• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
topdog1961

Some people are amazing.

topdog1961

I'm time studying a welder in a heavy fab operation today. Some of the elements are long, hence the opportunity to putz around on UJ. And it's a long cycle, we've been studying this operation for two weeks. In that time I've watched this 50 something man climb ladders, crawl around in the structure, and contort himself in confined spaces to weld. In that entire time I never suspected until he just told me that he has one prosthetic leg from just below the knee down. He said he's caught it on fire three times and never noticed until he smelled it burning! I thought that was hilarious because apparently so did he. He's a great testimony to how resilient people can be. 

WI Outdoor Nut
3 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

I'm time studying a welder in a heavy fab operation today. Some of the elements are long, hence the opportunity to putz around on UJ. And it's a long cycle, we've been studying this operation for two weeks. In that time I've watched this 50 something man climb ladders, crawl around in the structure, and contort himself in confined spaces to weld. In that entire time I never suspected until he just told me that he has one prosthetic leg from just below the knee down. He said he's caught it on fire three times and never noticed until he smelled it burning! I thought that was hilarious because apparently so did he. He's a great testimony to how resilient people can be. 

At least people with the right drive!

My wife works in labor pool placement and the excuses they come up with not to work are unreal.  Most of those folks are lazy, and work the system as much as they can for the free dollar.  Wish there were less than what my wife see's and more of what you saw.

topdog1961

Good point. I just changed the title from "People are amazing" to "Some people are amazing". 

gundogpa

It is hard to find people to work these days.  We have a shop full of welders, it's hard work.....dirty and hot unless you are outside in winter trying to work. As time goes on people like that will hopefully keep being more and more valuable as more people aspire to sit at a desk everyday.

WPG Gizmo

There is going to come a day when someone that knows the trades and works hard is going to make way more then a college educated person. 

Everyone is told they can go to college so they do the problem is less and less are going into the trades to learn a good hard working job. 

These Trades people are going to become vital as the available pool of qualified people shrink and they are going to be able to demand what ever they want money wise.  

Tim Frazier

When people don't see themselves as victims they can accomplish great things!  Cool story!

Snipeaholic
9 hours ago, WPG Gizmo said:

There is going to come a day when someone that knows the trades and works hard is going to make way more then a college educated person. 

Everyone is told they can go to college so they do the problem is less and less are going into the trades to learn a good hard working job. 

These Trades people are going to become vital as the available pool of qualified people shrink and they are going to be able to demand what ever they want money wise.  

It’s already happening here in north Florida. If a tradesman of most any kind that’s good and WILLING to work can make some serious money.

WI Outdoor Nut

I know some electricians cranking out over $100K per year.  They are working some good overtime, and are the ones who are asked for, but making good change nonetheless. 

topdog1961

An incident this morning makes me want to add to my list of amazing people: my niece's father in law. He's a successful farmer and when I stuck my grasshopper mower over the riverbank first thing this morning, I called him hoping to borrow a hand winch. He did better then that, he drove his mule over and pulled me out. He lives about 5 miles away and in a few minutes he was here ready to help. He did this despite his beloved wife being at home on what likely is her death bed, unable to speak, suffering from lung cancer, though she never smoked. He doesn't want anyone to know about his helping people, but there are few secrets in a small town. I know when a struggling family looses a child and goes to make that first installment on the funeral, it's paid by someone unknown. Or when a young family looses everything in a house fire, he quietly hands them a roll of $100 bills the next morning. He, and his wife, are two of the finest people I have ever been blessed to meet.