Wyobirds

What do you take into the field?

Wyobirds

When hunting locally, I pack a few items that I consider necessary, all of which fit in to my vest, around my neck or on my belt.  

Annie's leash, which is next to a military 6 piece cleaning rod in the olive drab sack aka wad knocker.  Strike anywhere matches, Multi-tool, dog whistle, hunting license and stamps, the black pouch is a minimal first aid kit and finally, 10 shotgun shells loaded for the intended targets.  

DSC_0001_zpsbb4b032e.jpg

SelbyLowndes

Flashlight, cell phone, and a knife.  Well, and a gun of course...SelbyLowndes

Bandaids would be a good idea; blood thinners make a brush with a thorn vine look like a ten car collision on the highway.

Wyobirds

Selby, I may be the only person in the US that is not enamored with cell phones.  I have one that requires that I buy phone time and I only carry the thing when on the road.

Our main travel vehicle has Blue Tooth and that is convenient.

I just finished my Spring work which this year consisted of cutting Russian Olive trees from my irrigation ditches and repairing/replacing deer and cattle damaged fences.

My Russian Olive/fencing pants are in style and have many tears that expose my legs and I'm sure that I could sell them to a city teen.  Well .. maybe not there is a little blood from the barbed wire and thorns.

Curt
20 minutes ago, Wyobirds said:

Selby, I may be the only person in the US that is not enamored with cell phones.  I have one that requires that I buy phone time and I only carry the thing when on the road.

Our main travel vehicle has Blue Tooth and that is convenient.

You aren't alone in your attitude about cell phones.  I lost mine while hunting last December and haven't yet felt the need to replace it.  Most of the places I hunt here in PA don't have cell service anyway so what's the point.  I can always check my answering machine when I get home, if it's important enough they'll leave a message.  I saw a tv report yesterday that the average person checks their cell phone 80 times a day.  Talk about getting a life.

Mike da Carpenter
2 hours ago, Wyobirds said:

My Russian Olive/fencing pants are in style and have many tears that expose my legs and I'm sure that I could sell them to a city teen.  

Just reading that got me to laughing.  Almost 20 years ago, we had just finished up building a new High School in a VERY well to do location of SE Michigan and were doing punch list items while school was in session.  The jeans I was wearing had seen many better days and quite frankly, I probably shouldn’t have been wearing them for their intended purpose (safety).  

Some kid walking down the hall with his buddies started talking how “Awesome” the jeans looked and “wish he knew where to buy some like that?.”

I replied with “right here tomorrow”.  Told him I’d take them home and wash then bring them in if he was interested.  I was amazed to hear him say “sure”.

The next day, we met up, I gave him the pants that I probably never would have worn again, and he gave me three $20 bills ($60).  Since we never talked price,  I was hoping for $10.  I think we both left there pleased with the deal.  

If I had known there was a market for them...before there was a market...I would have saved every pair and bought others from the other tradesmen.  It’s weird what some people will do to acquire a certain look.

oak stob

Optimism and realistic degree of satisfaction.

Brad H

IMG_2911.JPG

I used to take all kinds of stuff but I have become more of a minimalist. I can now fit all my stuff into my Filson Strap Vest.

I take my shotgun, 1-2 boxes of shells, water, snack, knife, small first aid kit, quail call, and Spot Locator (I hunt by myself in some pretty remote areas), gloves if it is cold. Then I try my best to fill the game bag with little feathered flying things that I don't seem to hit very often. 

kgb

Lots of water for the dogs.

Wyobirds
Just now, kgb said:

Lots of water for the dogs.

Good point, when I hunt the ranch carrying water is not necessary because there are two creeks, a spring and several miles of the Big Horn river.  Away from the ranch and where water sources are not known, I pack a pair of Bota Bags.

DSC_0048_zpslwzlargr.jpg

SelbyLowndes

Little need to tote dog water down here.  I likely despise cell phones more than most old coots here. Mine stays turned off until I want to call somebody up on it.  Nevertheless, my balance and strength is not what it used to be. Sometimes I fall, and when i do its a question whether i will get myself back on my feet.  Luckily, my three grown boys live nearby and more than once they've had to come get me up...SelbyLowndes 

kgb
3 hours ago, Wyobirds said:

Good point, when I hunt the ranch carrying water is not necessary because there are two creeks, a spring and several miles of the Big Horn river.  Away from the ranch and where water sources are not known, I pack a pair of Bota Bags.

DSC_0048_zpslwzlargr.jpg

I bring along one bota and two sport bottles, fill up whatever I think is needed and arrange about my person.  My bota is plastic, about like a syrup bottle, I would like to get a collapsible.  A backpack would have the capacity but I don't like having a padded brace over my shoulder where the gun has to set.  

NECarson
12 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Just reading that got me to laughing.  Almost 20 years ago, we had just finished up building a new High School in a VERY well to do location of SE Michigan and were doing punch list items while school was in session.  The jeans I was wearing had seen many better days and quite frankly, I probably shouldn’t have been wearing them for their intended purpose (safety).  

Some kid walking down the hall with his buddies started talking how “Awesome” the jeans looked and “wish he knew where to buy some like that?.”

I replied with “right here tomorrow”.  Told him I’d take them home and wash then bring them in if he was interested.  I was amazed to hear him say “sure”.

The next day, we met up, I gave him the pants that I probably never would have worn again, and he gave me three $20 bills ($60).  Since we never talked price,  I was hoping for $10.  I think we both left there pleased with the deal.  

If I had known there was a market for them...before there was a market...I would have saved every pair and bought others from the other tradesmen.  It’s weird what some people will do to acquire a certain look.

Back when I worked outside all day everyday I wore a cowboy hat. More than a few people were very impressed with how cool and aged it was. 

Work with some horses and cattle, build some fence, drop a few trees, and frame a few houses and YOU TOO CAN HAVE ONE! 

NECarson

Water for me and for the dog. Maybe some coffee in a small thermos. Sometimes a pack of peanuts. 

Whistle, ecollar, and Garmin. 

Shells. 

Leash. 

License, flashlight, Zippo, phone, etc are always in my pockets. 

Chukarman

I don't carry a cell phone when hunting... no service most places I hunt anyway.

quailguy
On 5/25/2018 at 10:25 AM, Curt said:

You aren't alone in your attitude about cell phones.  I lost mine while hunting last December and haven't yet felt the need to replace it.  Most of the places I hunt here in PA don't have cell service anyway so what's the point.  I can always check my answering machine when I get home, if it's important enough they'll leave a message.

Check your land line phone bill; I haven't had one for many years, but the last time I checked the land line phone bill was about 40% taxes. I got rid of it the next month. I take photos with my cell phone, have maps and directions (need cell coverage) and a compass (don't need coverage). I also have an app which marks my trips on a map, adds photos and comments. Put in those bird locations, good fishing spots with photos, yes I do. Pretty handy and cheaper than a land line phone so what's not to like ????