FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
WMassGriff

Maintenance Diet for Bilious Vomiting

WMassGriff

I have a young Griffon that has started vomiting first thing in the morning. I have had him into Vet for ultrasound, blood testing, and found no issues. He is now on Purina EN but that is a pretty expensive maintenance diet. He also gets Pepcid AC tablets. He also gets meals three times a day instead of just evening and also gets some kibble around 11pm.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue and come up with a commercial (non-prescription) food for maintenance? Thanks!

Dave in Maine

Check with your vet re trying boiled, defatted chicken, maybe some cooked rice and yogurt.  Cook the rice in the defatted broth from the chicken.  I am not a vet, but if there's bilious vomit that says to me he's not digesting fat properly so dialing it back may be the way to go.  Small portions, frequently, too.  

WPG Gizmo

I would take him off the Maintenance diet and feed your normal food just give it to him before you go to bed at night and then again the very first thing in the morning.   

My guys get 2 cups of food a day one morning one evening if it were me I would split the 2 cup into 3,  1/2 cup in the morning 1/2 cup in the evening  and 1 cup before bed the issue with Bilious vomit is that he has no food in his stomach in the morning so by feeding him late at night before bed he will have food still digesting.    

Who is your Griff from?

WMassGriff

TallGrass in Whately MA.

Dogwood

Has the 11 pm feeding resolved the problem?

WMassGriff

His vomiting is intermittent. Going to take a week or so to evaluate. We do give him a bunch of kibble at 11. Currently transitioning to our old homemade standby "Doggie Oats". Worked well for many Airedales should work for him too. Chicken based protein, oats, and lots of supplements.

Dogwood

Likely not diet formula related as he does not vomit his food according you your history.  And I assume his stools are normal.

WMassGriff

Stools are normal. Never vomits food.

Dogwood
13 hours ago, WMassGriff said:

Stools are normal. Never vomits food.

It is therefore not a diet formula problem.  I'd feed him 3 times daily with the final full meal at an hour before bed and see what happens.

WMassGriff

He seems a lot better, but we are switching him over to home made food.

Urban_Redneck

Bilious vomiting same as hunger pukes?

Feed AM/PM. My pup had hunger pukes intermittently she out grew them without a special diet although,  she's always been raw fed.

marysburg

I am not a doctor, but I have had two dogs who did this.  Never vomited food, but early morning on an empty stomach would vomit bile.  The first one was resolved with feeding twice a day, with the evening feeding moved as late as possible.  That didn't work with the second one, but it was resolved with the use of Zantac 75 mg.  At first, she got it daily, 1/2  tablet at suppertime.  After a year or so, we cut it back to Monday, Wednesday, Friday at suppertime.  I was concerned about osteoporosis as a side effect.  So far, so good, but really, I don't know what causes this, or what fixes it.  The dog is 10 1/2 years old now, and has been on it for 5 years or so.   I hope that you can resolve this for your dog, marysburg.

WMassGriff

The splitting up of feeding and especially just before bed seems to be working real well. No issues since 11th. Just a new routine we all need to get used to. Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

marysburg

Great news.