2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
NCgrouse

Therma-Cell

NCgrouse

Anybody use those things? They seem to be the ticket for a small area, like when you're drawing with chalk on the patio with your 1 year old trying to not let him get bit to pieces.

Anyone have input on that?

WPG Gizmo

Use them all the time both in the woods and around the house there are many different styles https://www.thermacell.com/ you can also find some decent deals on them if you look around.

I dont go out into the woods without one

Rick Hall

How South Louisiana was settled without them is one of life's great mysteries.  Lighting a Thermacell is the first order of business when we get in the blind on warm mornings.  Great for semi-enclosed areas like blinds or in the open when there's little breeze and they can be put upwind.  But largely useless in open areas with much wind. 

(Cheap bastage that I am, I refill mine's butane cartridges, ala youtube, and buy Thia replant pads on e-bay.  But the device, itself, still has such a short lifespan, that I've worn out several.)

bigdog MN

Buddies that bow hunt swear by thermocell and they make a patio version.

I was recently reading about succes with something called a Spartan Mosquito eradicator. Have not tried it yet but did pick up a set to try at our gun club, which is overrun with mosquitoes

SelbyLowndes

When I began bow hunting deer back in the '60s we were afraid to even wear bug spray for fear of spooking them.  Now they don't even blink at a Thermacell.  Progress is great!...SelbyLowndes  

aerochris

I never go bowhunting with out one.  They are great. 

atticus

Best invention in years. 

Mike da Carpenter

Best mosquito repellant product I have ever used.  Loved it so much, I bought 3 more.

rawhide

They work wonderfully for spring turkey hunting.  

Natty Bumpo

ABSOLUTELY FAN-DAMN-TASTIC  !!  Friends don't let friends go in the woods without one.

markbrit

A few years ago at a boyscout camp in Maryland right off the river, the skeeters would come out from 8-9 PM every night. They were brutal.

I found my forgotten thermacell in my pack and laid it on the picnic table the next night. You should have seen 20 boyscouts huddled around that picnic table, not a bite on anybody...they work :)

bmeador

Got the normal, personal one that I use spring gobbler hunting, early archery season, September goose season and night catfishing. Got the bigger, lantern-looking one for camping. AWESOME products!!!!  

Snipeaholic

Don't leave home without it. Seems to work on sand gnats too.

MAArcher

I can't comprehend how outdoor life was lived before Thermacell. 

There is a time when they don't work well though, its when the breeze is enough to blow the repellent away, but its not blowing hard enough to keep the bugs away.  

I was in Wall-Mart last night looking to pick up refills.  They were sold out of all Thermacell products, leaving a gaping hole in the wall of bug repellents they had all otherwise fully stocked.

rawhide
23 hours ago, rawhide said:

They work wonderfully for spring turkey hunting.  

For Tom Kelly's exultation on discovering  Thermacell's contribution to turkey hunting see. "Take Back in Fancy", pp. 95-100, published in 2005.