2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
max2

Lanterns to Laptop's

max2

As I sit here on an afternoon read . So many different discussions . The cabin threads got me to thinking .  For me I am really glad to have grown up in a time of going to camp weather it be tent, camper or cabin and having to rough it.  A lot of us are of the same age group to have been there. Filling water jugs to take to camp. Sometimes at a spring pipe, sometimes the outside of a gas station. Getting to camp in the dark on a Friday night late after working all week  . Cool or cold star filled night. Get the fire  going.  ( One scenario ) 

Sleeping in the back of truck to go trout fishing  - coleman  lantern  going  until lights out & then to wake up stream side.  probably  get  a ticket if we tried that today. :D (here in NY )

I just would like to add this  ~ I am glad to have experienced these times  ~ Good times - 

oak stob

I recall, at 8-10 years of age, going to my uncles fish camp.

It was not at all isolated, Uncle Floyd parked his fishing car, a ‘52’ blue Cadillac, on the side of the road and nearly in the ditch, some 10 miles outside of town.

We walked across the blacktop, stepped over the guard rail and slid down the short bank to a small flat above the river.

Room only for a sleeping tent, an eating tent and an old freezer which held little stuff like life jackets, coleman lanterns and minnie buckets for the summer.

One chore of readying camp was shoveling mud out of that freezer, which was chained to a tree, deposited there from the spring floods.

Steps down to a dock, completed the facility.

We caught catfish and gar, crappie and the odd big drum, bass and sauger....while fishing treetops, casting below the dam, or on trot lines and willow lines.

Great memories.....great from the fishing, from family and friends, from lifting fog over slick water, from the smell of uncle Floyd’s pipe and great from falling to sleep with the sound of traffic 40’ away cutting thru the chirp of crickets.

That sound of traffic was no negative...because, I simply did not know any better than to assume that I was having a wonderful time.

Sometimes, too often, I think we accept too many limits and strictures to our having....a great time building great memories today.

I miss shoveling out that freezer.

Best...has no price tag.

Jacquidog

I think most of us on this group have similar memories. Otherwise we wouldn't be on this group to begin with.  My uncle Charlie had a camp in Woodville, and Uncle Eddie had a camp on Cold Stream Pond.  He would give us some 22 ammo and set up some ritz crackers and whoever shot the first ctracker got a quarter. Some fond memories.  

salmontogue

You  may want to read Gordon Macquarrie's short story "Man, Tired".  It fits in with this thread.  It also reminds me of driving to my lake house many years ago.

Perk

salmontogue
1 hour ago, Jacquidog said:

I think most of us on this group have similar memories. Otherwise we wouldn't be on this group to begin with.  My uncle Charlie had a camp in Woodville, and Uncle Eddie had a camp on Cold Stream Pond.  He would give us some 22 ammo and set up some ritz crackers and whoever shot the first ctracker got a quarter. Some fond memories.  

Both are nice areas to the west of me.  There are many real memories in this part of the world and more being made every day.  Let me tell you about the time.........

Perk

MUSTANGER7

Roger all of this, makes me think back on early experiences running a trap line in the woods north of West Point, NY, riding my bike to trout fish Black Rock Fish and Game Clubs creek, going to the Catskills with my dad learning to fly fish, really fortunate. Then moving to Florida at about the time I was allowed to hunt, walked my tail of looking for quail, dove etc, used to use my school lunch money to buy shotgun shells, back then you could buy them by the shell at a local hardware store. Going without lunch sure taught me fire discipline, its stayed with me my whole life. Used to camp out where we dove hunted, just a bunch of kids 15 to 17 with no adults and we were responsible, if we hadn't been our parents would have stopped the entire deal, they weren't worried about being our friends. Guilded times

Don Steese

Lots of such memories. We hunted and fished out of a tent and then a pop up camper and then built our first cabin, in the late 70's. We carried water in five gallon cans from a local spring until we sold the place a couple years ago. Slept in the bed of a pickup truck with just a tarp thrown over while salmon fishing in NY.  Good times all!! glad we did it!! 

gaberdeen

I’ve been fortunate to have shared camp the last few years with some great friends. All those friends have been made here on UJ. I hope to share some form of grouse camp for years to come.

max2

You guy's are making me feel like I was back in the day. This started for me yesterday while looking for a picture of my Volkswagen van (Type 2) after someone posted a pic of a vw window type 2 in another thread Trucks & cars thread.  I used to take a lot of pictures I guess with the old 35mm. as I was in the attic for over an hour  looking & enjoying.  Here is a scanned picture from 1978-79 I would guess ?  ~  Pulaski NY salmon river in Oct. for the Salmon run . Who remembers that show  :D  My type 2 & my buddy's GMC around the campfire. 

CCI06112018_0001.jpg

max2

Here's another  from the summer of 1983  fising in schoharie cty  NY  My first brand new  truck . back in the day when you ordered a truck and had to wait 6-10 wks for delivery  Picture it is hard to see but I backed in at night and got the truck stuck. Luckily a farmer was able to pull me out with his tractor. 

CCI06112018_0000.jpg

WPG Gizmo

The last time I went camping like that was with a couple of buddies and our dogs for opening weekend in VT we camped in one of our coverts Ted in his tent with Phoebe and Henry,  Pierre in his truck with Jazz and Me in my old Jeep with Gizmo.   We woke up to a bunch of dogs running through the camp chasing a bear and a group of truck hunters right behind them that was a great time sadly we have not done that since and all the dogs are gone now.

max2

That trip we had our girlfriends  and our dogs.  But back then that's how it always went.  Hippie dogs :D    I was born with a fishing pole in my hand I think.  I can remember when we lived in NYC going fishing in the long island sound with my dad.

mccuha

I still truck camp trout fishing.  Will leave home about noon, get there about 2:30. Fish till dark, drive to a gravel road next to one of the streams I fish and camp in the back of the truck at one of the pull offs. Lots of fun with it without a friend 

polecat
43 minutes ago, max2 said:

You guy's are making me feel like I was back in the day. This started for me yesterday while looking for a picture of my Volkswagen van (Type 2) after someone posted a pic of a vw window type 2 in another thread Trucks & cars thread.  I used to take a lot of pictures I guess with the old 35mm. as I was in the attic for over an hour  looking & enjoying.  Here is a scanned picture from 1978-79 I would guess ?  ~  Pulaski NY salmon river in Oct. for the Salmon run . Who remembers that show  :D  My type 2 & my buddy's GMC around the campfire. 

CCI06112018_0001.jpg

Had some great times on the Salmon river back in the day. Before some of the good spots were bought up. Use to sleep right next to the river in my Jeep Cherokee Chief after spending too long in the local bars telling the girls I was the Captain and I had a Grady White( I am still the Captain).We caught some  monster fish including a 14 pound brown on my flyrod(monofilament with a home made fly,Got pictures). I had a wild girlfriend with a Airdale/Sheperd mix, we had the dog by the river an nobody would come near us.Had lots of fishing leeway.Later my friends bought a 26 foot StarCraft kept on dock. Lots of fishing stories there.

mikev

Some of my best memories are of night fishing the Cuyahoga River near Welshfield, Ohio in the late 50s with my uncle. We had a spot just off the road where we would set up a camp of two shelter halves, a Coleman two mantle lantern, two folding stools and an old wool army blanket. Make a fire, and if it was a Friday, make grilled Wisconsin cheese sandwiches for dinner. Still one of my favorite meals.  I still have that lantern and whenever I hear that hissing sound I am back along that river enjoying the company of one of the best men that I ever knew.