fishvik

Disturbed at Ad in DU mag

fishvik

Is there anyone else who thought that the ad for a waterfowl outfitter was delivering a bad message in the recent copy of DU's magazine. One of the photos shows a bunch of spent shotshell hulls floating in the water. That is one of my pet peeves, folks leaving spent hulls in hunting areas, upland or waterfowl . I'm a big supporter of Ducks Unlimited but I don't think this reflects well on them.

Crazy Horse

I suppose if you're shooting a pump or semi-auto from a sneakbox at waterfowl you're probably going to see some if not most of your spent shells landing in the water. I doubt many gunners retrieve their spent shells from such a situation.

Shooting a SxS or an O/U you wouldn't have that problem, but most waterfowlers shoot pumps and semi-autos.

sprocket

I won't over-react about the ad I haven't seen but I try to pick up as much as I can while in the field.

As a waterfowler - I pick up my shells to leave no trace - or indicate where I was when I shot...I also pick up random trash or other debris to leave it better.

I have images in my brain of shells floating in duckweed as I pick them up - small movies of a certain day/time/place that cannot be replicated.

If there are more than 6 shells per gun then maybe it's in bad taste but again, I haven't seen the ad - Maybe relax a bit - infighting is worse than the attacks we are suffering.

Cheesy

I’ll first off say I pick up my trash and empties to the best of my ability.   I won’t say I take all my empties, but very close. 

This discussion makes me think of laying prone  on a ridge top in Wyoming and shot a buck antelope a few years ago. After the shot I was laying there taking it all in. Looked down at my pack and beside it half sticking out of the ground was a .30-40 Krag casing. I thought that pretty cool. That at sometime in the past, who knows how many years prior, somebody else was laying in same spot doing same thing I was.

Carried that casing in my pocket for the rest of the trip. It now rests in my drawer of “stuff”. Mementos from my past experiences. 

Rick Hall
7 hours ago, Cheesy said:

This discussion makes me think of laying prone  on a ridge top in Wyoming and shot a buck antelope a few years ago. After the shot I was laying there taking it all in. Looked down at my pack and beside it half sticking out of the ground was a .30-40 Krag casing. I thought that pretty cool. That at sometime in the past, who knows how many years prior, somebody else was laying in same spot doing same thing I was.

What an incredibly neat find.

Auto-5

I agree that everyone should try and pickup after themselves and feel confident that over the years I have carried out my share of shells and then some . I don’t however sweat the occasional hull or casing that I don’t find or that flips over in a impenetrable  thicket. I don’t think it would be a bad idea to go back to paper hulls that eventually degrade, or at least more so than plastic. Truthfully I see a lot more plastic water bottles, styrofoam worm cups, mono line, cigarette butts  and other trash than shotshell hulls. 

Brad Eden
9 hours ago, Cheesy said:

Carried that casing in my pocket for the rest of the trip. It now rests in my drawer of “stuff”. Mementos from my past experiences. 

Wow. That reminds me. I was scouting out some new areas to deer hunt many moons ago. I don't like to encounter other hunters so explored up high on the ridges and bowls of a nearby mountain. About 3/4's to the top I encountered granite ledges. Looking down I could see a nice beech ridge bowl. I figured any buck worth its salt would be traveling up through this area at dawn to avoid any activity below. I looked around below the ledges and saw a boulder field and picked a large nicely shaped boulder that I could sit against and my legs would extend below me comfortably. As I sat down to get a good look around I saw some faded brass, and picked up a 30-06 spent casing. Amazing. It was old. Someone else had picked this exact same spot to take a ground stand and possibly shot a deer, way up the side of a mountain...a stand that took an hour to get to uphill.

image.jpeg

Took this bad bad boy while sitting against that boulder as well as a 6 pt and passed on numerous spikes and does from that spot. The area was sold off and cut off and is now posted. I have my memories and both those bucks on my wall.

