ruff hunter

Dark TV Shows !!!!!

ruff hunter

With the talk of Westworld, Breaking Bad, and other dark shows ... I got to thinking 🤔..... Do you think that we like to see other people struggle and give into the darkness that is somewhere inside us???..... All these shows are awesome 😎 but most are dark and show just how morbid mankind is lol 😆 !!

Big Al

They help us feel better about ourselves.  Cause I ain't no lying, murdering meth dealer.

MAArcher

I don't think its about giving into darkness really or being morbid.  What I like about Westworld is that the oppressed/enslaved "hosts" might get some justice and "guests", if they survive, will be made to think twice about themselves and who they are.  That and the element of unknown, how many other narratives are there?  But I think what I like the most, the common thread in all those apocalyptic types of shows, is the simple idea that you have an excuse to not worry about the mundane.  Sometimes I think I'd trade the ever present pressure and monotony of making the mortgage payment and raising kids for a life of "Right here, right now, nothing else matters because I'm fending off zombies and foraging for my next meal".  At least for a little while.  Its just an escape from real life.   

I read or saw something somewhere, talking about what it was to be a man today; part cave man, programmed to fighting predators and marauding tribes and kill food, and now currently, not having a use for that programming any longer.  We once had to handle life or death emergencies on a routine basis.  Now we don't.  I think it's like that programming we once had is dying, and itching a bit as it does, and the increasing violent and dramatic cinema we have is the ointment for it.  Pretty soon we'll all be born soft chubby babies and just stay that way, like all the adults in the movie WALL-E.

Don Steese

I watch nearly no tv but when I do it can't be anything deep or dark. Give me something where the plot is simple. Good guys win, bad guys lose. Simple just like my mind!!

Brad Eden

Sometimes the darkness is too much.  But, there is a difference between violence and darkness IMO. I don't see WestWorld as dark. Some shows are so generally depressing that you sometimes need to step away for awhile. A perfect example is The Handmade's Tale. On the one hand it is very good, on the other hand grim and depressing. JoAnn can't watch it in bed like we usual watch a series before going to sleep. It upsets her too much and she can't sleep.

steveziv

I like dark-ish comedies like Always Sunny In Philadelphia, AP-Bio, Archer, Trailer Park Boys.  In retrospect Seinfeld falls into this category too.

oak stob

Whether it is the “dark”, “reality” or “I’m worse off than you” shows or, my Grandmother’s “stories”......no interest from me.

I do miss Andy Griffith(I know, reruns) and the good Poirot(Suchet).

marysburg

I don't usually watch dark stuff.  Today, on the news crawl, they said that pop music has gotten more sad, more emotional,  and less cheerful than it was 30 years ago.  No kidding.  I want to see a story end with the good guy getting the girl, or being a hero or just a happy conclusion.  Sappy, but there it is.

GB Jack
On 5/16/2018 at 10:54 AM, steveziv said:

I like dark-ish comedies like Always Sunny In Philadelphia, AP-Bio, Archer, Trailer Park Boys.  In retrospect Seinfeld falls into this category too.

Trailer park boys is dark as hell,  hidden with comedy ;)

Brad Eden

Always Sunny in Philadelphia isn't necessarily dark, but is sometimes so vile I can't watch it. Like Seinfeld on steroids. (I like Seinfeld a lot)

Don Steese

I miss The Rockford Files!!

GregSC

If you have cozi tv they still show the Rockford files. 

Uplander

I just found a new one on Netflix:  The Frankenstein Chronicles.  Dark, and great!

paul frey

Cinemax... Banshee, pretty dark

ruff hunter

I loved Banshee!!!!!