternoon hunt, I kill just as many birds at that time and there's usually less hunters. 

Brad Eden
56 minutes ago, atticus said:

I rarely do fly down, in the dark hunts any more. We now have all day hunting of turkeys in Maine but the majority of turkey I have killed have been mid morning. 

atticus

Massachusetts spring turkey is a morning hunt ending at noon. This will be my second year hunting them after a long hiatus and last year hunted early. Perhaps I'll head out later and see how I do. 

Brad Eden

Or daughters who hunt...

IMG_0689.JPG

Went out with buddy Scott to help with his college student daughter Chelsea this morning at flydown. Got to a listening spot in a beautiful sloping blueberry barren on the side of a local mountain. Windy as hell from the tail end of last nights storm. (So windy we lost power this morning along with 30,000 other households. But back on now) But we did hear a gobble and set up with in deke out in front of Chelsea. That bird gobbled a few times on roost and then ground and we heard hens with him. He was just over a rise but remained unseen. Suddenly to our left out of nowhere marched 4 birds. A strutting small 2 year old and his 3 Jake cohorts. I hissed to Chelsea to take the strutter as they got to the decoy and to let them spread out first. She did. He died by my 20 gauge HeviShot 870 I had let Chelsea use. Then Scott decided to take a Jake. The other two Jakes hung around tempting me but I passed. Cool hunt.

CzechSM

My wife enjoys the turkey hunting. It is quite a luxury to have a spouse that hunts with you or gives their blessing for you to go even if they can't go with. She also enjoys archery deer and has shot her share of them also. One of her larger turkey's was a 28# tom shot out back some years ago. While it was the largest bird we have shot it is also the bird we got the least amount of meat off of. She was hunting alone and in a blind. The tom strutted in and she shot it in full strut at about 3 yards.....flinched when she shot and hit it just below where the beard exited his breast. Needless to say but there was a lot of damage. She has since went to using a tripod for the shotgun and that has eliminated the flinch.

A picture from a couple years back.

IMG_1747.JPG

Big Al

My wife has never hunted but is totally supportive of me doing it.  She has always been ok with me going anytime and for as long as I want.  Cleans and cooks the game when asked and was very supportive when I wanted to make the investment in the ranch property.

There are times I wish she had been a hunting partner but just having her be ok with me doing it has allowed me to really enjoy my time in the outdoors.