REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
tomturkey2x2

Garmin in reach

tomturkey2x2

Has anyone used the inreach? Considering one ,I hunt some places where  their is no cell coverage. Would like to be able to call for help if needed.

How much is subscription?  Any pros and cons would be appreciated!

WeeWilly

Never leave my truck without it after NVChukar turned me onto one. Nice thing is you can suspend the subscription at any time. 

Clueless1

I've been looking at them for a long time.  Expensive.  I haven't been able to come across one used that I thought was a decent deal either.  Most people that put them for sale want $50 less than I can buy new. 

The Delorme version is on sale at Cabela's right now for $200.  I'm worried that with Garmin purchasing Delorme these will be phased out over time too. 

I go back and forth.  One day I'm adamant I'm buying one, by evening I have talked myself into waiting until I see better prices, etc. 

rideold

I really like mine.  I have the cheapest plan.  It's something like 10 or 15 a month and I get some pittance of texts with it but the pay per text is fine with me if there is an emergency.  I throw it in my pocket when I drive outside cell service, hunt, hike or backcountry ski.  Cheap insurance and more useful than a PLB.

Brookieslayer

^^^ I love mine and also have the cheapest plan. I have the no charge pre set up messages to go out when I am in the no cell range to send to the wife.

Buy it you wont regret it!

rideold
2 hours ago, Brookieslayer said:

^^^ I love mine and also have the cheapest plan. I have the no charge pre set up messages to go out when I am in the no cell range to send to the wife.

Buy it you wont regret it!

Oh, yea....the preset messages.  I use mine regularly as well.  Friend of mine uses his to let his wife know where he stopped for the night and then again when he wakes up in the morning.  That way she knows all is well and a tree didn't fall on him or something silly during the night.