2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
BlacknTan

Quotable Quotes

BlacknTan

My long passed Mother loved quotations.. she had books devoted to them. As time has passed, I seem to have inherited her passion..

There are many very quotable people, but I think my favorite, other than Yankees catcher Yogi Berra, is Winston Churchill. He had hundreds of quotes well worthy of remembering, and usage in the right social situations..

Some of my favorites...

Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea. Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.

There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.

Any you enjoy or use regularly?

ccavacini

I have a great friend living in England.  We trade Churchill's quotations constantly.  I can't have a favorite.  As soon as I find one that's the best, he tops himself.

oak stob

I’m just preparing my impromptu remarks...Winston Churchill

I like many quotes aside from Sir Winston:

We lie loudest when we lie to ourselves....Eric Hoffer

In those days we had never heard of passing up the chance to kill a wolf. in a second we were pumping lead into the pack, but with more excitement than accuracy. When our rifles were empty the old wolf was down and a pup was dragging a leg into impassable slide rocks...Aldo Leopold

Noncomformity is the highest evolutionary attainment of social animals....Aldo Leopold

I do not believe in suffering for my pleasure....Bob Fluharty

If you can approach shooting as something to be enjoyed, not a frustrating obsession, it can enrich your life....George Evans

Be worthy of your game...George Evans

fishvik

"There are two kinds of problem drinkers, those that drink too much and those that drink too little." Winston Churchill

topdog1961

I don't remember who originally said it, nor cannot quote it exactly, but I heard this as an early teen and it struck me as so true I never forgot it. I tried to live my life by it:

Highly intelligent people talk about abstract things...........concepts, theories, philosophy, etc. 

People of average intelligence talk about more tangible things.............cars, sports, vacations, etc. 

People of low intelligence talk about..........other people. 

BlacknTan

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect..  Mark Twain

This one resonates with me...

Brad Eden

See my Signature lines...third one down is a favorite of mine.

Dave in Maine

About a clueless driver:  "He's taking up my half of the middle." My dad.

Another about a clueless driver, or generally clueless person:  "[Well] make up my mind for me [already]."  My dad.

"Give a man a little power and you'll soon find out how small he is."  My dad.

About a fellow lawyer, who stole his boss's practice and destroyed the rest before leaving with the stolen practice (while the boss was hospitalized):  "He'll go far".  My dad.

topdog1961

My mom was full of sayings that were totally meaningless,  unless you were raised in the same "holler" in eastern KY as she. We moved away when I was 5. One that I remember was, when anything was tight, it was "tighter than Cootsie's hatband". Apparently a guy named Cootsie wore his hat so tight it left indentations in his head when he took it off. 

After awhile, I stopped asking. 

gunsrus

My grandfather , If I asked to borrow something , he would tell me , "remember it already has a home" . 

oak stob

“tighter than Dick’s hatband”...old saying about thrift hereabouts.

”all you can do with gloves on, is whistle”...my father, I believe.

WPG Gizmo

More than a few that you cant really say in public :P

But a few of the classic are when someone says "Here hold my Beer and watch this" that one is always good and never fails to amuse.

Some of the Marine ones I prefer "Marines die, that's what we're here for. But the Marine Corps lives forever. And that means YOU live forever." Gunny Emery

and a simple Semper Fi always works

I've always been proud of being a Marine. I won't hesitate to defend the Corps. 
Jonathan Winters, comic and Marine

Don Steese
1 hour ago, BlacknTan said:

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect..  Mark Twain

This one resonates with me...

Being a lifelong contrarian, I really identify with this one!  I've always figured if everyone was doing it, it wasn't worth doing. 

Randy S
1 hour ago, topdog1961 said:

I don't remember who originally said it, nor cannot quote it exactly, but I heard this as an early teen and it struck me as so true I never forgot it. I tried to live my life by it:

Highly intelligent people talk about abstract things...........concepts, theories, philosophy, etc. 

People of average intelligence talk about more tangible things.............cars, sports, vacations, etc. 

People of low intelligence talk about..........other people. 

I always liked that quote too:

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Great minds discus ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Also  "Make no small plans for they have no magic to stir men's blood"  Daniel Burnham

topdog1961
5 minutes ago, Randy S said:

I always liked that quote too:

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Great minds discus ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Also  "Make no small plans for they have no magic to stir men's blood"  Daniel Burnham

Thanks Randy, now I know the source. A very wise woman.