REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
dvmweb

Thank you Garmin (Alpha)

blanked

Lion country bought everything I sold them working or not.  Even 2 old tritronics Classic 70 collars and transmitter that hadn’t been charged in 5 years

Craig Doherty
On 7/2/2018 at 6:27 PM, Flush said:

In the real world you will almost never get 3 miles of range, even with the full size TT15. I don't know how they come up with their range ratings but my hunting buddies and I have all been running Garmins since they first came out and all the full size collars routinely lose communication with you anything beyond 500 yards. You may pick the dog up occasionally at a mile but no way will you maintain contact consistently at those ranges, and that's in very wide open country. 

The lack of range in the real world is by far my biggest complaint with the Garmin (or any GPS) system. Maybe in the real world the actual difference between the TT15 and the TT15mini isn't that much, but in my experience it's better to as much range as you can get.

Switch to an aftermarket antenna for your Alpha -- I've used a couple different ones and they do improve collar communication.  

Mike da Carpenter
3 hours ago, Craig Doherty said:

Switch to an aftermarket antenna for your Alpha -- I've used a couple different ones and they do improve collar communication.  

What is the aftermarket brand antenna you went to, also it’s length?

Craig Doherty
18 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

What is the aftermarket brand antenna you went to, also it’s length?

This one and this one and one other that I can't find right now.