Jump to content
REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
dvmweb

Thank you Garmin (Alpha)

Recommended Posts

dvmweb

I bought my Garmin Alpha and one collar in 2013. 5 years ago. I bought another collar a couple of years later. I use them just about every day.

 

Well, the first collar began to break down from use and wear last fall. It still worked though. A few weeks ago the gps part failed, the band was torn by the battery pack.

 

I called Garmin expecting to have to buy a new collar because it was so out of warranty. They charged me $80 for a refurbished unit, it was just like brand new, with a 90 day warrabty. I then sent my old collar back. They did charge me another $80 deposit until they received the old collar. That seemed pretty fair to me.

 

I really like my GPS Alpha system.

 

Thank you Garmin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MUSTANGER7
50 minutes ago, dvmweb said:

I really like my GPS Alpha system.

I got my Garmin back in 09, run three one on each dog, all work well and give me piece of mind on where my guys are, called Garmin to update the collars and they were great, very helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike da Carpenter

An Alpha is at the top of my shopping list, but the $800 tag is a hard pill to swallow.  When, and if, they go on sale again, I’m jumping on the offer.  

 

My my only question is that with my GSP, he is almost 7 months old, and his neck right now (measured behind the ears, base of the skull) is 13”.  I know it is nearly impossible to know for sure, but what neck circumference can be expected, and do I get the tt15 or tt15 mini?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gunsrus

I have 40lb Setters . The TT15 is fine but I like the TT15 mini better . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike da Carpenter
47 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

I have 40lb Setters . The TT15 is fine but I like the TT15 mini better . 

My GSP just hit the 40# mark last weekend.  So that gives me a good idea that the TT 15 might be a better choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Craig Doherty

Size of the collar doesn't matter -- as far as fit is concerned it's the the length of the collar that is critical and it's the same on both units.  I run only minis.  Despite the fact that they supposedly have a little bit less range the the large ones, I haven't found that to be true and find the minis much less intrusive when it comes to taking up space on the dog's neck.  I use them on dogs weighing between 35 and 70 pounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike da Carpenter
45 minutes ago, Craig Doherty said:

Size of the collar doesn't matter -- as far as fit is concerned it's the the length of the collar that is critical and it's the same on both units.  I run only minis.  Despite the fact that they supposedly have a little bit less range the the large ones, I haven't found that to be true and find the minis much less intrusive when it comes to taking up space on the dog's neck.  I use them on dogs weighing between 35 and 70 pounds.

I hear what you are saying Craig, but all my research shows that the GPS transmitter should be on the top of the dog’s neck to get the best reception.  I prefer the looks/size of the Mini though.  

 

Do you notice if there is an issue with the mini transmitting differently on the larger dogs compared to the smaller ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Craig Doherty

When you put the collar on the dog you snug it up in the position you want it -- which as you've pointed out is with the GPS "puck" on top of the neck -- again size of the dog doesn't matter -- if the collar is sliding around and out of position it's because it's too loose and not because of the size of the neck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike da Carpenter

That makes perfectly good sense.  The “shock” portion of the collar can be where ever it is, as long as the GPS unit is at the top, not to mention the smaller size and also weight.  Thank you for the advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
E.Young

I apprehensively bought TT15s, not sure if I should get the minis or the full-size. The fact that the full-size has around 3x the GPS range sold me. Nothing like peace of mind and you can lose 3 miles darn easy. 

 

Size wise, they work just fine for my dogs - setters between 35 and 42lbs. It was a bit big but really just fine when I ran it on my 25lb pup in the early season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cajunl

That is a good deal. Garmin usually charges me $110 for the refurbish. In my experience Garmin has excellent customer service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cajunl

I just bought a new tt15 at the refurbished Gander mountain. They offer a $40 replacement plan on there Garmin stuff for the life of it.  I will see how it turns out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grouse28

The range on the units is governed by the radio. Each unit has a GPS unit on it, the collar and the receiver. All the GPS is used for is location of the individual unit. There is a radio (MURS) on the collar that transmits the latitude and longitude of the collar location to the receiver which does some calculations to determine the vector to the collar. That being said, range is determined by the radio and is pretty much line of sight. The 3 mile range of the larger unit is only useful in more or less flat terrain. Put a mountain in the way and you are screwed with either unit. I have two of the mini’s and have had no issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Flush
On 6/6/2018 at 7:25 PM, E.Young said:

I apprehensively bought TT15s, not sure if I should get the minis or the full-size. The fact that the full-size has around 3x the GPS range sold me. Nothing like peace of mind and you can lose 3 miles darn easy.  

 

In the real world you will almost never get 3 miles of range, even with the full size TT15. I don't know how they come up with their range ratings but my hunting buddies and I have all been running Garmins since they first came out and all the full size collars routinely lose communication with you anything beyond 500 yards. You may pick the dog up occasionally at a mile but no way will you maintain contact consistently at those ranges, and that's in very wide open country. 

 

The lack of range in the real world is by far my biggest complaint with the Garmin (or any GPS) system. Maybe in the real world the actual difference between the TT15 and the TT15mini isn't that much, but in my experience it's better to as much range as you can get.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
E.Young
22 hours ago, Flush said:

 

In the real world you will almost never get 3 miles of range, even with the full size TT15. I don't know how they come up with their range ratings but my hunting buddies and I have all been running Garmins since they first came out and all the full size collars routinely lose communication with you anything beyond 500 yards. You may pick the dog up occasionally at a mile but no way will you maintain contact consistently at those ranges, and that's in very wide open country. 

 

The lack of range in the real world is by far my biggest complaint with the Garmin (or any GPS) system. Maybe in the real world the actual difference between the TT15 and the TT15mini isn't that much, but in my experience it's better to as much range as you can get.

 

 

 

 

Don't tell me that. 

 

Really, the fact that I bought the things should mean that I never need them. Isn't that how it works?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×