2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Dave in Maine

Great article on dive bars of the U.P.

Dave in Maine

This was a front-page feature article in today's Detroit paper, about a father and son who wrote a book covering all the dive bars of the U.P., winding up showing how they are in many cases the glue that holds those small towns together.  

It's long.  Just the kind of read meant for a wet Sunday afternoon in June, the kind of article that can remind you why newspapers can be treasures.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/columnists/john-carlisle/2018/06/10/upper-peninsula-drinking-guide/670567002/

Mike Connally

Here’s one we found just north of Newberry. 

Pine Stump Junction. 

B0CC91FC-A8CF-4146-AF72-C68E7BF2B1D3.jpeg

29BEBDDD-8FC3-4118-B3EB-070E71AC58C0.jpeg

FF8F3DF1-12BF-4EF2-A639-DD8C12AA4485.jpeg

4A1C4B22-1594-4FA9-8754-FCBA4DE43F94.jpeg

oak stob

“Hooh...ice in the urinals?...sometimes dem boys are bad about forgettin’ to flush”....from a wise bird hunter’s question

Craig Conroy

Ed Zern once wrote about the ice in the urinals of the restroom in a bank in New York City, back in the day when there was an elderly man still working as a rest room attendant.  When he asked about it being a hard job keeping all that ice there, he replied "I don't put any ice in them at all.  It jest keeps accumulatin'." :)

Mike da Carpenter

Been to the Pine Stump many times.  Good food and atmosphere.  Best one I ever went to was the Tumble Inn (stumble out) in Eckerman, MI.  Sadly, it burned down quite a few years ago.  

Mike da Carpenter

Antlers, in Sault Ste Marie, is also a wonderful place.

Mike Connally
1 hour ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Been to the Pine Stump many times.  Good food and atmosphere.  Best one I ever went to was the Tumble Inn (stumble out) in Eckerman, MI.  Sadly, it burned down quite a few years ago.  

There was a Stumble Inn just south east of Newberry. We never visited that one. 

Mike da Carpenter
Just now, Mike Connally said:

There was a Stumble Inn just south east of Newberry. We never visited that one. 

Never made it to that one.  I used to have a place in Trout Lake, and would spend all my summers, Autumns and winters up there.  Didn’t make a ton of money as a builder right out of the Army, but what I did make allowed me to visit my place in the UP as often as I could which in hindsight just wasn’t enough.  If I could of made a living up there, I would never have come back down State.

mcgreg

Cut River Inn in Epoufette. I don't know if its in the Yooper book, but it has a darn good menu. Including fresh perch and whitefish. Mmm good!

Kansas Big Dog
4 hours ago, Craig Conroy said:

a rest room attendant. 

So, is this the proverbial "flushing spaniel"? xD

Sorry Brad, couldn't help myself.

Kansas Big Dog

I love outa the way bars. Well, I love a good bar from anywhere. But, there is a bar I frequent in MT. A rancher that I hunt on told me about it. It does not look like much from the out side, but inside it is....well....nice for a dive bar. The first time I went there it was pretty much empty except for a heavy set guy drinking at the end of the bar. The bar maid, a rather short but frisky woman, got me a beer and handed me a menu. I said I will have a something or other and the guy drinking down at the end of the bar spoke up and said, "you don't want that." Ok, so I chose again, and he said again, "you don't want that."  So, I turned to the man and said, what do I want. He said, "you want the porterhouse steak." So I turned to the bar maid and ordered the porterhouse medium rare. The guy at the end of the bar finished his drink and started around the bar to the kitchen. He was the cook. Oh, and he had a holstered 9mm glock .  The 26 oz. porterhouse was awesome, which I am honest about, even though the cook was carrying.

delahunter834

Heading that way in October.I'll see how many I can hit.

Don Steese
7 hours ago, Dave in Maine said:

This was a front-page feature article in today's Detroit paper, about a father and son who wrote a book covering all the dive bars of the U.P., winding up showing how they are in many cases the glue that holds those small towns together.  

It's long.  Just the kind of read meant for a wet Sunday afternoon in June, the kind of article that can remind you why newspapers can be treasures.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/columnists/john-carlisle/2018/06/10/upper-peninsula-drinking-guide/670567002/

That was a great story and I'm glad I'm not the only one who's still hooked on newspapers. Reading stuff on a computer just isn't the same. I've given up drinking and writing but I still dearly love local bars and newspapers. 

Cooter Brown

Is there any other kind of bar in the UP?

67diesel
7 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

Here’s one we found just north of Newberry. 

Pine Stump Junction. 

B0CC91FC-A8CF-4146-AF72-C68E7BF2B1D3.jpeg

29BEBDDD-8FC3-4118-B3EB-070E71AC58C0.jpeg

FF8F3DF1-12BF-4EF2-A639-DD8C12AA4485.jpeg

4A1C4B22-1594-4FA9-8754-FCBA4DE43F94.jpeg

Mike, I sure hope you had the pizza there, it is unbelievably good!!