Up North

Heading West tomorrow!

Reeba

Lakes are the largest attraction here as well.  "Smart growth" ie- zoning, public land/ access help preserve the outdoor experiences for everyone.  Mosquitos and winter keep it from getting out of control here.

Up North

Well we finally got our rafters, and now we should have a roof by the weekend! Also got my drone today! 

0204BC31-0945-487D-B591-6ABA5C99B422.jpeg

1C64B7E3-D989-4B3D-89EB-D1D698E862D2.jpeg

BB33BA11-E846-49E9-8855-3401C41BAE27.jpeg

7AB7D7A7-5333-4AF7-9F9D-B583F360B0F9.jpeg

UplandHntr

The location is just breathtaking! How far are you from ‘civilization’?

dogrunner

I was expecting a nice Log house.  😁

Up North
3 hours ago, UplandHntr said:

The location is just breathtaking! How far are you from ‘civilization’?

Lol. We are still on the grid. We are only twenty minutes from Helena. It looks more remote because we are fortunate to have a bit of state around us.

Up North
57 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

I was expecting a nice Log house.  😁

Alot of the neighbors have log homes, and they are always doing repairs, and maintenance. We opted for maintenance free, well as little as possible. 😜

Brad Eden

I can change your User Name to Out West...seriously...but I don't promote that because it does throw past participation out of context etc.

Thanks for taking us along on your journey.

caleb
On 6/21/2018 at 8:10 PM, mccuha said:

I don’t have a problem with outsiders moving in. Around here the vast majority are retires that move to the lakes near us.  I haven’t had any problems with them crowding my woodcock spots. The outsiders do provide jobs that didn’t exist before they started moving here. 

In a place like rural MT, they should be able to get the newcomers to shoulder the property tax burden, too.  For example, Cook County in MN's Arrowhead has a pretty stark division between locals with modest houses and outsiders with mansions.  Cook County set up their property tax structure so that places assessed at less than $500k pay nothing or very nearly nothing, while almost all of the property tax burden is put on properties above a half million.  It's all the high dollar vacation homes paying for the schools, roads, and county services.

Up North, your new spot looks amazing.

Up North

42 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I can change your User Name to Out West...seriously...but I don't promote that because it does throw past participation out of context etc.

Thanks for taking us along on your journey.

Thanks for the offer, I will think about it. If I changed my name to Out West, I would need a new avatar supporting a cowboy hat ! 🤠 

paul frey
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:01 AM, Wyrhair said:

We all talk about how much the demand in housing makes our homes worth more.....but have you ever stopped to think that if you sell you have to buy something else to live in ?. Unless you're living in a trailer park , your "profit" is going right into another overpriced home.....you're not making a dime. Plus consider all the years of Taxes, insurance upkeep and maintenance you paid out.....knock another 25%+ off your "profit". In reality your home is not really an investment ......it is a place to enjoy and live your life ...that's it 

The ones who inherit your home when you die profit:D:D:D

mccuha
1 hour ago, caleb said:

In a place like rural MT, they should be able to get the newcomers to shoulder the property tax burden, too.  For example, Cook County in MN's Arrowhead has a pretty stark division between locals with modest houses and outsiders with mansions.  Cook County set up their property tax structure so that places assessed at less than $500k pay nothing or very nearly nothing, while almost all of the property tax burden is put on properties above a half million.  It's all the high dollar vacation homes paying for the schools, roads, and county services.

Up North, your new spot looks amazing.

Here in sc your property tax is based on the value of house. If you have more than one. Taxes are close to double on the properties that are not considered primary residence. I wish our state would do like some the others and do away with property tax and increase sells taxes. That way everyone will help with the tax burden. Renters don’t pay squat here. 

Remo
5 minutes ago, mccuha said:

Here in sc your property tax is based on the value of house. If you have more than one. Taxes are close to double on the properties that are not considered primary residence. I wish our state would do like some the others and do away with property tax and increase sells taxes. That way everyone will help with the tax burden. Renters don’t pay squat here. 

Wouldn't the renters share of PT be reflected in the rent they pay?

mccuha

Yes that’s included in the cost of rent. Didnt think about that. 

Reeba
On 7/11/2018 at 11:08 AM, mccuha said:

. I wish our state would do like some the others and do away with property tax and increase sells taxes. . 

That would not be helpful here in Wi.  Much of the recreational property has out of state ownership, so both the local and state funding is better with the property tax and as Caleb has pointed out much of the recreational property carries a high value.  Many of the folks with recreational properties joking tell me they paid for my kids K-12 schooling and I tell them yes and we appreciate it.

terrym
On 7/11/2018 at 12:39 AM, Up North said:

Well we finally got our rafters, and now we should have a roof by the weekend! Also got my drone today! 

0204BC31-0945-487D-B591-6ABA5C99B422.jpeg

1C64B7E3-D989-4B3D-89EB-D1D698E862D2.jpeg

BB33BA11-E846-49E9-8855-3401C41BAE27.jpeg

7AB7D7A7-5333-4AF7-9F9D-B583F360B0F9.jpeg

Wow. Looks like you scored yourself a slice of paradise. Congrats. As for locals welcoming you, my experience is that good people tend to get along fine. Enjoy.