FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
topdog1961

Camper advice

topdog1961

I’ve got zero experience with a camper, but have been contemplating dipping my toe into post retirement lake life early by putting a permanent camper on a quiet family campground on a nice NW Indiana all sports lake that I like to fish. We typically rent a home on this lake for one week a summer for $1,100 and have the grandkids up, they love it.  And I tent camp solo at this campground a few times a year when the fishing is especially good.  A friend of a friend has a camper he mentioned a few months ago that he would sell for only $2,500.  It’s a 30ft hitch tow Starcraft and he keeps it sitting by his home under a large tarp, which is good because he lives in a wooded area.  He claimed it is in great shape inside and out, and everything works perfect.  I declined at the time, but yesterday I saw the tarp was off and it was sitting out in the open, and it does look very nice indeed. I called him up and asked if it was still for sale, and he said he put some new tires on it and was not pursuing selling it, but we could borrow it any time because he didn’t use it much at all.  Then he said to let him think about it, he may let it go. I asked what year it is, and he said he’d have to look at the title but thinks it’s late 90s.  

My concern with older campers is roof leaks.  I asked about the roof and he hesitated, saying that it had had a slight one, no damage was done, and it was fixed because he flex sealed it.  That’s the waterproofing stuff advertised with all the hype on the infomercials.  But if it’s as nice on the inside as the outside as he claims, and everything works, that’s a nice price for a relatively big camper.  Does anyone have any experience with sealing camper roofs, or general advice for a newbie looking for a lower cost camper? It has to be lower cost to be justified by the amount we will initially be able to use it. 

PS- he just called and said he would sell it, but he put just put $500 worth of tires on it and spent $300 materials on taping the seams and three coats of flex seal for the entire roof.  He said we could stop by and look at it anytime. He bought it three years ago with intention of doing some camping when he retires.  But being single, decided to go with a slide in camper so he can take his boat. I’ll post some pics later.

topdog1961

I stopped by.  Didn't take any pics cause I didn't want to lead him on that I was interested. Not a bad looking camper for its age, looked to be used very little. Dated of course but would have beat sleeping on the ground in a tent at the campground. But the wood In the bedroom was bowed from water and there was a slight musty odor. Looks like trouble. 

But it got my wife fired up. She called on a 2015 with a slide out that a guy down the road has for sale. Only been used three times. Asking $12,500, came down to $10,500 over phone, so likely could be bought for less. May go look at it now that I see what $3,000 gets you. 

WyomingArt

If you can borrow a moisture meter, it could save you some heartburn.  The bathroom is a red flag.  Check the window and ceiling vent openings, also check for soft spots in the floor. re: smell. Musty smell for me would be a deal breaker. Big chance insulation got soaked, may be hidden mold between the skin and interior panels.

Take a tape and check distance / clearance near axles,  I've seen axles farther forward on one side than the other. Higher body panels on one side ore than the other.

Don Steese

Wife's fired up. You're doomed to become an RV owner!!

Timn

I dint think I would buy one that was fixed with flex seal. I don't think I would buy one with a old leak been there did that it never works out good.

ccavacini

Which lake?

topdog1961
5 hours ago, ccavacini said:

Which lake?

I like lake pleasant. We had some friends of friends who owned a place across from Manapogo campground. Spent a lot of time there. There is no public ramp so it's not to crazy on the weekend, and downright slow through the week. Good fishing once you learn the lake and beautiful water. Manapogo is a family campground, not fancy but quiet at night after 11:00. Lots of Amish camp there. 

ccavacini
53 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

I like lake pleasant. We had some friends of friends who owned a place across from Manapogo campground. Spent a lot of time there. There is no public ramp so it's not to crazy on the weekend, and downright slow through the week. Good fishing once you learn the lake and beautiful water. Manapogo is a family campground, not fancy but quiet at night after 11:00. Lots of Amish camp there. 

I've fished it.   Ellen and I are remodeling our lake cottage on Lake George...Michigan side...not too far away.