• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
martyg

Durango

martyg

A number of UJ members were looking at CO vacas and I stressed that SW CO would be a bust this summer. Here we go...

416_1.jpg

416_2.jpg

416_3.jpg

416_4.jpg

416_5.jpg

416_6.jpg

416_7.jpg

Cooter Brown

I was thinking about you the other day--good to hear from you.

That first picture is kinda scary.  That's some highly skilled flying!

Kansas Big Dog

Damn, that doesn't look good. Hope everyone takes care and stays safe. 

Jazz4Brazo

Wow...always scary to see a wall of flames like that...hard to imagine the devastation that can reap in seconds.

Stay safe to all.

upstate

Stay safe. That 5th pic is scary. That is one hot fire. 

martyg

We were up on the ridge behind the house tonight watching the 416 Fire just race up the other side of the valley. Even from maybe 6 miles away the flames looked huge. Another fire  that is now 40 acres in size just erupted at 1530 about 20 miles west of town.

martyg

The photo de jure.

416_8.jpg

dogrunner

Surprised that plane has its landing gear down. 

NVChukarChaser

If you drop retardant too fast it creates a mist which is less efficient. You want retardant to come down like rain to properly coat everything. Too fast and you get a mist and only coat one side of the vegetation. I have been close to VLAT drops and those pilots have nerves of steel. 

jeff88

Have vacationed up that way a couple of times in the Durango/Silverton area staying between the two near Purgatory.  These photos are really disturbing.  Hope you get rain really soon.  

Jakeismydog2

I was working at a camp (teaching kids to fly fish) back in 2002 when they missionary ridge fire started. It was amazing/scary/awe inspiring/terrible all at the same time. Those photos bring back some memories.

martyg
8 hours ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

I was working at a camp (teaching kids to fly fish) back in 2002 when they missionary ridge fire started. It was amazing/scary/awe inspiring/terrible all at the same time. Those photos bring back some memories.

This could easily be on the same scale. It is moving North and West. Still on the West side of 550. No structures lost. Lives intact. 17,000+ acres last night. They've established fire lines at Purgatory - which is 7 miles from the north most point of the fire now. It looks like, without wet weather and there is none - it is their next chance to stop the fire.

All national forests in SW CO will be on a Level III closure as of tomorrow - no traffic, no camping, no entry whatsoever.

apachecadillac

Not surprised the nat'l forest has been closed.  On June 1 the Santa Fe National Forest closed--as well as the parks and national monuments inside its boundaries.  The rest of New Mexico is at Level II-- and the state trust lands, etc., are under similar restrictions.  It is dry, and isn't going to get better until the rains arrive later in the summer. 

Good luck with it.  And, BTW those are awesome pictures (in the original meaning of the word, as in, 'inspiring awe').

Dave Quindt

Here"s what it looks like fighting that fire from above: