• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
MUSTANGER7

Drove 360 mi one way for special hamburger in Macon, GA

MUSTANGER7

Won't mention the name but we drove up to Macon for granddaughters  Masters graduation and my wife got me to stop and get a world famous hamburger that she used to love when she lived there, wow should have stayed home. Probably the worst hamburger I've ever had, dried up bun, burnt meat and they used a trawl to put the mustard/ketchup on,people up there love them, must be something in the water.

SelbyLowndes

Mustanger, I went to school there in the '60s.  I don't remember a special hamburger, but there was a barbeque place that had a sandwich called a "Pig Special'.  I still dream of them...SelbyLowndes

topdog1961

Not sure which one you are talking about either but I'm looking forward to another in and out next time I get out west. And I've posted about Kewpie, a once big chain that was the inspiration for Wendy's, but better. Now there are only I believe 5 left, with 3 in Lima Ohio. The one downtown was built in 1928. They probably declined because they actually pay their employees a living wage, with 401k and medical. 

MUSTANGER7

SelbyLowne My wife who also went to school there in the 60's says the place your referring to was the Pig N Whistle. She went to McEvoy High class of 66.

SelbyLowndes

Yup, the "Pig&Whistle". Your wife and I are the same age.  I was at Mercer for six years; undergraduate and law school...SelbyLowndes

MUSTANGER7

Her son graduated from Mercer and then went to Univ of Ga for law school.

Big Al

I grew up in Livonia, MI. There was a hamburger joint there when I was a kid called Bates.  Used to be one of those 6 burgers for a buck place.  It was a good place to wrap up a hard night of cruisin.  Well they are still there and whenever we get back to Livonia a trip to Bates is on the agenda.  The burgers are still greasy and small but a buck won't even get you one of them now.

Brad Eden

I know it sounds nuts, crazy even. But I use to love those lousy cheeseburgers the high school kitchen staff would make. Thin overcooked from a frozen patty meat, stale bun, slice of processed cheese that wasn't even melted. Add some yellow mustard and ketchup and I was a happy camper. My daughters use to even sneak some home for me when they were in high school. I am perfectly serious.

Thats not to say I dont like gourmet, big fat and juicy grilled burgers at a pub or restaurant or on my own grill. But something about those cafeteria burgers... 9_9 o.O

WPG Gizmo

Seems we all had a place that we thought that the food was to die for growing up be it the local Burger joint or Pizza joint years later we go back the place if it is still there has changed maybe new owners or they upgraded everything but what ever they did it is not the same as you recall.  Problem is we grew up and our tastes changed I remember the days of going to a McDonalds they would cook the burger for you while you waited they always had a grill full of burgers cooking so it was quick but you got it served hot dripping juices and melting cheese.  Something about spending 6 months out at sea and coming home to grab a couple of those burgers and a cold beer that made you feel like you were really back in the States.

MUSTANGER7

There was a small chain in the Kansas City area when I was there in the 80 and 90's (can't remember the name) but there was no inside seating, just a few seats outside. It was always amazing that even during MEAN Kansas City winters people would stand in line for their burgers and then eat them on concrete benches, including myself.

henryrski
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

I know it sounds nuts, crazy even. But I use to love those lousy cheeseburgers the high school kitchen staff would make. Thin overcooked from a frozen patty meat, stale bun, slice of processed cheese that wasn't even melted. Add some yellow mustard and ketchup and I was a happy camper. My daughters use to even sneak some home for me when they were in high school. I am perfectly serious.

Thats not to say I dont like gourmet, big fat and juicy grilled burgers at a pub or restaurant or on my own grill. But something about those cafeteria burgers... 9_9 o.O

You are a sick man Eden, a sick man.9_9

kgb

A corner bar back home had awesome burgers, might have been one of the few items on their food menu as they seemed to thrive on beer and shots.  The owner passed away several years ago and now it's got an expanded menu that may or may not have those same burgers.  Normally a thick burger would be best but whatever was in the combination of their thin patties and fresh buns made it the best I have eaten.  

Cooter Brown

It's the atmosphere at 2am, not the food.

The pimiento cheese on the cheeseburger is sublime.

SelbyLowndes

Krystal hamburgers are everywhere now, but when I was off at school in Macon, GA the store there was the first I'd encountered.  I remember all-nighters preparing for a final exam and having to learn the whole course in one night, when someone would make a Krystal run and bring back bags of the grease soaked buns and microscopic meat patties. Heaven!...SelbyLowndes 

MUSTANGER7

Selby Lownes, wife wants to know if you remember the "New Way hotdogs??? she remembers the Krystal hamburger place