FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
mccuha

Bear Sprays

mccuha

I started a topic about sidearms for bear country. I was already planning on taking some due to everyone mentioning it. So is there one better than the other or all created equal.  This is something that I never have had a need yo purchase 

martyg
2 minutes ago, mccuha said:

I started a topic about sidearms for bear country. I was already planning on taking some due to everyone mentioning it. So is there one better than the other or all created equal.  This is something that I never have had a need yo purchase 

At some point in the pats someone sent the major brands to an independent third party lab for testing. Maybe Google it and see what comes up.

mccuha
3 minutes ago, martyg said:

At some point in the pats someone sent the major brands to an independent third party lab for testing. Maybe Google it and see what comes up.

I have googled this but what I seem to find out is each post has a different best. That’s why wonder if there’s 3or4 that’s basically the same thing.  I don’t know. 

fishvik

Which ever one you chose, make sure it has a quick release holster and a fastner that will fit multi-width straps ie. belts, backpack straps,etc. If you can get a dummy can and practice unholstering it.

martyg
6 minutes ago, mccuha said:

I have googled this but what I seem to find out is each post has a different best. That’s why wonder if there’s 3or4 that’s basically the same thing.  I don’t know. 

The big question is how do you measure "The Best"? Not having conducted any third party independent testing on the product I could see the following criteria being measure - how you weight each criteria is another discussion:

- Concentration of active ingredients.

- Ease of deployment.

- Accuracy.

- Velocity of propellant when exiting the can as a deterrent to wind effect.

- Maybe concentration of solids as a deterrent to wind effect?

I write for a few publications and at least one is relying on me to bring more objective measures to product testing. Most product tests end up being adverwhorials that are an extension of a brand's ad buy in that publication - so you have to take them with a grain of slat.

If you are flying somewhere you will be at the mercy of what the local retailer sells. Maybe call a few shops in Jackson, West Yellowstone and Anchorage to see what they carry?

fishvik

Udap and Counterassault are pretty popular in this area.

mart

Both UDAP and Counter Assault are good. One of the responsibilities of my crew on this oilfield project is wildlife intervention. We use the UDAP. It's available from Cabelas in a two pack, one the actual spray and one an inert trainer. I'd advise not testing your actual spray as that can cause the the nozzle to get gummed up and not function when you need it. That would be embarrassing, not to mention potentially painful. Buy the two pack and use the trainer to familiarize yourself with the operation of the canister. Also understand that the distances they state are under perfect conditions. 25-30 feet is more realistic and significantly less if there is any wind. And you are going to get a secondary exposure. It's pretty much unavoidable unless the wind is directly at your back. UDAP makes a holster that will allow you to fire the canister from the holster is needed.

bob-mt
1 hour ago, fishvik said:

Udap and Counterassault are pretty popular in this area.

same here...….also commented on your other post.....bob

406dn

I have carried Counter Assault,,, so far never used it for a real situation. I have practiced with canisters that have gone past their expiration date. The active ingredients do not degrade so much it is the enviable loss of propellent that renders the spray out of date.

Some things for consideration,,,,,

Think about the length of spray time the product is rated for,,,,,longer is better.

I always take two canisters with me,,,,,one if I need it and one if I have used up one and still have to get back to my rig from the back country.

Not a problem during the summer,,,but during fall hunting seasons the canister needs to be kept warm,,,like inside a coat,,,, or if it is needed between 10 to maybe 40 degrees,,, the propellent will be quite anemic.

Practice getting to it and  getting the trigger guard off, so that it is automatic to you. 

mccuha

Thanks for the info guys.  Both sprays mentioned is ones I’ve seen in. Reviews