• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
ARKBRDHUNTER

Pole Saw Advice

ARKBRDHUNTER

Fathers Day and Birthday fall very close together and I get the 'What do you want questions". I am thinking pole saw for pruning tree limbs around the yard ( live in the woods) and around my old barn. 

Do any of you have any experience with the electric ones? What are the pros and cons versus gas operated pole saws? 

Thanks

MUSTANGER7

I bought a battery powered one off Amazon for $160, its a Greenworks 8ft model. I use it for light trimming around the yard most of the time. I have cut some limbs up to about five inches with no problems, the battery lasts for quite awhile, and has allowed me to always get what I needed done. It would not to well for commercial use, but for around the house its great. I know one guy who has a gas powered one and with my bad shoulders I would not be able to use it, mine is light enough for this old guy to use. Its more than paid for itself if I had paid someone to do the same work, and its there when I need it.

Brad Eden

If considering a regular one...I have an older Fiskar pole saw that I use for high limbs, especially if setting up a treestand...to clear shooting lanes. It's OK and also has a lopper built in that is employed with a rope. I never use the lopper, and the rope is always in the way and flopping around. I should just remove the rope. What I plan to buy eventually is a Hooyman retractable pole saw. These are lighter more compact and popular with the deer hunting crowd who use treestands. I personally don't use one enough to warrant an electric or powered pole saw.

Samuel Hoggson

We have the larger Stihl gas unit.  Looked at the Husqvarna equivalent, but it was lighter at rear.  Made it slower/less neutral in balance.......about like a tubed K-80.

Whatever type you select, a proper, ergonomic harness that helps with support is worth every penny.  Took me less than 2 minutes to decide never to operate it without safety helmet with full face screen.  Chips rain down into your eyes - much worse than with a chain/brush saw.      

Treerooster

I've used a pole saw for about 40 years...but mine were all arm powered. :)

Kept a sharp blade on it and NO pruner attached...to much weight and bulk added. Works pretty good really. Used closet rod or hand rail for the poles. Anywhere from 10 ft to 16 ft poles. My pole pruners were always on separate poles.

On the older pole saw heads there is a hole with a spring by it. That's  to hold a paint brush. When I started trimming trees professionally back in the mid 70's we had to paint every cut the size of a quarter or larger. What a PITA. Now we don't even paint cuts at all, not recommended.

Smiller

Weight and balance are the keys.

I've had a Jameson insulated extendable pole for years. It accepts a saw or pruner. We have Stihl power poles at work but no one uses them because of weight. The old standby is a wood pole, Marvin head, and a sharp ,ARS, polesaw  blade.

WPG Gizmo

We use pole saws a lot at work we have 2 gas powered units both Stihl for the most part they do the job they are designed for but they are unwieldy and take up a lot of space.  For around the house I have a collapsible Fiskars  it is 7 foot and extends out to 16 foot and it works great.  If I was cutting a lot of trees every day I would go powered but for normal household trimming you cant beat a handsaw. 

Craig Doherty

Gas powered Echo -- heavy but a real beast when it comes to getting work done.  Traditional hand powered one works fine for small jobs.

polecat

I will be getting a Oregon ps250 A4 this month

Jazz4Brazo

So what's the proper LOP, # of teeth, tooth size, HP🤔should we start a poll 🤗😟😮😀

D. Case

My dad and I share a Stihl and it works great, wish we'd bought it years ago. I second the helmet and face shield.

Yukon1

I have a manual saw with pruner and I just picked up a Ryobi One Plus pole saw. I've only used the Ryobi for one small job so far so too soon to tell how well I'll like it.

However, I was surprised at how well it cut for a cordless electric and I was pleased with how long the battery lasted. The down side is that it's only nine feet long.  I still use the manual saw for anything longer.

The reason I went with the One Plus was because I already have their weed whacker (which I've been really impressed with)  and it takes the same battery and charger. 

ARKBRDHUNTER

Since it would be for limited use I went with the Lynxx battery driven one from Harbor Freight. Bought an extra battery but worked for about two hours and didn't use the one up so probably wasted that. It only extends 9 feet but light enough that I can use it off a ladder. So far really impressed with how well it cuts and how easy it is to handle. This was one half of what the other 40V pole saws were as well as the gas powered ones. Temps are in the mid to upper 90's here now with the humidity that comes with it in the south so don't see me wearing it out anytime soon. 

Ray Gubernat

I bought myself an Oregon electric with the 4 Ah battery.  It was NOT cheap. 

That SOB is AWESOME.  It will run and cut for two hours on one battery charge.  I am tired and need to quit before it does, more often than not. 

I have used it to cut limbs up to 3" in diameter and a couple of 4" trees with no problem at all.  I like the way it handles(good balance) and I REALLY like the fact that I can do most all of what I need to do...from the ground.  I have drainage ditches both around and through mu property.  They are about 8' deep.  To cut woody growth, I used to climb down an cut the woody stuff with either a loper or my gas hedge trimmer.  That gets to be a PIA climbing down and up, especially when it is wet and slippery.  I can use the pole saw to cut a lot of the woody stuff without having to get down in the ditch.  I like that.

RayG

dogrunner

I got this one when an old guy died. It is 12’ long and works great on limbs that aren’t too big. 

84ABB105-33FB-48B0-854C-D32D9B1FC1D8.jpeg