FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Brad Eden

SUMMERTIME

Brad Eden

"I wonder what it would be like to live in a world where it was always June." - L.M. Montgomery

IMG_0727.JPG

Although Summer doesn't officially start for another week on June 21 in the northern hemisphere, it's sprung in mid-Maine. Garden is in and growing. It's time to put the AC units in upstairs bedroom windows this weekend. Bugs are starting to wane...a little. There is a Grouse hen with chicks just out back, and snapping turtles are emerging from the marsh and laying eggs out along the edge of the town dirt road. (I might put some chicken wire around a nest, because the coons are relentless in digging them up.)

Deck canopy, umbrella, furniture, grill and assorted potted flowers and hanging baskets all set up at our rather humble abode. Cold Coronas and a variety of Belgian White Ales on ice. The girls are due to arrive with their dogs (sans husband and boyfriend) in a couple weeks for a lengthy vacation stay. 

Almost makes me forget the misery of last winter, almost, but not quite...

How is summer panning out for all of you so far?

ruff hunter

Brad , summer isn’t here yet but it’s been hot since May 1st lol..... but yes the warm weather is amazing and the older I get the more I love it 😍!!!!!...... hey and I want you to know that you have a beautiful place...... enjoy the summer because the days will be getting shorter soon enough.....

gaberdeen

Still on the cooler side here in NJ. Garden is in but my heat loving plants are not liking it. May not get any watermelons this year. However trout fishing remains good in the rivers. 51degress here this morning. I actually kinda like it,

Brad Eden

To put things in perspective...

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

Gulp....

dogrunner

It’s been wet and cool in my area. Finally getting nice, it’s about time. 

Brad Eden

For full transparency...I rushed my raised bed garden because we were away over Memorial Day...got back to nice heat and a thriving garden...then got hit with several days of cold temps, down in low 40's at night. Everything did OK except for my cucumber transplants. Most withered....and I replanted.

LabHunter

For us, the warmer months first start with the spawning run of striped bass up the Chesapeake.  Warmth came slowly this year.  When striper season opened in mid-April, water temperatures were still around 40 degrees and I dragged bucktails over a lot of inactive fish.  The one highlight was snagging a sturgeon right here in the mid-Chesapeake.  We have a few of these prehistoric fish around but I had never heard of one in the bay proper.  Fishing was slow during our trophy season but it has been slowly warming up since then.  Blue crabs showed up in our creeks 2 or 3 weeks ago despite the wetter than normal weather we've been experiencing.  Once the water temperatures get a few degrees warmer the white perch will be schooled up around shoreline structure all over the creeks and piers with good lights will attract schoolie stripers at night.  We made one attempt at fishing for snakeheads but were foiled by high water.  I'm sure we'll make another attempt or two on these purportedly tasty invaders.  On the bird hunting front, the quail should be calling more consistently now and I'll be doing a trip or two to see where there are birds and where there aren't so that I can keep the pup in birds as much as possible come fall.  This is a great time of year here near the bay!

Lars
4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Cold Coronas 

How is summer panning out for all of you so far?

Corona season started for me about 3 weeks ago.  Season was going good but then some unexpected bills and I hurt my back. That's my karma working but its still early in the season and I have some things to look forward to. 

Oh yes the weathers been great! 

BlacknTan

I can't say I look forward to summer... Truth be told, I dread the three H's. I've gotten to the point where I hate to sweat at all, and I generally have a lot of work to do, so I'll soak a couple of tees a day.. Mad dogs and Englishmen...

Give me October all year long...

kgb

We raced in 100 degree weather in May already, and that is not fun.  Not as fun as it could be, anyhow.  Best part of summer is when the lawn goes into hiding and doesn't need mowed, so that's pretty much where I stand. The CWS will start this weekend in Omaha, at some point in that week and a half we'll have quite the threat of tornado/straight wind/Biblical downpour at least once and maybe twice.

Come one, September!

Snipeaholic

Summer has arrived in FL. Fortunately we had a few days of spring-like temps and weather trends. My view of summer is it's a good time to minimize outdoor activities and enjoy the shade and air conditioning. This does not bode well with my interests and hobbies so I sweat and do so profusely. It is a long wait until fall here, usually November. I hate to wish time away since it never comes again but summer can hurry along.

Brad Eden

Summer is fleeting in Maine. All the seasons except for winter trip over themselves. Summer is over before you have time to bitch and moan too much about heat and humidity. Plus if like me, you are a 20 minute drive from the cool breeze of the Atlantic Ocean. Fall is my favorite season...but after a Maine winter...Summer can't come fast enough.

IMG_0489.JPG

Fall will come come soon enough...

Clueless1

Garden in.  Cut way back this year because the kids are saying we are going to be doing more of this this summer.  Should be starting this weekend, depending on how my son feels.  Just got wisdom teeth out this morning.

IMG_3161.JPG

paul frey

The summer weather so far here has been great.  Only had 1 or 2 days in the 90s.  Most days in the 70s.  I hate the heat.  If summer would always be like this it would be fantastic. 

RuffChaser

I didn't get out and band WC very much this past Spring. Lots of reasons but I have already old the wife next year will be different. We put in three new Windows over Memorial Day weekend. I bought an airless sprayer and will be painting doors and trim over the next few weeks. After that we will have the Gas Fireplace installed in the basement and I will try to finish the basement in time for my step-daughters birthday party in early September. Just in time for all house projects to come to a screeching halt as the grouse opener is just 8 days later. Addison will be 11. She is playing soccer for the first time. Scored her first goal on Sunday. That was pretty epic. Addison left today with her dad to go to Western SD for vacation. 

Last night it was as perfect as it gets here in MN. The wife worked late but I grilled filet mignon, and roasted carrots and potatoes for dinner. Washed it down with a Zac Brown blended red wine all while enjoying a mid 60s temps on the deck. No wind and the three setters lying all around us hoping for scraps. Just a nice relaxing mid-week evening. I am hoping this will be the last year for a lot of major remodeling projects.