FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
scottspec2

Birdvan Check in - Alaska is a cool place

scottspec2

Sorry I've been gone for a while folks, Alaska has kept me pretty busy ever since Watson and I got up here. My bar tending job up here is at a place called 49th State Brewing, and in my many years of restaurant work and management I've never seen a place so monstrously busy. It's also a pretty awesome place, so if you're in Anchorage this summer at all stop in! Just about every minute when I haven't been working has been spent either fishing, driving to go fishing, or studying all the regulations and areas where I can go fishing. I've been sort of successful. I found a fun little lake/pond with some camping by it with some rainbows in it that I used to shake off my fly casting rust. Watson and I have spent a couple of full day long adventures up and down the Kenai River, mostly casting for king salmon as most of the river where the rainbows are has been closed to protect spawning fish, and none of the sockeye have really showed up yet. We haven't caught any salmon, but warmer temps and some rain should raise the river levels and get a few more moving in. Man this is a cool place though. We've barely been up here, only seen a little bit so far, but it's pretty awesome. The wildlife and landscape is pretty incredible. If you've never been I can say it's as incredible as everyone says it is.

I've made a few upgrades to the van as well, made a new bed and re-did my main storage area in a cleaner and more efficient layout. I have to say the rest of June and looking forward to the sockeye run in July is pretty exciting, but the more I'm up here the more I feel like I'm really just preparing for the month of August. That is essentially when the main Coho salmon run is, and August 10th is when the upland bird seasons open up here. I might need to take some days off work. Below are some pics in the general order I took them over the last couple weeks during our travels. Enjoy!

20180531_082929Resized.jpg

20180526_170213Resized.jpg

20180531_101252Resized.jpg

20180530_180328Resized.jpg

20180530_142314Resized.jpg

DSC01607Resized.jpg

DSC01644Resized.jpg

20180519_111448Resized.jpg

DSC01662Resized.jpg

DSC01742Resized.jpg

DSC01760Resized.jpg

DSC01756Resized.jpg

DSC01754Resized.jpg

DSC01708Resized.jpg

DSC01686Resized.jpg

33792414_2015577768770833_7287894691914186752_n(1).jpg

33545840_218373102100455_5582849076912717824_n.jpg

20180607_152955Resized.jpg

bill

Got it made

Crazy Horse

That 4th pic is a great shot of Watson. Should be on a magazine cover.

If envy is a sin,... I'm guilty!

ccavacini

Livin' large.  Keep it up

Greg Hartman

Thanks for the update.  Looks like a very cool place.  Enjoy every precious minute!!  Also, please keep up the posts and pics.

Looks like I'm gonna be hitting the road myself this fall for the first time in years.  Was gonna trade the big MH in on a much smaller one after my wife passed, as one guy and two dogs don't need all that space, but I discovered that they wanted to simply rape me on that deal, so I'll keep the big MH and tow the old Jeep.  Am in the process of getting the MH all ready for the road.

This year, I'm hoping to hit MT and probably ND, SD and the NE Sandhills, as my first effort of getting back to living on the road.  Maybe next fall I'll have the guts to give AK a try for ptarmigan and ruffs.

ruff hunter

Hey dude those are some great pictures of some great looking scenery and one beautiful dog. You should frame a couple of those of the dog..... glad you’re having a great time and keep posting your adventures and pictures!!!!!

fourtrax57

Scott....,

If you get used to it there.................... You may never come back.

scottspec2
3 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Thanks for the update.  Looks like a very cool place.  Enjoy every precious minute!!  Also, please keep up the posts and pics.

Looks like I'm gonna be hitting the road myself this fall for the first time in years.  Was gonna trade the big MH in on a much smaller one after my wife passed, as one guy and two dogs don't need all that space, but I discovered that they wanted to simply rape on that deal, so I'll keep the big MH and tow the old Jeep.  Am in the process of getting the MH all ready for the road.

This year, I'm hoping to hit MT and probably ND, SD and the NE Sandhills, as my first effort of getting back to living on the road.  Maybe next fall I'll have the guts to give AK a try for ptarmigan and ruffs.

Heck Yea Greg! If you Do, make the drive up through Washington, where you go strait north all the way through BC and the Yukon. It's incredible, and there's tons of areas to camp a rig for the night along the way as well.

scottspec2
7 minutes ago, fourtrax57 said:

Scott....,

Funny you should mention it...as that process might already be in progress. I'm casually research I g if I can feasable spend May-November up here, and then heading south to the 48 between then. I have friends who live up here, 1 just naught a house and the other is shopping for one, both have already said I could drop a camper in the driveway.

So yea, could definitely happen.

aje4

I’m so jealous!  You are living the dream....keep the updates coming!

MNice
2 hours ago, fourtrax57 said:

Scott....,

...Or return to Cook County.

paul frey

First off.  Beautiful dog that Watson is.  Second, if you can make a go of Alaska, do it.  I was there is 1995 with my wife.  We both really enjoyed it although I had a bad case of Lymes disease while I was there (Caught it at home).  But my wife would not live there year round.

Dick Sellers

Alaska is one of those places that either grows on you quickly, or you decide -"been there ; done that" and retreat to home ground.  Usually a winter or 2 will be enough to come to a decision.  Now if you skip the winter, that's kind of cheating - i.e. cutting out some of the whole Alaska experience.  Anyway, enjoy your time up there.

scottspec2
6 hours ago, Dick Sellers said:

Alaska is one of those places that either grows on you quickly, or you decide -"been there ; done that" and retreat to home ground.  Usually a winter or 2 will be enough to come to a decision.  Now if you skip the winter, that's kind of cheating - i.e. cutting out some of the whole Alaska experience.  Anyway, enjoy your time up there.

I prefer to think of it as a clever arrangement of the calender.

Don Steese

We had lunch at your bar last year. Cool place with good food. The beer was excellent too ( according to my wife and friends). Great photos!!