FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Chukarman

Willys project coming along - almost done!

Chukarman

OK. Some time ago I posted a bit about my 1947 Willys Jeep project. I am nearly the finish line now and hope to be able to use it this upcoming season.

Some photos...

JEEP1_3-19-16.JPG

Willys_grile_3-16.JPG

shorebird

Can't wait to see it Mike. That will be a lot of fun to drive around the desert in.

RookieEP

Don’t be a tease show more

Greg Hartman

Very cool, Mike! 

It seems like there would be a VAST market today for such a vehicle (which I assume is functionally similar to the basic WWII Jeep).  Light, durable, cheap, dead-stone simple, tows like a rollerskate - will take two men with their dogs and other stuff pretty much anywhere a rational person would ever want to go in any weather.  Take the top off and enjoy the sun and wind on a nice day.  At the end of the day, just hose it down, inside and out and you're good to go again.

Yeah, you're not going anywhere fast or with great comfort, but I'm talking about this as an inexpensive utility/bad weather/dirty work/shooting brake vehicle which would be an adjunct to the modern quiet, safe, efficient, comfortable, transportation appliance vehicle that everyone (including me) seems to have these days.

I'm no mechanic, so I can't fix-up an old one like yours, but I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat.

I guess the damned lawyers :)  have ruined it all again, because you could never make one of those spartan Jeeps meet modern safety standards.  Oh well.

Dave in Maine

Actually, the side-by-side ATVs are kinda filling that niche, Brad.  A couple summers ago, I came across a restored 1913 Model T* parked near my home in Portland and had the time to really look it over closely.  The things which struck me was not only how dirt-simple it was but also how it was about the same size, inside and out, as a generic side-by-side ATV.  The big distinctions are that the ATV (1) has rollover protection and (2) is likely not street-legal, depending on your state.

There just aren't that many Willys still out there - they've either been run into the ground, restored, or scrapped.  The ones left are probably suspect as subjects for restoration - they're 60 or more years old.  A friend in high-school had one he spent a lot of time our junior and senior years rebuilding, only to have it throw a rod through the side of the engine about 50 miles into using it.  And that was in 77. 

BTW, the Willys is the direct successor to the WWII jeep, "CJ" meaning "Civilian jeep".  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_CJ

--- ---

*  The early Model T's had their data plate on the dash with the serial number easily readable.  There's at least one website coordinating serial numbers to manufacture dates.

Cooter Brown
52 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

It seems like there would be a VAST market today for such a vehicle (which I assume is functionally similar to the basic WWII Jeep).  Light, durable, cheap, dead-stone simple, tows like a rollerskate - will take two men with their dogs and other stuff pretty much anywhere a rational person would ever want to go in any weather.  Take the top off and enjoy the sun and wind on a nice day.  At the end of the day, just hose it down, inside and out and you're good to go again.

Yeah, you're not going anywhere fast or with great comfort, but I'm talking about this as an inexpensive utility/bad weather/dirty work/shooting brake vehicle which would be an adjunct to the modern quiet, safe, efficient, comfortable, transportation appliance vehicle that everyone (including me) seems to have these days.

I'm no mechanic, so I can't fix-up an old one like yours, but I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat.

I guess the damned lawyers :)  have ruined it all again, because you could never make one of those spartan Jeeps meet modern safety standards.  Oh well.

Mahindra, who's been making Jeeps under contract for a long time, is offering precisely what you're talking about.

It's essentially a Willys.

And apparently made in Michigan.

Note that it's not street legal.

https://www.roxoroffroad.com/roxor-offroad-vehicles

Greg Hartman
12 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

Note that it's not street legal.

That's the problem...

Cooter Brown
9 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

That's the problem...

Yep.

The '79 LandCruiser FJ40 I had wouldn't be street legal if it were made today

Rockdoc

Nice work Mike. A college roommate of mine had an old army surplus war-time Jeep that he'd prowl the southern Illinois woods with. That little 4-banger in his was one tough engine!

Steve

Skybuster

Darned if that engine isn't a twin to the one in my (former) 1951 CJ3A Willys. Yours is in top condition.

Tim Frazier

Can I vent and be honest...I HATE YOU...now I feel better.

Jealous does not begin to express how just those few photos make me feel!  Ha! 

Please, as many photos as you can post and as many stories as you can write.  Can I say SWEET!!!

p.s.  thank you for keeping the flat head 4.  You are my hero ;-)

idcut

What a great project and will serve you well, I'm sure!

A cousin had either a 47 or 48 that was given to him by his grandfather. It was a sweet little rig that we spent a bunch of time in as our hunting rig. He and my older brother, who were the same age and best friends of course sat in the front seats, I being 4 years younger was relegated to the back. He sold it to a local who completely trashed it.

My dad still has a 62 Willys station wagon that we would use when the snow got deep, due to having a winch, which saw lots of use! It still runs fine but could handle some refurbishment. Not my dad's jeep but about the same color. 

Image result for 62 willys jeep station wagon

25/06

13 hours ago, Chukarman said:

OK. Some time ago I posted a bit about my 1947 Willys Jeep project. I am nearly the finish line now and hope to be able to use it this upcoming season.

Some photos...

JEEP1_3-19-16.JPG

Willys_grile_3-16.JPG

Wow, Kinda cool to see that level of detail on a 40's Willy's Jeep instead of 40's Willy's coupe.  This is they type of detail that everyone inspires to when fixing up old vehicles but RARELY even come close.

Are the braided lines for the oil filter what they used in original or are they an improvement?

Factory style hose clamps and new rubber everywhere I can see are neat....

Does not get anymore classic than that grill, headlights and turn signals... I bet your grill stamping is straighter and cleaner than any that hit a showroom floor in 47'

Dogwood

drool

Chukarman

Thanks for the kind words. I probably obsessed on detailing the engine compartment... maybe the entire vehicle! The rebuilt engine starts instantly and purrs

The braided stainless line was added - factory was a rubber hose.