• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
gunsrus

Generac whole house generator

gunsrus

Headed to Maine for a couple days to meet Generac . I'm having a Generac 22k installed . We lost power last November for about a week and that scared the crap out of me . Good it wasn't the middle of the winter , ice storms are prevalent in this part of the country . The "Camp" has all tongue and grove wood throughout and burst pipes would be a disaster .

Generac offers a 10 year warranty if you sign up in June so that was the push I needed . 

I think I know where I will have them set it up about 20' from the house and 15' from the 1000 gallon underground propane tank . 

Gary "Giz" has been helpful and I'm pretty sure we have everything covered but Is there anything I am forgetting or advice before I meet these guys ?

Thanks in advance.

Al

Brad Eden

"Maine Camp" with an underground propane tank...that's a new one.O.o B|

We may do the same thing at our "Camp Home". Portable Generac 7500 works great since I'm home most all the time. But we plan to do more travel in winter so the auto Gen is where we might go.

Ive done some research and know that some units come with a heating element of some kind to ensure launch during bitterly cold weather. My friend Scott is working in NH and his house is empty a lot of the time in winter so opted for that type auto whole house Generator/Generac at his Maine home. Some don't think its necessary, even in Maine but a good idea I think. 

gunsrus

Thanks , I'll ask about the heating element.

WPG Gizmo

Let me tell you we used to lose power all the time during big storms sometimes for days on end longest was 11 days and we are not rural.  Since we put in the Generator 3 years ago we have only had to use it once ran for about 23 hours.  10K runs the whole house except the washer dryer, stove/oven and hot tub it is amazing how much lights, heat and hot water makes you feel when everyone else is dark.

The dirty little secret they dont tell you is that if you dont have propane already in the house for cooking or heating your going to pay crazy prices for it when I filled the tanks Propane was selling locally for $1.35 a gal but because we dont run anything off propane except the Generator we paid $5 a gal pretty big hit when your filling up 250 gals.  The reason being we dont use enough propane to get the lower price.

Dogwood

I had one installed and no I don't think there's anything else you need to consider.  Pricey but the peace of mind will have real value.  Super easy to change the oil yourself  btw.  Ironically and typically we haven't lost power once since the install 3 years ago.  That's ok, I still smile everytime I hear it fire up for 15 minutes every Monday at 8 sharp.

Samuel Hoggson

Remember to do the maintenance oil, etc.  Concrete pad as base.  Keep grass/shrubs away.  Check at intervals for nests, etc under the cover.   

Greg Hartman

You gotta spend money on a lot of stuff in your life.  Most of it doesn't feel very good.  The money I spent on a whole house system was some of the best money I have ever spent.  Makes me smile each time I think about it.

We live up on a mountain, literally at the dead end of an ancient, rickety power grid that only serves a handful of people.  Our power goes out all the time - and when it does, we are the very last to have it restored (they fix the populated areas down in the valley first, before bothering with a half-dozen hillbillies, which I fully understand).  So, when it goes out, it is often out for a good while - I think 12 days was the record.  I used to have a system similar to Brad's, but my paralyzed wife really needed something better than that when she was living; and I needed something automatic, so I didn't have to rush home from work to set up the gas genney, etc - and then take it down and reconnect to line power.  I can run the well pump, the electric range, the A/C and the washer/dryer, plus the regular little stuff, all at the same time.

Now that my wife is gone, this system may be a luxury for a single guy, but I love it.  5,000 gallons of propane will allow the thing to run at full blast for a full tow weeks and you have to really work at electric consumption to make it run that hard.  I have it set up out in the woods far enough away from the house to avoid risk of fire, etc.

Ice Day - 12-16-07 - Generator.jpg

It's about 15 years old now and works like a top.  It "exercises" once per week automatically.  Yeah, like any piece of power equipment, it needs some maintenance, oil changes, a new battery every several years, keeping the bees and spiders and such out of the intake, etc; but it's no big deal.  Highly recommended.

studdog

We have a 70  KW Generac whole home generator.  Runs the entire 400 amp service.   Great unit.  In our climate (cold) we needed the cold weather kit.  Ours is a V12 I think and it really sucks propane when running.  The electrician who installed it said it requires your propane tank stay above 50% fill too maintain the correct pressure level.  Ours runs great and it's nice to have the entire house running.

sprocket

Ask about the self testing cycle and if there is remote monitoring available so you know when it's running...

zhtrainer

Generac sells the Guardian and Synergy models. I just bought the Synergy 20,000 unit because it has the G-Flex Technology. It can run at slower speeds when electrical demand is low. You save on propane costs and they are quieter. From what I could gather the Guardian models run at a constant 3600 rpm.

You might also want to consider the GenPad, made especially for your generator to sit on. Cost is $299.

WPG Gizmo

One last thing to remember Al is in the winter clear a path to it and keep the snow from building up around the air vents.  The generator people will go over everything there is to know about the unit your getting listen to what they say and ask questions if your not sure ;)

NHBirddogger

It's noisy, keep it away from your bedroom window.  Synthetic oil.

Cheesy

Bought a house a few years ago with a 20kw generac. We have a lot of ice storms. I’ve been without power for 9 days before. Was glad to have it. 

After moving in I changed some propane lines around and hooked up a propane stove, never reconnected generator propane line because other projects took precedence. 

Fast forward 2 years, found a different property we liked better. Put house up for sale, hurriedly reconnected propane to generac. About 5 seconds of cranking and it fires up powering the house. 

In that two years we never once had a power flicker, last house a mile off a public road back in the hills. Guess it’s better to have and not need than the other way around. 

gunsrus

Met with Generac people today . Very informative . 22,000 vs liquid cooled 27,000 . Both with 10 year warranty parts and labor .

22,000 avg 20 years , 2 cylinder

27,000 maybe 30 years 4 cylinder

Both need yearly service

27,000 much quieter 

27,000 is $6000 more and I don't think it's necessary for the amount of time the unit will actually run . 

I'll leave the decision up to my daughter 

kadehippy

Put one in last summer and don't know why i waited so long.  Living in MI I have t.he cold weather kit.  Our local elec. co. notifies us by text message when the power goes out as we spend winters in AZ...  our main concern is the sump pump