• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Irishwhistler

CALM O'ER NEW HAVEN WATERS ~ A photograph.

Irishwhistler

5b225bbbc2042_P1030547SunsetOerNewHavenHarbor_FotorResized.thumb.jpg.fdcd366dc18626442af1fe3c072dd550.jpg

Aye Mates,

A most placid image o' evening waters on New Haven Harbor, her lavender hues play sweetly with the warming cast o' reflected light from the low hanging sun on the western horizon.   Do not be lulled into complacency by her beautiful allure for she has struck fear into the hearts o’ more than a few with her sudden rage on a southwest blow, meself included.   A January duck hunt I was on in the late 80’s had a  ferocious chop lapping at our transom as we headed due east to seek shelter after hastily picking up a full rig o' broadbill decoys which sat in a tangled mess o' anchor line on our boat’s floor.   As we came hard into the boat ramp,  huge windblown swells rushed o’er the transom filling the 18 foot hull with frigid water.  Such hazards can quickly rise out of incredibly deceptive beauty and claim the lives o' less than fortunate waterfowlers.  We were blessed to have survived this close call on unforgiving waters, other friends  I have known and hunted with were not so lucky.

Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

fishvik

I remember lot's of scenes like that in my youth, fishing evenings on the Long Island Sound. It's is a beautiful body of water and known for its quick changes in temperament. It has suffered a lot of injury in the past 400 years, but my buddies back in CT tell me it's coming back.

Jacquidog

I used to live on the sound at Ames point in West Haven.  Yes the sound is coming back with Oysters, all kinds of fish and wildlife.  Unfortunately duck hunting is on the decline all along the CT shore. I have seen the water change from peaceful to dangerous in a few minutes, especially in winter.

fishvik

I remember hunting ducks off the jetties before high school and in the evenings in an "affluent bedroom community of NYC". I don't figure that's happening any more. I heard that you can't even launch a boat with guns aboard any more from that communities boat ramps.