• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
topdog1961

Help with Keurig

topdog1961

I've successfully fought the battle for years to keep a Keurig out of our house. But I lost when our son won one as a door prize at the after prom party, and he doesn't drink coffee. Now our Bunn is no longer good enough for my wife. She'll soon run out of the starter cups that came with it. Where do you recommend getting the K cups at the best price?  Do the reusable cups where u add ground coffee work, and if they do, is it as economical as brew coffee?  If so you'd only use a tiny amount. 

Call me cheap but I can brew good coffee for about 3-4 cents a cup. A quick check shows these pods are 50 cents and up. One thing I've noted in life is that people who are struggling financially often don't understand the cumulative effect of daily expenditures. The best example I see is at the convenience store where I see people buying $15-20 worth of Red Bull and cigarettes on their way to work every morning, then going out and getting into a rattletrap car. If my wife and I both start using these cups (which I won't) we'd add about $1,000 to our annual expenditures. Don't get me started on $5 Starbucks. Rant over. 

KerryLuft

Buy the insert that allows you to use your own coffee and it's as cheap as any other method.   Buy multiple filters because cleaning them is a bit tedious.

Otherwise, Costco, Amazon and stock up whenever your local store puts on a sale.  I found my preferred brand for $4.99/12 pack. Still not as cheap as a drip coffeemaker but I bought all I could carry ...

Brad Eden

Wish I could be of assistance...My daughter has a Keurig and I find the coffee too weak. Even when I run a full cup and then again with a 1/2 or 1/4 through the same pod. Plus I prefer a medium roast regular flavored coffee, not the Almond Carmel Popcorn Toffee Brazilian Quava Roasted Marshmallow flavored coffee. (I know you can get normal coffee pods too.) although a minor hassle to wash the components every day I prefer our Cuisinart Grind and/or Brew unit. We buy Dunkin Donut whole bean and same already ground and switch between the two. I'm gonna reheat a cup from that unit right now!

stripersonfly
25 minutes ago, KerryLuft said:

Buy the insert that allows you to use your own coffee and it's as cheap as any other method.   Buy multiple filters because cleaning them is a bit tedious.

Otherwise, Costco, Amazon and stock up whenever your local store puts on a sale.  I found my preferred brand for $4.99/12 pack. Still not as cheap as a drip coffeemaker but I bought all I could carry ...

This^^^

Kuerig's are not cheap, but they are convenient.  I buy in bulk at a wholesale club to get the lowest price I can on the K cups. 

Snipeaholic

Definitely not the most economical cup of coffee but fresh and hot. I buy the French roast store brand from Sam’s with tax its about $.42 per cup. Sometimes my “thriftiness” will try to get the best of me but I manage to override it in this case. Also my wife likes the flavored pods and she enjoys them so the Keurig is on the counter to stay. 

WPG Gizmo

For me a Kuerig works perfect I have 1 cup of coffee a day no more or less I buy bulk Dunkins off amazon and it works out to be about 50 cents a cup.

topdog1961
1 hour ago, KerryLuft said:

I just ordered 6 of them off amazon for $10. 

Has anyone tried the Amazon brand Solimo K cups?  The are .34 plus tax and come in a variety of flavors. 

NECarson

I'm scared to ask where you're getting beans for good coffee for under a nickel a cup

Dad has a Kureg, I hate the thing. He uses the reusable filter things. They work, just kinda a pain to clean. 

gunsrus

Hayslope is the Keurig King . Pm him for any info needed .

topdog1961
29 minutes ago, NECarson said:

I'm scared to ask where you're getting beans for good coffee for under a nickel a cup

Just plain old Folgers. I think I paid $8 for a big red can recently and it said it makes 300 cups. That's actually 2.7 cents, but I know their cups are smaller than my cups. But it still should be under a nickel. 

I know the definition of "good coffee" varies. I'll admit the first few sips out of the Keurig taste better. But coffee is like beer. After a few sips any difference is far less apparent, soon becoming unnoticeable. That's why I also drink Busch Lite, and boxed wine. 

SEPAlander

Can’t help with cheap cups, but I recently went the other way and stopped using a Keurig. Went to a ln old fashioned stovetop coffee pot, makes great coffee on the cheap, and is easy to clean.  Not that convenient, but maybe that was part of the attraction, too many things are too easy these days. 

Don Steese

Last pods I bought were purchased at Big Lots. $25.00 for 80 pods. They have light, medium, or bold at that price. I got the Italian bold kind. I can get the same price at Ollie's Discount Outlet. Don't know if you have any of those in Ohio but Big Lots is nationwide. 

NECarson
1 hour ago, topdog1961 said:

Just plain old Folgers. I think I paid $8 for a big red can recently and it said it makes 300 cups. That's actually 2.7 cents, but I know their cups are smaller than my cups. But it still should be under a nickel. 

I know the definition of "good coffee" varies. I'll admit the first few sips out of the Keurig taste better. But coffee is like beer. After a few sips any difference is far less apparent, soon becoming unnoticeable. That's why I also drink Busch Lite, and boxed wine. 

I'm pretty snobby about coffee. I buy my beans from a local roaster. 

I'm good with cheap beer and Bourbon though! As long as I get some good beer too. 

Brad Eden

Best coffee I ever have is from the ancient percolater at camp. Heated up on an equally ancient camp cook stove. It's probably the ambience and not the percolater, but it's good. But I broke the glass globe last year....but one of my daughters bought me a new small camp size percolator last Christmas. It will be put to use soon. 

But I must say that when JoAnn is away I use a carafe with a filter and ground coffee and boiling water. Pretty good. No need to dirty the Cuisinart for just one to two mugs of joe. Not trying to belittle Keurig people, just my methodology.

ccavacini
4 hours ago, KerryLuft said:

I did this and it works.