• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
MAArcher

Outboard motor electrical question

MAArcher

When I turn the key, nothing happens. The solenoid does not click. When I jump across the solenoids large posts the motor starts. Do I have a bad solenoid or a bad killed or neutral switch?

RDG

Without a wiring schmatic, it’s just guessing. Could be either of those things depending on how your boat is wired. 

Do you have a mutilmeter or voltmeter? 

Picture of the solenoid might help too. 

MAArcher

I do have a multimeter.  Don't have pic handy but its a standard solenoid, two large terminals for the high amps to the starter and two small terminals to open and close the small one.    I was thinking last night if I just jump 12v to the small terminals then it should start, if that small circuit doesn't open the big one then it has to be the solenoid, and if its not the solenoid then it has to be the ignition switch or the kill switch.  

RDG

Yup... jumper from the large terminal on the battery side of the solenoid to the small post.  Should close the solenoid. 

topdog1961

Unrelated to question in OP, but thought I would pass this on in case you have a similar motor. I have a 99 Merc 125hp 2 stroke. A mechanic that I trust told me that if my starting battery ever got a shorted cell, it would fry the entire electrical system on this motor. He said I should buy a new high quality starting battery every 3 years whether I thought I needed it or not. Probably good advice for any motor, especially if you are taking on distant fishing trips. Cheap insurance. I keep them charged up and recycle into a car when needed after their 3 years.