(I don't find all that many spent shotgun shells when out and about, and pick them up when I do. I've been involved in marketing and advertising my whole career and admit art directors get carried away with impactful images, which is likely what happened with that DU ad.)

charlo slim
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Someone else had picked this exact same spot to take a ground stand and possibly Sh** a deer, way up the side of a mountain.

OMG!!:o

steveziv
10 hours ago, fishvik said:

One of the photos shows a bunch of spent shotshell hulls floating in the water.

I think that's an image most duck hunters are familiar with so from an advertising standpoint it strikes a familiar chord and has a positive association.

I'd like to think people are smart enough to know those hulls should be retrieved, but there are admittedly a fair number of slob hunters out there.

mister grouse

I told this piece before on another thread, but it is apropos here i think.  On a chukar hunt in the high desert I had pursued some birds uphill (i DO know better); towards the top it became a hand over hand climb. Super steep with no more than a few yards visibility to the brow.  The dog Bee is  clawing her way up, scenting birds above me, and creeping and stopping at intervals  not more than twenty feet above.  I was trying to climb, prepare to shoot in an instant, and maintain climbing traction ,  all at the same time .  When I get up to the edge of the brim Bee  has disappeared over the top.  I get my head and shoulders over the rim and see the dog flattened to the ground 15 yards in front on a level bouldery area with intermittent low sage.  I know the dog has the birds pinned , and they have to be right under her nose.  I gather my legs to stand and prepare for the flush and shot.  Up I come.  Bee is rock solid and still flat.  One step and fifteen chukar explode in to the air, all within 30 feet of me.  I quickly pick out and drop two birds.  Im so exhausted from the climb that I   just sat back to the ground.  Clawing at my pack   for water bottle.  Bee has one bird in her mouth and drops it beside me as I guzzle water.  She's off for the other one.  

As i reach for the hard earned chukar Bee has just delivered , I am sitting on this edge with a mile wide valley in front of me and a another high mountain ridge across the way.  I take in the scene .  Then glance down at the ground and there beside a few feathers where Bee has laid the bird  is a perfectly formed flint  arrowhead. ... less than two inches long and one inch wide.  I am sitting where some other hunter has harvested some game hundreds or thousands of years earlier.   It produced one of this eerie feelings that gives you chill bumps as an outdoorsman.  Kindred spirits.  Ages apart.  I carry the point  daily when I hunt in the west.

ARKBRDHUNTER

I actually like finding hulls when I hunt. Due to the low bird numbers and few hunters most are very old and many times are not in production anymore. Last year I found an old 28 gauge fully loaded Remington shell that was very old, ribbed design that was partially melted. This was in a clear cut so it was probably from over 40 years ago prior to this seeding and was burned over after the first cutting when the paper company bought the land. I like to speculate about who found birds there, if I might know their family, what kind of dogs they ran, etc. 

martyg

One aspect that advertisers and shows miss is that they represent hunters, as a population. I tend to be extremnely courteous to people, much more so if I am in hunting clothing, riding my bike, etc.... it send s a signal about who we are.

Ads like the one described, and the vast majority of hunting programs that I see, don't represent me. They put a dark spot on us as hunters.

Clueless1

(I havent seen the photo)

As a pump shooter, my shells will almost always be in the water or on the ground before I pick them up, so if there was a picture taken before I pick up that could be me and I almost always take out more than I take in.  A picture is a snapshot in time.  No telling what happened prior or after.  

oak stob

No, not a all.

More concerned over the DU vs. E Don Thomas deal of a while back.

Hunters themselves do more damage to their own image than any ad.......from actions, inaction, decisions, tv shows and so on.

There are many “hunters” with whom I have no wish to be identified.

“Ads” do open a door and make it easy to toot tho.

SelbyLowndes

My answer to piles of empties that litter a field after a big dove shoot is the Mojo pick stick.  Works fine on duck shoots as well, land or water...SelbyLowndes

https://www.mojooutdoors.com/products/mojo-pick-stick

The perfect machine for ME, no moving parts!