Brad Eden

Grill time/maintenance...

Brad Eden

This should probably be in Gear & Gadgets. Anyhow, I have a box store (Lowes) 5 burner (one of those is the side pot burner) propane Char Broil Grill. Nice enough stainless steel, not overly expensive unit. This will be its 4th summer on the deck. Worked like a charm. Auto igniter still works. None of the components have rusted out etc. I know it's not a BIG GREEN EGG or a WEBER CHARCOAL grill, but is perfectly fine for our needs. I fully expect to be schooled and shamed about my red neck grilling standards. That's OK, I'm generally a fueler not a foody.

The grill Has  been stored under the deck with a vinyl cover so takes some weather but not that bad. Got it up on deck, ready for the first burgers of the season. Tank is almost full. Hooked up the regulator hose.....opened the tank valve and nothing. No gas going to the burners. Check for mice nests and turds and dead rodents inside and amongst the inner workings. All clear. OK. unhook, rehook, take off regulator, whack it against the deck rail, reinstall....still nothing. Ahhhhh Google! Watch a couple videos on resetting a grill regulator....try again. Nothing.

Picked up a new regulator and hose at Lowes for $20. Hooked it up and we are back in grilling business.

A dead grill is almost as disheartening as a truck that won't start...

Just some observations as summer creeps into the northeast.

gunsrus

Spiders suck .

Wyobirds

We had a birthday party last Monday evening and when checked out my grill I discovered discovered a mouse nest.  The grill was thoroughly inspected, all connections verified, cleaned and polished.

I then fired it up and let it heat up to the max and ran it for about 15 minutes.

JoeFroESS

My wife was using our grill and got a huge grease fire going inside of it.  I took it apart last night to clean everything and cleaned a huge quantity of grease soaked debris and rust out of it.  I am lucky - could have caught the deck railing on fire.

topdog1961
4 minutes ago, JoeFroESS said:

My wife was using our grill and got a huge grease fire going inside of it.  I took it apart last night to clean everything and cleaned a huge quantity of grease soaked debris and rust out of it.  I am lucky - could have caught the deck railing on fire.

I always keep lots of cold beer close at hand while grilling, including an open one, in case that happens. Safety first I say....

Starsky

Well, if you had a Kamado style grill, you wouldn't have to bother diagnosing a bad regulator!

sloth5202

I found out I had a bad regulator on my turkey fryer Thanksgiving morning... I was shocked my local Gander Mountain was open and it saved the holiday.

dogrunner

Grill time is all year for me, this was February 10. Mine don’t get time for spiders or mice. Lump charcoal so I never run out of gas with my meat half done. 😉

D26D855F-B8C6-4313-ACBC-FF2793F645A4.jpeg

Brad Eden

Grilling smugness is allowed and alive and well I see...B|

The BGE people are the worse....

salmontogue

Not trying to be the wet blanket here but some states and towns prohibit the use of outdoor cooking equipment on frame decks attached to frame residential buildings.  You should check with your local fire department or the state fire marshal.  Should you accidentally set your home on fire by the illegal use of this type of equipment, you will have problems with your insurer should there be a claim.

In any event, a Co2 fire extinguisher and a charged and ready garden hose should be standard safety equipment.

Perk

Brad Eden
15 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

Not trying to be the wet blanket here but some states and towns prohibit the use of outdoor cooking equipment on frame decks attached to frame residential buildings.  You should check with your local fire department or the state fire marshal.  Should you accidentally set your home on fire by the illegal use of this type of equipment, you will have problems with your insurer should there be a claim.

In any event, a Co2 fire extinguisher and a charged and ready garden hose should be standard safety equipment.

Perk

Honestly, I'm just not worried. But thanks Perk, and a Fire extinguisher is a good idea. We don't have a fire department. Just volunteer. We don't hardly have any codes or any inspections. It was a dream doing the house renovation with new bathroom and the new garage, not to mention putting an outhouse on the property out back.  One of the advantages of living like a Woodchuck. My business is my business. 

WMassGriff

Not a foodie but have to admit when my original DUCANE died after 15years, I decided to try the BGE and love it, especially for Pizza or slow cooking. Didn't find the quality of the gassers to my liking. I do use an electric smoker for fish.

gunsrus
58 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Grill time is all year for me, this was February 10. Mine don’t get time for spiders or mice. Lump charcoal so I never run out of gas with my meat half done. 😉

D26D855F-B8C6-4313-ACBC-FF2793F645A4.jpeg

All year long ? I need to convince John how wonderful life in Maine really is . 

WPG Gizmo

The grill never gets a rest I use it weekly year round the smoker gets a break during the cold winter months but I use that from early spring until day after Thanksgiving when it gets put up.  If you use it the little bugs and rodents never get into the workings :D

Virgil Kane
2 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Spiders suck .

This ^^^^^ happens to me every year.  Darn spider builds a nest inside the tube and I get no gas.