FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
boutdoors4

Calls

boutdoors4

I've been getting the bug to make my own quail calls lately, do any of you make your own calls? Calls for just about species you pursue. Do you have your own special call you make?

rawhide

I haven't made any calls in recent times, however, when I was a youth in NE Texas we made "snuff can" quail calls by hammering two snuff cans together and making nail holes in the bottoms.  The commercial version of that style is the Thomas Bob White Calls that I buy and dress up and offer as accessories to lanyards I make.  See Accessories under T2 Lanyards.

There was an article in F&S Aug 2011, p. 39, Sportsman's Notebook, "Brass Tactics" by T. Edward Nickens, that showed how to make similar calls out of shotgun shell brass.   They were described for use as whistles for teal and widgeon.   I figure I could reproduce the "bobwhite covey recall" on one (but since I buy the Thomas calls I was not inspired to invest the time to make one from shotgun shell brass and try it).  If you are interested in the FS article and cannot otherwise locate a copy, sent me an email and I will be pleased to send you a pdf copy.

I've  made and used a number of turkey wingbone yelpers.  Books by Lovett Williams are a good source on that.  Making one is easier than learning how to effectively yelp on it, and since the "tone" on each one is different, I made several before I made one that sounded really sweet to me.

walt lister

Crazy Horse

That's OK Walt, but I think I'll e-mail Larry (Knotsmith) for the article on making a Quail Call out of shotgun brass. ;~)

rawhide

Well, after the fact, I noticed that the OP is in CA and is not referring to bobwhite quail, but the question about making calls was broad enough.

mccuha

I have the old metal bob w. Metal call with the hole in the middle.  What I’ve been looking for and can’t find is a bob w cassette tape. Use to have one a very long time ago. I had a speaker rigged in the grill of the truck. I would play the call and locate covies in new areas then go back later and find them.  I wish I could find another. It really worked great and had a lot more response with it vs the mouth call

Brad H

On 5/26/2018 at 1:29 PM, boutdoors4 said:

What I was talking about are more sophisticated calls,

this guy takes it to a new level.

https://www.outdoornewsservice.com/quail-calls

I made one like this guy sells out of a few pieces of walnut and a rubber band. It was going to be my prototype and i was planning on building several out of nice wood. Some day I will build some more. It is a pretty simple and fun project.