2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
25/06

Ears swollen

25/06

We have a 3 year old English Setter female that is spayed.

The dogs ears swell up and it has moved to the lips

This happened last fall and the Vet told us to give her Benadryl and after several days it seems to have gotten better.

As of Saturday it started to happen again?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

This is essentially an inside dog but has the run of the yard during the day. No bites or tears of flesh that I can see. The ears are simply 3X thicker than normal and red.

She seems healthy otherwise.

We changed dog food and this did not seem to matter.

PS Vet tech last time prescribed over the counter Benadryl. Two tablets in the morning and two more in the evening.  This seem like too much to me. Last time we gave 1/2 tablet 3 times a day.

Symptoms eventually cleared. I asked my wife to confirm direct with vet for dosage. Does 4 tablets a day seem like a lot for a 37lb dog?

Any idea of underlying issues?

Thanks!

Rockdoc

Hell, four tablets would turn me into a zombie. I almost flunked out of high school because of Benadryl (that's all they had for pollen allergy's back then). Be careful with it, you can overdose your dog to the point where it'll kill. At least it's been known to kill humans who overdosed with it. I hate Benadryl!

Steve

gunsrus

Maybe bee sting ? Don't think you would see a stinger . Maybe Doc will chime in . 

BlacknTan

I have seen this before in Goldens, but not Setters. From what their Vets have told them, it is due to allergies...

Dogwood

Allergic reaction to an insect bite most likely.  Proper dose of Benadryl is 1 mg/pound 3 times daily.  So 1 and 1/2 25 mg tablets each dose.  Pretty hard to kill a dog with Benadryl.  Fake news!!!

25/06
16 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Allergic reaction to an insect bite most likely.  Proper dose of Benadryl is 1 mg/pound 3 times daily.  So 1 and 1/2 25 mg tablets each dose.  Pretty hard to kill a dog with Benadryl.  Fake news!!!

Thanks!

Vet thinks it might be plant based reaction as she grazes while out walking.she prescribed hydroxyzine (sp?) seems much better!

I am well North of 200lb and 1/2 a benyryl makes me sleep like I was hit over the head with a board.

Dogwood

Dosing  many meds for dogs and people very different in many cases. Ditto for side effects.

SxSetter

Could be an adverse food reaction?  Did she eat anything different around that time other than plants?  Grass and tree pollen allergies are spring season and ragweed may be an issue in August and September.  Dog's seasonal patterns seem to follow peoples allergy seasons, watch the pollen counts for your area.

Chukarman

Sounds like allergy. Could be an allergy to almost anything. Benedryl will treat it, but not fix it.

My hunting partner has a setter that is allergic to green grass, Her feet get red and slightly swollen and the hair falls out. Has to minimize her time running on the lawn.