FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Millriver

No bird, but......

Millriver

So my son was home from school and wanted to get me out for a hunt on the last day of our season, since I haven't been able to get out.  We were out the door at 4:30 heading to one of our favorite places at my wife's family's farm.

No gobbles were heard, but about an hour in we had a hen come in, splitting us at about 10 feet away, looking for the hen calling. She never made us and it was very cool watching and listening to her. We heard a grouse drumming across the pasture, always a good sign.

We relocated, also without any turkeys, but driving out saw a male grouse in full display courting a female next to the road. Watched them for a few minutes, enjoying the show.

Hit one more spot, and saw 5 jakes and a huge Tom in a field. Set up in the woods, but I guess  my calling wasn't good enough to draw any birds in. Did hear another grouse drumming. I love hearing that. Walked more today than I have in 8 weeks, knee is coming along fine.

This was just a great day spending time in the woods with my son, even though not a shot was fired. Until next year.....

gunsrus

That's a positive experience . Glad you got to spend it with your son . 

atticus

Sounds like a great hunt to me!  Family, outdoors, seeing and hearing cool stuff--taking a Tom would've just been gravy. 

Brad Eden

With a bad knee and all sounds like a good hunt all in all. Mother Nature apparently provided plenty of peripheral entertainment.

FWIW...Field birds can make a turkey hunter go out of their minds. I hate them and avoid them as best as I can. One positive I've found is that while working a field Tom, or even a gobbling bird that is out of sight but stuck, is that it isn't uncommon for satellite Toms or Jakes to come into the set up/hide from out of nowhere.  Happens all the time to me and dId this year.

Irishwhistler

Great Day Dave, bird or no bird, time well spent.👍

Cheers,

Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