Jump to content
2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
bennelli-banger

road trip in July..Stillwater County, MT

Recommended Posts

bennelli-banger

          kind of finalized the "rough draft" of my road trip the 2nd week of July...heading through Medora, ND to Stillwater County, MT...towns of Nye, Columbus and a few others that make up Stillwater County.  Will go home through Lewistown, head back on HWY 2 so I can see some farmers friends in NW ND and check out conditions there.  Don't have much of an itinerary, but open to ideas....THANKS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Okhotnik

I’d check out the crazy mountains by Big Timber and Boulder creek area by Big Timber.  Since you’re in the area drive down to Cooke City in YNP

 

not hearing good reports from farmer friends in NW ND. Second year of drought

 

have fun that is a beautiful area of our country 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don Steese

Last year when we left Montana ( always pains me to say those words) my wife and I eschewed the interstates and took Rt 2 all the way to Michigan. Much nicer way to go home!!  Hope you have a great time. BTW, I'm told that NE Montana has had a nice amount of rain the past week or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bennelli-banger
1 hour ago, Okhotnik said:

I’d check out the crazy mountains by Big Timber and Boulder creek area by Big Timber.  Since you’re in the area drive down to Cooke City in YNP

 

not hearing good reports from farmer friends in NW ND. Second year of drought

 

have fun that is a beautiful area of our country 

   many inches of rain up there in the past week...should help a bit....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bennelli-banger
24 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

Last year when we left Montana ( always pains me to say those words) my wife and I eschewed the interstates and took Rt 2 all the way to Michigan. Much nicer way to go home!!  Hope you have a great time. BTW, I'm told that NE Montana has had a nice amount of rain the past week or so.

 

thanx!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hettmoe

You may want to check out The Grizzly Bar in Roscoe...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Okhotnik

Good news on the ND rain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Big Al

If you like to fly fish you'll be in a good spot.  Go past Nye to the Woodbine campground.  It's right on the Stillwater River.  Walk up the canyon and start fishing.  Fish aren't big but lots of them.

Doing the Beartooth Hwy is a must.  The gateway to it is down at Red Lodge.  Come out of Yellowstone NP at Gardiner.  The round trip can be done in a day and is worth it.  

The Boulder valley out of Big Timber is a scenic drive.

Big Timber canyon in the Crazy Mountains gets you to a waterfall.

Private message me and we can meet for lunch.  I'm in the Big Timber area.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bennelli-banger
On June 5, 2018 at 11:46 PM, Big Al said:

If you like to fly fish you'll be in a good spot.  Go past Nye to the Woodbine campground.  It's right on the Stillwater River.  Walk up the canyon and start fishing.  Fish aren't big but lots of them.

Doing the Beartooth Hwy is a must.  The gateway to it is down at Red Lodge.  Come out of Yellowstone NP at Gardiner.  The round trip can be done in a day and is worth it.  

The Boulder valley out of Big Timber is a scenic drive.

Big Timber canyon in the Crazy Mountains gets you to a waterfall.

Private message me and we can meet for lunch.  I'm in the Big Timber area.  

    thanks so much!  will make every attempt...Mike Schneider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bennelli-banger

      just made a motel reservation for Columbus, MT...the girl at the motel told me that a spinner or little spoon could very well catch a trout in either the Yellowstone or the Stillwater...anybody know if worms are legal?  Would a fly and a casting bubble make some sense for a non-fly fisherman?  Fun just to contemplate!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MTPipeliner

If you have the time, there are some neat things to see around Medora, and eastern MT.  Makoshika state park in Glendive is pretty cool if your interested in dinosaurs and badlands type country.  Medora has some nice hiking trails, the drive through Teddy Roosevelt park can be nice if you catch the elk and buffalo out, and the Chateau de Mores is pretty cool and gives you a glimpse into what the wealthy lived like in the early days of settling the west.  The Medora musical is also pretty good, and the last time I had it the pitchfork fondue steak dinner was really good.  

 

I don't have my fishing regs handy, but they are on the TWO website so you can look up which ever waters you're considering fishing.  

 

As to the rain, yes we've had quite a bit lately, we haven't even had to water the lawn yet this summer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Okhotnik
On 6/10/2018 at 4:04 PM, bennelli-banger said:

      just made a motel reservation for Columbus, MT...the girl at the motel told me that a spinner or little spoon could very well catch a trout in either the Yellowstone or the Stillwater...anybody know if worms are legal?  Would a fly and a casting bubble make some sense for a non-fly fisherman?  Fun just to contemplate!!!

I fly fish Montana quite a bit.

 

i would pick up some little Cleo spoons in 1/8 oz switch out hooks to single hooks and pinch barbs.  Works better than fly with a bubble on rivers imo

 

go 4 lb test

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mikev

A little further west of Stillwater Co. on Rt 2. is Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park. It was built by the CCC in the late 30s. My father spent the Summer of 1939 there building the road up the mountain so it is a special place for me. Very interesting cavern tour and display and info about the CCC. It also has a nice camp ground. The Jefferson River is across the road and I have seen several folks fishing it. I never have but it looks like good water. A few miles west of the park on Rt.2 in LaHood is a nice local steak house and watering hole. At least it was there the last several years. The behind it is where the CCC camp was located.

This area is a nice break from the crowds of Ystone and surrounding area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×