FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
atticus

Spain

atticus

Sharon and I spent the last 10 days touring around southern Spain for our 25th wedding anniversary.  Neither of us have been Andalusia before and were totally wowed by the Moorish architecture and palaces, scenery and of course the food!  Here are some of the highlights:

Stated in Madrid

IMG_0015-X2.jpg

IMG_0008-X2.jpg

Prado

IMG_0040-X2.jpg

Palace

IMG_0051-XL.jpg

IMG_0065-X2.jpg

IMG_0082-XL.jpg

We took in a bullfight,  one of the Matadors was badly gored and carried off the field--I guess the bull sometimes wins---albeit a Pyrrhic victory; another matador applied the coup de grace.

Moorish architecture in Cordoba, Grenada and Seville

IMG_0148-X2.jpg

IMG_0184-X2.jpg

IMG_0202-X2.jpg

IMG_0235-XL.jpg

The Alhambra

IMG_0260-XL.jpg

Narrow streets

IMG_0212-X2.jpg

IMG_0257-XL.jpg

Side trip to one of the pillars of Hercules --Gibraltar (soooo close to Africa....)

IMG_0375-X2.jpg

IMG_0425-X2.jpg

IMG_0442-X2.jpg

Food --cant get enough Jamon Y Queso!

IMG_0539-X2.jpg

IMG_0471-L.jpg

IMG_0368-XL.jpg

IMG_0371-XL.jpg

IMG_0233-XL.jpg

IMG_0046-XL.jpg

IMG_0024-XL.jpg

IMG_0023-XL.jpg

and last but not least--the tomb of Christopher Columbus

IMG_0553-L.jpg

Jazz4Brazo

Awesome Billy...this brings back a flood of memories.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon many years ago in Portugal with a side trip to Spain/Gibraltar...Merida, Seville, Ronda to name a few.

Years later we took our kids on a roadtrip through France and Spain...Barcelona remains my all time favorite Euro city...Cadaques was a cool quaint whitewashed fishing village.

We recently spent time in Madrid area and fully enjoyed the jambon!! I've been fortunate to return many times on business to both Madrid and Barcelona and will be forced once again to return to Madrid for a trade show week of customer dinner events...no wo der I am overweight LOL.

Enjoy!!!

As for Portugal we learnt they didn't kill the bulls in the ring...just a few hours later. My wife wondered how they trained the horse to be so quiet and calm while in the ring...seems they cut their vocal cords...but that was any moons ago.

J4B

DTB

Enjoyed the great photos. 

Thanks for posting. 

gordy

Love the photos. I spent a fair bit of time in Spain when I was young. Brought back great memories.

Thanks

quailguy

Really nice photos, brings back some good memories. Spain is a lovely country filled with interesting people and lots of history. Pretty decent food and wine too.

Some really outstanding venues there in your photos:  particularly what seems to be the Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba with the inlaid single and double horseshoe arches. Really a world class, one of a kind place that very cleverly replicates multicolored arches of the Umayyad Dynasty mosque which was in Damascus as well as Romanesque arches in Christian cathedrals. Wonderful proportions, a complex and a seriously well done geometric design. That is just a fabulous place; one of my all time favs.

Well done !

Don Steese

Thanks so much Billy!   So many places I haven't seen.  Sigh.....

Uplander

Awesome!  

Last year Lisa and I toyed with the idea of a trip to Spain.  We decided to hold off.  Spain and Iceland; both on our “to do” list.....

Birdawg
On 5/10/2018 at 7:36 AM, Jazz4Brazo said:

Awesome Billy...this brings back a flood of memories.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon many years ago in Portugal with a side trip to Spain/Gibraltar...Merida, Seville, Ronda to name a few.

Years later we took our kids on a roadtrip through France and Spain...Barcelona remains my all time favorite Euro city...Cadaques was a cool quaint whitewashed fishing village.

We recently spent time in Madrid area and fully enjoyed the jambon!! I've been fortunate to return many times on business to both Madrid and Barcelona and will be forced once again to return to Madrid for a trade show week of customer dinner events...no wo der I am overweight LOL.

Enjoy!!!

As for Portugal we learnt they didn't kill the bulls in the ring...just a few hours later. My wife wondered how they trained the horse to be so quiet and calm while in the ring...seems they cut their vocal cords...but that was any moons ago.

J4B

As for Portugal the lusatino horse is bred for the Portuguese style of bull fighting. These horses are very brave and skilled at keeping away from the bull. I own one.

In Portugal  vocal cords are not cut although that is done is Spain where the horses endure much abuse and are often destroyed after the performance. To see a bull fight in Portugal is noting like a spainish bull fight.

ccavacini

Wow, great photos.  Thanks for sharing.

I see the second photo down depicts the inquisition.  Those darn Spaniards and their sense of humor.

atticus
1 hour ago, ccavacini said:

I see the second photo down depicts the inquisition.  Those darn Spaniards and their sense of humor.

Yes, it is a bronze depicting a public strangulation in Plaza Mayor during the inquisition. 

Speedgoat44

What is a good Paella going for these days?  The bread, el jamon serrano, el lomo iberico....unreal.  Some of the best food in the world as far as I'm concerned.   Looks like a beautiful trip.  

Speedgoat44

Speaking of Spain, anyone ever come across a Pachon Navarro or Perdiguero de Burgos in the States?  

atticus
49 minutes ago, Speedgoat44 said:

What is a good Paella going for these days?  The bread, el jamon serrano, el lomo iberico....unreal.  Some of the best food in the world as far as I'm concerned.   Looks like a beautiful trip.  

That Paella was free!

E.Young

We just did 18 days in Spain to celebrate both of our birthdays and one year of marriage. 

The food in Andalusia is FAR better than the rest of Spain, to me. And, personally, the food in Catalan (both Catalan cuisine and Spanish foods that have a Catalonian take) is some of the worst in Europe. 

Decent paella is running about 20 euros per person, maybe 25 for seafood at a nice place. Dressed up boxed paella is running around 12 per. The exchange rate is pretty nice right now, too.