2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
BlacknTan

Decent rain gear

BlacknTan

We've had a lot of rain lately, but there are still things I need to do when I need to do them. I've got old Kool-Dri, it's gotten very Kool, and not as Dri anymore. I've gotten a wet butt more that I like in the past few weeks.  I'm looking for a decent, breathable, not hot rain jacket that won't break the bank..

Frogg Toggs look nice, but I know nothing about them... Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

grouse28

I have had a Kool Dri parka and pants for probably 40 years. Loved it. Used to lay in fields in the rain hunting geese and stayed dry.

The pants have delaminated caused by improper storage in a hot attic. The parka is still good. Great rain gear.

WPG Gizmo

Froggs Toggs keep me dry when I need them to

SelbyLowndes

Mine got a little ragged too and I sat thru a wet duck hunt this year.  Lucky it was not particularly cold.  I bought a rain parka by Kuiu which seems pretty nice.  Their Chugach line is very good.   I'll buy cheaper rain pants because I wear the pants out worse. ..SelbyLowndes 

67diesel

Frogg toggs work well, inexpensive, very light but not real durable. 

aje4

Frabill works well too....check out Field Supply.com

they get some good deals....

shoot-straight

ah the rain gear conundrum. the only gear i have ever purchased that has kept me 100% dry is PVC gear- for me all the breathable stuff leaked or began to leak shortly after purchase. its not light or breathable, but i have used commercial rain gear for years both for work and play and never gotten wet. Grundens specifically. i just bought one of their lighter, more flexible jackets in camo. no comments yet, too early. 

from all the research it seems the kuiu raingear has the best and most impermeable membrane, even better the sitka and the other high end stuff. the more packable the suits get the less durable and impermeable they typically are. for example my buddy likes his space rain suit from cabelas for his elk hunts. but thats in an area where it will rain for 30 minutes then stop and be warm and dry for the rest of the day. 

glad to hear many on here like their frog toggs. 

Brad Eden

good question.

Spin

I tried Frogg  Toggs about 5 or 6 years ago against my better judgement. They breathe well, are light and packable and very affordable. They are also somewhat reinforced Tyvek House Wrap (material wise). The Toggs I bought didn't make it through the first morning grouse hunting. Well that's not completely true but a good yard and a half of duct tape was involved. They sure didn't make military specs. for tear proof fabric.

BlacknTan

Thanks gents....

It looks like I'm not getting out of this the cheap way.... Maybe I'll just keep the Kool-Dri in service, get a little wet, or just stay home!

quailguy

Dunno what you are doing while wearing rain gear; that really matters. If you are working your way through multiflora rose bushes in the rain not much is going to emerge unscathed.

On 5/21/2018 at 5:00 PM, BlacknTan said:

It looks like I'm not getting out of this the cheap way.... Maybe I'll just keep the Kool-Dri in service, get a little wet, or just stay home

grouse28
On 5/21/2018 at 5:00 PM, BlacknTan said:

Thanks gents....

It looks like I'm not getting out of this the cheap way.... Maybe I'll just keep the Kool-Dri in service, get a little wet, or just stay home!

Just get some new Kool-Dri

JWP58

I like my marmot precip gear

WyomingArt
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:20 AM, shoot-straight said:

commercial rain gear for years both for work and play and never gotten wet. Grundens specifically.

This! 

Craig Doherty

Commercial rain gear is great if you're sitting on a horse or in a blind but it's a sauna suit if you're moving.  Used KoolDri for years still have a couple jackets somewhere.  the bibs were great but i could never get a season out of them.  Have Frogg Togg set works OK for awhile but not for a full day in the woods.  Now that I'm guiding and don't always get to decide not to hunt in the rain I've spent the money for goretex -- Cabela's guide wear and LL bean upland stuff.  It works as long as you properly clean it and reproof it with a product like NikWax -- it's two trips through the washing machine and dryer on low heat and you're good to go.