FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Marc Ret

Chronic Bronchitis/ Bronchodilators

Marc Ret

My 12 1/2 yr old lab Max has been dealing with chronic bronchitis. Currently, he is only on antihistamines to help with his breathing and Rimadyl for arthritis. His vet has suggested the possibility of putting him on Theophylline but we're both hesitant as he is of the belief he has congestive heart failure (I'm not convinced of this). 

I've been doing some reading on oral bronchodilators and I'm really not sure what to believe. Also looking at inhaled bronchodilators but the expense is prohibitive. Steroids such as prednisone are an option as well but I'm concerned about the long term effects of these and he would have to come off the Rimadyl which has helped his mobility considerably. 

I'd really like to hear what has helped others' dogs with this condition as I'm at a loss as to what I should do for him. Thanks. 

Dogwood

It appears that a more definitive diagnosis of Max's coughing is at issue, without which a safe and effective treatment plan cannot be made.  Curious why your vet believes Max has CHF, you do not, and are of the belief that he has bronchitis?