FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
tut

Ruff Tough Kennel tops?

tut

Thinking about adding one for storage on top of the kennel.  Read somewhere that some folks who bought the tops said the holes didn't line up correctly.  Appreciate thoughts.  PS.  Anyone know what size thread bolts they used to secure the top to the kennel itself.  I have an intermediate size for Sophie. 

Kansas Bound

I researched the bolts a couple months ago. I think they are 3/8

NVChukarChaser

I was looking at these as well. Interested to know if anyone likes them?

bigdog MN

If you mean the storage tray for the top, mine does not have any holes to screw to the kennel, it just fits over the raised portion of the kennel top and its very secure, does not shift while driving.  I find it very handy for birds and wet gear.  When I get home I just grab the container out of the truck, no mess, no fuss.

Cooter Brown

Tut, I think the threaded inserts in those kennels are 5/16 or 3/8 fine thread.

A trip to a hardware store (a real one) would answer the question. They would let you go outside to do a check with a couple of example screws.

Don't whatever you do buy the garbage screws at a box store.

braque du upstate

Meh. Mine didn't line up well. It worked well enough with washers. I took it off. Completely blocked my view . Maybe I couldn't get my hatch to close with it on? It didn't work in my rav 4. Love the kennel. The sides bow inward somewhat . Functional,  looks sloppy.  bought hardware at Lowe's. Brought the crate inside and matched up the bolts.  I'd think hard about buying. might work fine in bigger vehicles or trucks with a topper  .

tut

Thanks all.  Wondering if I should go get short plastic storage bin of the right size and just drill a couple of holes in it and secure it to the top with bolts.  That way I would have a lid as well.  Also, if I read it correctly the top is about 8" tall and that would block my view out of the back of the 4Runner. 

25/06

I have two of their Kennels.

Call and ask them your question. It is not like they are a big company they are about 10 miles from my office in Tea South Dakota.

Don't let it throw you but an actual human that actually works there will answer the phone.:D

5b2bcbe9705f4_Screenshot-2018-6-21RufftoughKennelsTeaSouthDakota-GoogleSearch.jpg.18358a4c9f002161e3bd968b469a7546.jpg

oak stob

I personally find more value and ease in storage under a kennel than above but that is under a topper....just an idea.

BraqueLover

I have one of the toppers and like it a lot.  Mine just sits on the top over the raised portion of the kennel and works great.  It is stable.  I like being able to take it off when I want to.    I keep it full of an extra hat, shells, socks, leash, first aid stuff, chaps,  etc.  It’s always in there.  I like mine and find it quite handy.