NVChukarChaser

When a hat becomes too lucky?

NVChukarChaser

At what point does a hat become too lucky?

The waitress I see at the local cafe for the last 15 years for the pre-hunt breakfast usually let’s me know. Hence the retirement of

the Yankees cap. I find it sad starting a new cap and retiring an old one. It’s also a bummer to put layer after layer of salt from foot races with Chukar on a new hat. Is this just me or do others have a lucky hat as well?  One your wife threatens to wash or burn.

FB0F7DEE-F7C5-4F17-9760-4E95DA0F85D1.jpeg

gunsrus

Evil Empire Hat ? Who kicked you as a baby ?

Auto-5

Those look pretty lucky to me. I tend to wash or toss mine once the salt ring or stink gets too bad. I’m not too hat crazy as long as they fit my xl melon so most of mine are cheap or free.  

“ Why wouldn’t I wear this hat it was free?”

Karpteach

That’s a perfect hat. Do not retire it. It seems just broken in. NEVER replace a lucky hat. Besides it’s a NY YANKEE hat!! 😜

NHBirddogger
10 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Evil Empire Hat ? Who kicked you as a baby ?

He was dropped.

ccavacini

Got this Filson's Packer Hat back in 1998.  Have worn it on my Canada trip since then (when the weather turns bad.)  Did notice that most of the big walleye were caught while wearing this hat.

paclk 3.jpg

Clueless1

Never had a hat become 'too lucky', or anything else for that matter.  I hope to experience that someday. 

SelbyLowndes

I don't know about lucky, but we all have favorite hats.  Others get the opinion sometimes that my favorite hat does not look as good as I think it does.  That's what they said to Clint Eastwood in his 'spaghetti westerns' too....SelbyLowndes

topdog1961
6 hours ago, Karpteach said:

That’s a perfect hat. Do not retire it. It seems just broken in. NEVER replace a lucky hat. Besides it’s a NY YANKEE hat!! 😜

image.jpeg

dogrunner

I guess this ones luck ran out. 

698B7AA5-4D2A-44BC-AED8-1251D9327BDB.jpeg

Rick Hall

I'm a great believer in lucky hats, but not that the luck can be washed out of them.  Well, not unless machine washed, as a machine is apt to retire a truly lucky hat for you...

WMassGriff

I have two. One for fly fishing that is at least 20 years old and never washed I just add more bug repellant to it (and I fly fish at least 50 days per year). The other is my turkey hunting hat that is 30 years old this year in original tree-bark mesh camo. The big secret is the pewter WTurkey pin I have on it which was lost for the first two weeks of the MA season when I didn't hear a bird. Found it in a drawer on Sunday and re-pinned it on my lucky hat and presto... tagged a 19#Tom on Monday AM! 

Yes I believe in lucky hats, charms, whatever!!!!

SelbyLowndes

IF you can get away with it, wash your hat in the dishwasher. But don't get caught doing it!...SelbyLowndes

BlacknTan

I don't have any lucky items...

That said, I don't walk under ladders, put new shoes on the table, and I lay low on Friday the 13th. I'm not superstitious, but I avoid unlucky items like the plague...

oak stob

A friend says it is unlucky to not be superstitious....such as “white rabbit, white rabbit, white rabbit”.