FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Locher

Owens Dog Boxes

Locher

curious if anyone is using an Owens aluminum dog box?  Do they stay cool for the dogs in the summer?  Any thoughts good or bad could be pm'd.

Looking for something fairly lightweight so a lot of the boxes out there are too heavy for 1 person to lift.

Thanks

Kansas Bound

I have a little that I have used in the past. They are light and a decent box.

Please note if you use them in an SUV the rattling will drive you insane.

GraceinVA
12 minutes ago, Kansas Bound said:

Please note if you use them in an SUV the rattling will drive you insane.

He drives a Toyota Prius and I doubt he will be able to hear the rattling over the Justin Beiber blaring...

bmeador

I have a 3 hole that fits in the inside the fender wells of my Tundra. I have a shell on the truck. I switch over to wire crates in a Suburban in the summer.  Mine is insulated and I do love it, but just don't use it in summer.  The quality is A1 in my book.  I have another 2 hole (not Owens)  and it doesn't come close in quality.  I can get the Owens out of the Tundra and into a shed by myself.

Locher
9 minutes ago, GraceinVA said:

He drives a Toyota Prius and I doubt he will be able to hear the rattling over the Justin Beiber blaring...

kids.......go back to your afternoon nap now.....the adults are trying to have a grown up conversation.

Locher
3 minutes ago, bmeador said:

I have a 3 hole that fits in the inside the fender wells of my Tundra. I have a shell on the truck. I switch over to wire crates in a Suburban in the summer.  Mine is insulated and I do love it, but just don't use it in summer.  The quality is A1 in my book.  I have another 2 hole and it doesn't come close in quality.  I can get the Owens out of the Tundra and into a shed by myself.

thanks.  I got a new truck and really don't want another cap (which is what I've done for the past 18 years).  I'm considering a solid, folding tonneau and keeping the box underneath (the Owens should fit under the cover).  I would open the cover when hauling dogs. 

I like the idea of the metal box to lock it in the bed and to lock the kennel doors to secure the dogs.

Checo

I have had an Owens 2 hole aluminum dog box (48” x 48”, 20” tall with no storage) for 6 years now. Can fit 2 dogs to a side. It has full length side vents and 2 smaller vents in the back, plus the front doors. Comes with the thin blue corrugated insulation on the inside. No longer there as dogs ripped it apart so I took it out. I installed a thick rubber horse mat on the floor.

It is cool in the summer if you are smart about it. Parking in the shade and maybe having fans going when warm. Light enough to move yourself as well. Great dog box, IMO.

airmedic1

I think the Owens I had was 36" x 48" x 20" and it came with the blue plastic corrugated insulation. Those boxes may be good for areas with warm areas but they aren't worth a damn when it is cold. I had mine filled with prairie hay and two adult shorthairs.  The outside temp was about 10* above zero and the warmest they could get the inside of the box was 32*.  I traded it the next day for a box with insulation and top storage. It warms up so fast steam will roll out even when it's down around 0*.

The good thing about the Owens box, I could load it by myself.  The one I have now not so much so I either get help or use a hoist but I have never looked back on that purchase. 

And by the way, I got kicked out of the motel I was staying in when I tried to sneek the dogs in and we all slept in the cab of the truck that night.  I think they slept better than I did but they were a hell of a lot warmer in the cab than that Owens box.

AM

Locher
12 hours ago, airmedic1 said:

Those boxes may be good for areas with warm areas but they aren't worth a damn when it is cold.

Thanks.  That's good to know.  I definitely get winter where I live.  I have another box I'm looking at, in addition to the Owens and it has 3/4" of real insulation instead of the blue plastic stuff.  My only issue with this other box is the weight.  Plus I like the slam latches that the Owens box uses.

Buddy Knox

I just saw this thread.  I have an Owens two-door, four-dog, box with top storage.  It sits in the back of my truck for a lot of the year.

It took about 15 minutes for my dogs to destroy the blue plastic sheets that come with the box.  I tried a couple of other solutions, but none were satisfactory.  in the end I had four aluminum panels cut to fit the two outside walls and the back walls.  Then I sandwiched 3/4 of foam insulation and secured the two pieces of aluminum with bolts and acorn nuts.  It works great now.   I put an indestructable rubber stall mat (found it at Home Depot) on the floor.   In the cold winter months I put grass hay in the bottom and the dogs nest down in there and are snug and warm down to about 15-20 degrees.  If I have two dogs on each side they can go colder than that and stay safe and warm.