• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
fourtrax57

Gas Grill recommendations

fourtrax57

For the Kollective here..............

Will be purchasing a GAS grill this Summer. Wondering whats out there for QUALITY made gas grills (propane only).

Had a high dollar high quality grill from a local gas company for 29 years. Cost about $500.00 in 1985. It died in 2014.

Have had a couple of the cheapo units over the last 3-4 years. One or two seasons & either the burner/s or heat deflectors rot out.

Wondering what some of you folks use these days. Have seen lots of high priced / cheaply built sst wonders at the stores but nothing very heavy duty

with decent quality burners or casing,........... yet.

Fire away,

Thanks

upstate

weber. bought the small one. had the cheapo's for years. very good investment. wish I had done it years ago

tut

Well, I bought a Weber Genesis Gold stainless steel model in 2003 and its still in the backyard working.   Now, it basically needs new flavor bars and new grill grates, and a new thermometer but its amazingly held up well.  FWIW, I have friends who have bought cheap Charbroil grills from Walmart and they seem to get about 4 year out of them before they either rust out etc. 

terrym

Avoid the boxstores. They may have brand names but are not

the same quality. I have a Napolian which is manufactured 20 minutes from me. In 16 years I have only replaced the burner once and it sits outside uncovered 24/7 all year. Buy quality and you will get your money's worth. 

aje4

+1 on Weber.....have had one at our home for 9 years and only replaced the igniter.  Have a small one that we used for camping for 10 years now....no issues.  Added another one for our place up north last year.  They are worth the extra money.....

Brad Eden

4th summer with a 5 burner (Lowes) Char Broil. I think it was around $200. Just this summer I had to get a new regulator w/hose. $20. Otherwise it hasn't rusted out, auto ignite works, no issues. I just cant see paying big bucks for a grill, that's just me. This is probably one of the best at a reasonable dime.

(I know box stores get a bad rap, and I do understand that mowers and such sometimes arent of the quality of a lawn and garden store, but grills too? Seriously?)

MAArcher

If price is a concern, get a used Weber and rebuild it.  I pulled a three burner genesis out of a construction dumpster at a home that was being rebuilt from a fire.  so I got mine for free.  Replaced grates, shields and burners.  Five years later I did it again.  I suspect in five years I'll do it again.  And my wife is hard on a grill, like forgetting and leaving it on so it burns though a whole tank of gas on high, then leaving it that way all winter (no grease to stop rust).  I had a charboil stainless from home depot.  At three or four years it just basically caved in on itself.  But that was years ago, maybe they are better now. 

One of the best things I've found to improve grill longevity, is to not burn or "clean" your grill after you cook.  I know lots of people turn the heat up after they take the food off to clean the grill, but this leaves the grates susceptible to rust.  If you must burn off that flavor, do it before you cook.  

No matter what grill you get, try getting a cast iron griddle.  I like the look of grill marks, but searing steak on a cast iron griddle is definitely the way to go to lock in the juice.  Use some nice blackening seasonings and put on a smoke show.  Mmmm.  Now I'm hungry.

bigdog MN

On advice of a friend I got a Charbroil brand Tru-Infrared 2-burner about 18 months ago. So far it has worked/held up very well and we use it weekly.  Better quality than the previous ones it replaced.

terrym
12 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

(I know box stores get a bad rap, and I do understand that mowers and such sometimes arent of the quality of a lawn and garden store, but grills too? Seriously?)

Seriously. I was at a trade show recently and wandered over to the BBQ area and chatted up the industry reps. The models they supply the box stores are a different version to make the price point. 20 years out of a quality unit like Weber, Napolian and higher range Charbroil is perfectly reasonable. I needed a part last week for my Napolian and went straight to the plant. Speaking to the service department clerk also confirmed they have promo grade and then the better stuff. My understanding is chainsaws are the same. 

Brad Eden
Just now, terrym said:

Seriously. I was at a trade show recently and wandered over to the BBQ area and chatted up the industry reps. The models they supply the box stores are a different version to make the price point. 20 years out of a quality unit like Weber, Napolian and higher range Charbroil is perfectly reasonable. I needed a part last week for my Napolian and went straight to the plant. Speaking to the service department clerk also confirmed they have promo grade and then the better stuff. My understanding is chainsaws are the same. 

OK. Got it. I am still happy with my Lowes Char Broil. Cheap but efficient unit for the price conscious self-employed discussion community "manager" and seasonal grouse bum.:S:)

topdog1961

Not answering to the intent of the original post, but I'm with Brad on this one, cheapskate that I am. We have a huge 4 burner "BigHorn" that I bought for $180  from Rural King at least 5 years ago. When I cleaned it this spring it showed no sign of rust. It sits outside with no cover on, but under our shelter house. Below is my Bud cooking on it at my daughters HS grad party last weekend. I will say it had an issue with the regulator that was maddeningly frustrating when I bought it. The flame would suddenly die down when cooking. It had to sit for hours to work again. I called the mfg and they said it was the over pressure safety feature, and that I could only just crack open the valve on the tank. Since learning that, it works fine. 

In the fall we replaced all our windows and the old sliding back door which was sealed shut with insulation. Having newfound access to the back patio, I bought a small 3 burner from Wallyworld for $88 assembled. I cook on it about 2x a week ever since and love it. 

image.jpeg

JoeFroESS

Weber.  I grill year round and grill stays outside.  With other brands had to constantly replace rusted out burners / heat shields / grates etc and even then they only lasted 3 years.

My weber is up to about 6-7 years still going strong.  Replaced the heat deflectors a year ago.  Have had to replace ignitor twice.  May need burners in a couple of years but they still look good and have an even flame pattern.

Brad Eden

(Grilling year round may demand a more sturdy and expensive grill, I guess. I only use mine from mid May until maybe mid October-so 5 months...and I might grill once a week. Then it goes under a cover under the deck for the other 7 months. I have no desire to grill in freezing temps and under 3 feet of snow.)

JoeFroESS

@Brad There is a huge difference between a Maine winter and a Southern Ohio one....  That's why I can grill year round.

apachecadillac

I had a Weber 3 burner for fifteen years that finally died and we replaced it with a Weber 2 burner because there were only two of us about five years ago.  Mistake.  My daughter's SO has a 3 burner Weber his Dad bequeathed to him when in the enthusiasm of early retirement the guy went over the the Green Egg/Kamodo Joe Dark Side, and, this spring using their grill the difference in heat output between 2 and 3 burners was really noticeable.

Not sure if this is relevant in the quality/price discussion, but next grill I get (unless I, too, succumb to the Dark Side, and having recently bought a premium cooler, I will confess to tendencies that way) will crank out the heat big time. 

BTW, I can believe that chainsaws and grills in box stores with certain labels are promotional grade.  The dirty little secret of a lot of branding--the stuff in factory outlet stores is made to a different price point, and so on.