Sign in to follow this  
MAArcher

Outboard motor electrical question

MAArcher

When I turn the key, nothing happens. The solenoid does not click. When I jump across the solenoids large posts the motor starts. Do I have a bad solenoid or a bad killed or neutral switch?

RDG

Without a wiring schmatic, it’s just guessing. Could be either of those things depending on how your boat is wired. 

Do you have a mutilmeter or voltmeter? 

Picture of the solenoid might help too. 

MAArcher

I do have a multimeter.  Don't have pic handy but its a standard solenoid, two large terminals for the high amps to the starter and two small terminals to open and close the small one.    I was thinking last night if I just jump 12v to the small terminals then it should start, if that small circuit doesn't open the big one then it has to be the solenoid, and if its not the solenoid then it has to be the ignition switch or the kill switch.  

RDG

Yup... jumper from the large terminal on the battery side of the solenoid to the small post.  Should close the solenoid. 

topdog1961

Unrelated to question in OP, but thought I would pass this on in case you have a similar motor. I have a 99 Merc 125hp 2 stroke. A mechanic that I trust told me that if my starting battery ever got a shorted cell, it would fry the entire electrical system on this motor. He said I should buy a new high quality starting battery every 3 years whether I thought I needed it or not. Probably good advice for any motor, especially if you are taking on distant fishing trips. Cheap insurance. I keep them charged up and recycle into a car when needed after their 3 years. 

MAArcher

It was the key switch.  

MAArcher

Wasn't the switch.  Turns out, after $60 and a couple hours time, it was a 98 cent fuse.  Why didn't I check the fuse first?  I guess I'm just not the bright.  :/

barna
12 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

Wasn't the switch.  Turns out, after $60 and a couple hours time, it was a 98 cent fuse.  Why didn't I check the fuse first?  I guess I'm just not the bright.  :/

Why did the fuse blow?

Barna

MAArcher
53 minutes ago, barna said:

Why did the fuse blow?

Barna

I'd like to know that too.  It was blown when I bought it.  This is an outboard on an older Zodiac type inflatable boat I just bought at a really good price.  I got it so I can take the motor off ( a nice older Yamaha 30hp two stroke with 703 controls) and put it on my duck boat that has a blown 25hp merc.  I haven't had it in the water since I found and replaced the fuse last night, but it starts without blowing the fuse now.  When I replaced the key switch I didn't see any potential shorts anywhere so I can only guess that the short might have been in the key switch housing itself.  Maybe it wasn't a wast that I replaced it after all. 

I did notice that it wasn't the original fuse.  Its one of those glass cylinder type fuses, and pictures of the OEM part show a flat zig zag element, the fuse that was in there looked like the one I replaced it with, just a straight wire element.  So the prior owner must have had an issue.  I'll bring the jumper starter switch I had rigged (a starter button switch with alligator clips on wires long enough to go from battery to solenoid) with me the next time I'm on the water in case its still a recurring issue.  The motor doesn't have a regular manual start, just an emergency manual one, so its a real headache if you can't start with the key switch.