Up North

Heading West tomorrow!

quailguy

So far as I can find out Montana is not a huge destination, not in the top 10 anyway. The in migration to my home state of Texas has been unbelievable, number one by far. Since we were more or less forced to move to PA by family issues, we DID get a real bump out of increased demand for houses in our area. It wouldn't help much if we'd stayed in Texas.

Between 2014 and 2017 30, 000 people moved into the relatively small spot between our old county line and San Antonio, it was, for a while the fastest growing area in the US. Now THAT causes problems. 

So far as Montana, most of the in migration was from neighboring states:

A lot of migrants in Western states move to other Western states, and Montana is a prime example. The population born in California, Washington and Oregon has doubled since 1980.  NYT.

idcut

Actually Wyrhair, I have thought about that and realize in this particular area, that would be the case, but further south where I grew up, we have some acreage, where I could build for much less, taxes are much less, etc. So when I do retire in the next 12-18 months, if I choose to, I could move home with a tidy little profit from the sale of my home here, even after building something that better suits my retirement needs, size wise! Plus it puts me squarely into an area where most of my hunting and fishing expeditions are more easily met!

mikev

OP, enjoy the new life. Beautiful place that you have there.

Up North

Well we are living in our camper inside the shed, and made a pile of the household belongings. Meanwhile the house is starting to take shape. Most the outside walls are up, and all of them should be up shortly. The rafters will be the holdup, and I hope all the rain we been getting will stop soon. 

39353EFA-999E-48A1-B710-19D39C6072B1.jpeg

5ECFA981-894B-4DB2-AE29-767A544DE531.jpeg

dogrunner

How are you getting power to this new home?

Brad Eden

Topic edited. Personal insults won't be tolerated. And New Members bashing Members for moving to their state isn't cool either. This isn't Facebook, please New Members, get with the climate of the Board. Thanks.

Locals hate it when out of staters move in. It's a thing, It doesn't matter what state you live in. Try being a Masshole and moving to Maine...

Congrats on the move. That is awesome. Keep us updated.

Now that we have turned 60, we have some plans to try different parts of the country to see if we want to settle somewhere other than the northeast. Time will tell if any of that gels.

bob-mt
On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:16 PM, Wyrhair said:

Iam sure you're very excited about your move to Montana. Problem is too many people are moving here and changing many parts of our State and not for the better. What happens to the Elk and Deer when people build more homes around the Lake? Often they call F& G saying "YOUR deer/Elk are eating all our 20K landscaping job you must do something !!"  After a few years they call themselves "Montanans" but they never really are because they either don't spend winters here or they don't need to make a living here. Building your home there in that beautiful place will only encourage others to do the same and more Wildlife habitat will be forever lost. We have a saying here "All hat ...no cows" so a bit of advise, don't wear a Cowboy hat unless you want everyone to know you're a Dude from someplace else. Welcome anyway !!

give me a break......bob

bob-mt
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:16 PM, Wyrhair said:

Big AL- Hope you get that Bull Permit someday ....I know locals who have put in for Special Bull Permits for many many years ! In my part of the State about 70% of the Real Estate Brokers have been here less that 3 years...they are like Roaches...they go where ever the "food" is. Somebody actually started a "Gated Community"here  ,I never thought I'd ever see that in MONTANA . 

you must not get out much......bob

Reeba

I always get a kick out of these locals vs. outsider debates.  I'm a lifelong local who lives in an area in which visitors outnumber locals most weekends and many choose to retire here.  The vast majority of locals here myself included welcome and encourage this.  Our economy depends on it.  The vast majority of the visitors are great people and if they're here frequently become good friends.

fourtrax57

Happy Trails!

Up North
2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

How are you getting power to this new home?

We already have power. Before we bought the land they had power cut underground  down the driveway. The well was put in a couple years ago, and a approved septic site was registered. Although the well is 575 ft. deep, and the septic needs to be pumped 300 ft. 

Up North

We are installing our security system today!

3AB90709-9383-43EF-BE7B-347864AD52EC.jpeg

henryrski

I'd reevaluate my choice of security systems if it it those 2 dawgs.:o

Everybody has to be someplace.

barna
20 minutes ago, Up North said:

We are installing our security system today!

3AB90709-9383-43EF-BE7B-347864AD52EC.jpeg

Bigfoot is burglarizing the neighborhood?xD

Barna

mccuha
13 hours ago, Reeba said:

I always get a kick out of these locals vs. outsider debates.  I'm a lifelong local who lives in an area in which visitors outnumber locals most weekends and many choose to retire here.  The vast majority of locals here myself included welcome and encourage this.  Our economy depends on it.  The vast majority of the visitors are great people and if they're here frequently become good friends.

I don’t have a problem with outsiders moving in. Around here the vast majority are retires that move to the lakes near us.  I haven’t had any problems with them crowding my woodcock spots. The outsiders do provide jobs that didn’t exist before they started moving here. The only problem I see is the cost of housing and land have increased. If you own a fair amount of land and have a home but If not it’s going to be tough.   A side note.  I don’t know why but a very large percentage of people are coming from Pennsylvania.  Is SC advertising up there or something