REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Thinblueline

Charging Your E-Collars & GPS Devices When There’s No Power

Thinblueline

Hello everyone. Many of my future bird hunts will be sort of backcountry primitive camping trips either on large tracts of public land or county or state campgrounds where primitive tent sites have no electricity. 

Since I’m no technology guy, I was wondering if any of you more skilled and informed ladies and gents might know of any possible options that exist for charging E-Collars, GPS dog tracking devices, and/or for that matter, cell phones. 

I might be without power for several days at a time, and would often be hunting close to camp, so without long drives, car charging wouldn’t be practical. 

Thanks in in advance for anyone who might help me solve this equipment conundrum!

Thinblueline

I would have a vehicle, but I would only be taking short jaunts in it so I didn’t think there would be near enough time with the vehicle running only minutes for the hours it often takes to fully charge these devices. I’m not real well versed on car batteries so I didn’t know if charging devices without the car running for hours at a time would leave me high and dry. That does make me wonder though if a deep cell RV type battery might be brought and rigged some how to charge these devices a few times. I don’t know if that’s possible or not.

versdog

Maybe you could experiment with the battery packs that charge cellphones they have them which could charge phones four to six times. If your going to be near your vehicle you could charge from your vehicle, I cant imagine it would suck enough off your battery to drain it.  Maybe start your truck and let it run for 15 minutes every night?

terrym

Spare deep cycle battery and a power inverter. I can get 20 hours run time on a Cpap machine. Should charge an ecollar no problem. 

Bullwinkle

Since Xmas i have jumped a truck i rarely drive and my garden tractor at least 1/2 dz times. I also charge my kindle fire and phone without recharging the pack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0748D8KT6/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1526175459&sr=8-6-spons&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011%2Cp_89%3AGOOLOO&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=battery+pack+automotive+jump+start&psc=1

Chukarman

Check out Goal Zero solar. Also, you do not need to be running your car to charge your e-collar and tracker. They take very little power from the vehicle battery. If you do not have unkeyed power, you can rig up to charge directly from the battery.

Thinblueline

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I’ll explore each of them and settle on one of the options before the season. 

gordy

I often hunt on extended trips. Plugging in to your rig over night will charge your units if you have a car charger. I keep 4 collars going for weeks at a time from my rig withoutdriving

Flush

There are many different ways to do it. 

The simplest is probably to just plug your collar devices in your vehicle at night and let them charge up and get a portable jump starting unit to jump your car if it should happen to draw your battery too low, which is unlikely if you have a good battery in your vehicle. If your collars don't have car chargers, you can buy 12v to 110V inverters very cheaply (like $20 at Walmart) to plug in your normal 110V wall chargers if you don't have car chargers. Charging collars and cell phones is not much power draw and will generally not have a big impact on the ability of your vehicle to start unless you plug in many devices or charge them many times without driving the car to recharge it's battery. 

This is easiest if your vehicle has a 12V outlets that stay powered when the key is off. If the outlets are not powered with the key off you will have to put the key in the accessory position and power off all the other accessories to limit battery draw, or wire in an 12V (cigarette) outlet that is always powered. There are cheap 12V outlet "splitters" that will allow you to plug in multiple devices at once if you vehicle has limited outlets.

12V outlet splitter

You could also take along a deep cycle battery and use that to charge your devices. It's very easy to wire up a female "cigarette" 12V  plug (or an inverter) to a deep cycle battery to plug your car chargers into. 

Either way would work fine but the first is probably cheaper and easier. Over the years I've done both methods many times. 

For really extended trips you would want solar panels and/or a generator but it sounds like you are only talking for a few days at a time.

Dave in Maine
On 5/12/2018 at 11:04 PM, Chukarman said:

Check out Goal Zero solar. Also, you do not need to be running your car to charge your e-collar and tracker. They take very little power from the vehicle battery. If you do not have unkeyed power, you can rig up to charge directly from the battery.

Depends on the vehicle.  My 96 Volvo puts no power into the lighter outlet unless the motor is on.  I'd be loath to hook up a phone directly to the battery for fear of somehow blowing up the phone.

The solar panels are a good idea, but might take forever (their charging rates vary) and would have to be used during the day, when you'd rather be hunting.  Using the collars.

Flush
30 minutes ago, Dave in Maine said:

I'd be loath to hook up a phone directly to the battery for fear of somehow blowing up the phone.

Hooking directly to the battery is the same as plugging into the 12v outlet (cigarette socket). They will see the same voltage and spikes. The only protection in the factory 12V outlet is a standard fuse and you would want to use one of those if you direct wired to the battery as well.  

The protection circuits to your phone is in the charger and the phone itself.  You may feel safer only plugging into the factory vehicle outlet, but you won't be, it will all be the same voltage.

Dave in Maine
2 hours ago, Flush said:

Hooking directly to the battery is the same as plugging into the 12v outlet (cigarette socket). They will see the same voltage and spikes. The only protection in the factory 12V outlet is a standard fuse and you would want to use one of those if you direct wired to the battery as well.  

The protection circuits to your phone is in the charger and the phone itself.  You may feel safer only plugging into the factory vehicle outlet, but you won't be, it will all be the same voltage.

With my luck, there's a stream of smoke rising from my phone.

Kansas Bound

I made a portable battery pack. I use it mainly for ice fishing to run my fish finder etc.

But it is really handy on camping trips to charge garmins and phones. Can also run my fantastic fan if needed.

I use two 9amp batteries similar to THIS

IMG_20180514_210248516_LL.jpg

Kansas Bound

IMG_20180514_210304992_LL.jpg